You are not logged in.

#1 28-03-04 22:19:42

ordit pete

Should all ADI trainers be ORDIT registered?

I run a small ORDIT registered ADI training company in SE London/Kent and I am horrified at the number of PDI's I get coming to me who have been training with non ORDIT registered companies. The majority have failed two part 3's and are desperate for help. Most of them have no idea what the "core competencies" are. Some have paid in excess of £2,000 and have no grasp whatever what the part three is all about. If I have time I can usually help them, but unfortunately some come to me far too late. I cannot name names but I think most of you know who the worst offending company is. Any comments please about mandatory membership of ORDIT. What a bizarre situation we are in when you have to be an ADI to teach learners, but any old Tom, Dick or Harry can train PDI's.

28-03-04 22:19:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Should all ADI trainers be ORDIT registered?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 28-03-04 22:39:53

Cheddar
Verified Member
Website

Pete - I am a non-ORDIT qualified trainer, since the company I work for isn't on the register and therefore doesn't require me to be   roll

Although I don't wish to discuss individual companies, I would like to point out that some of the larger ones are working harder to improve their training standards.  I know for a fact that my company employs at least two full-time staff trainers, and the 'weaker' trainers are located and trained accordingly.

On a personal note, I was thoroughly trained to conduct Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the ADI examinations (plus Cardington) by a former SE ADI, who wasn't on the ORDIT register as he believed his work didn't need ORDIT approval.  He was never out of work!  tongue

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet here, but I know I am an excellent trainer, not just from the passes my PDI's gain, but also from the feedback I get from the trainees and the companies that sometimes take them on a pink licence.

Just be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush  wink

Cheddar  :twisted:

Active Driving Solutions
Ged Wilmot & Claire Wilmot - Highly Qualified & Experienced ADI Trainers (Grade 6)

DSA ORDIT Approved ADI Training & Development

We also provide ADI Train the Trainer Courses, ORDIT Registration Guidance,
Fleet & Corporate Driver Development, SAFED for Vans, Advanced Driver Training, and more.

Visit our website:  www.activedrivingsolutions.com

#3 28-03-04 22:46:58

Badger

For some reason that I have never understood the ORDIT register is voluntary.

There are no guidelines for ADI Trainers that I am aware of and as a result there is a wide disparity of methods, input and standards.

This is reflected in what learners do on their tests.

The bigger schools such as BSM have tended to set the benchmarks and ADIs in turn trained by their "graduates" are usually taught the standard methods.

However I dont think that ORDIT itself is necessarily a strong enough influence on what is taught.

ADIs should be taught by a single source and that source should be Cardington, or the outsourced equivalent,  with regional training establishments around the country.

Just my view

Badger

#4 29-03-04 06:56:51

bigred
Verified Member
Website

More and more potential instructors are enquiring if we are ORDIT registered.

We are actually going through the process at the moment. But the help and advice given by our local SE has been negligible. We find the guidelines vague and are not sure what the overall requirements are.

As ORDIT is all about standards I think they should set some clear ones!

I'm not sure ORDIT should be compulsory but it should be getting so crucial and relevant that we couldn't do with out it.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 29-03-04 19:39:14

ordit pete

Cheddar wrote:

Pete - I am a non-ORDIT qualified trainer, since the company I work for isn't on the register and therefore doesn't require me to be   roll

Although I don't wish to discuss individual companies, I would like to point out that some of the larger ones are working harder to improve their training standards.  I know for a fact that my company employs at least two full-time staff trainers, and the 'weaker' trainers are located and trained accordingly.

On a personal note, I was thoroughly trained to conduct Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the ADI examinations (plus Cardington) by a former SE ADI, who wasn't on the ORDIT register as he believed his work didn't need ORDIT approval.  He was never out of work!  tongue

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet here, but I know I am an excellent trainer, not just from the passes my PDI's gain, but also from the feedback I get from the trainees and the companies that sometimes take them on a pink licence.

Just be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush  wink

Cheddar  :twisted:

Hi Cheddar
If you say you are an excellent trainer why don't you join a Company that is ORDIT regisered? Until ORDIT registration is made mandatory how does the public know where to go? Unfortunately they tend to go for the Companies that spend the most on advertising and produce the slickest (not the most truthful) sales presentation.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-03-04 19:56:29

ordit pete

bigred wrote:

More and more potential instructors are enquiring if we are ORDIT registered.

We are actually going through the process at the moment. But the help and advice given by our local SE has been negligible. We find the guidelines vague and are not sure what the overall requirements are.

As ORDIT is all about standards I think they should set some clear ones!

I'm not sure ORDIT should be compulsory but it should be getting so crucial and relevant that we couldn't do with out it.

Regards,

Hi Bigred
Have you tried contacting the ORDIT office at the DSA, they will send you the rules and regulations.
The ORDIT rules are quite clear all ADI's must be a minimum grade 5, be qualified for a minimum year and be ORDIT tested on whatever they are registered to teach every two years. Your premises must be comply with Health & Safety regulations and you must keep detailed records on each trainee, which can be inspected at random on the inspection. Any decent trainer who has an in depth knowledge of the ADI examinations should easily be able to pass the ORDIT inspection. The trouble is that many "trainers" just do not know what is required, they make it up as they go along, hence the abysmal part 3 pass rate and the loss of some potentially excellent instructors to the profession.

#7 29-03-04 20:13:47

ordit pete

Badger wrote:

For some reason that I have never understood the ORDIT register is voluntary.

There are no guidelines for ADI Trainers that I am aware of and as a result there is a wide disparity of methods, input and standards.

This is reflected in what learners do on their tests.

The bigger schools such as BSM have tended to set the benchmarks and ADIs in turn trained by their "graduates" are usually taught the standard methods.

However I dont think that ORDIT itself is necessarily a strong enough influence on what is taught.

ADIs should be taught by a single source and that source should be Cardington, or the outsourced equivalent,  with regional training establishments around the country.

Just my view

Badger

Hi Badger
You are quite right there are a great disparity of methods taught out there to PDI's, unfortunately the majority are wrong (hence the 30% part 3 pass rate).
The reason that the DSA are slow on pushing for mandatory membership is that ADI testing is a "nice little earner" for them. 25,000 people on average a year take part 1 at least once (some 3 or 4 times since the video game was introduced), an awful lot take parts 2 & 3 three times. Work it out for yourself!!.
The DSA teaching instructors are you sure??, they are a testing organisation, surely that's only one step away from them teaching learners isn't it?
ORDIT is not perfect but it is at least a reasonable benchmark to base instructor training on.

#8 29-03-04 20:34:00

Cheddar
Verified Member
Website

ordit pete wrote:

Hi Cheddar
If you say you are an excellent trainer why don't you join a Company that is ORDIT regisered? Until ORDIT registration is made mandatory how does the public know where to go? Unfortunately they tend to go for the Companies that spend the most on advertising and produce the slickest (not the most truthful) sales presentation.

Pete, unfortunately, my financial and personal situation doesn't allow me to just quit my job and get another one, although I have been looking!  Please don't think I'm shying away (or am afraid of) ORDIT registration, because I'm not - bring it on  big_smile  I'd welcome registration!

I have very recently been offered another job with another large company, which isn't ORDIT registered either, and a second large company (that is ORDIT registered) may employ me, but requires me to teach L's - and that isn't something I want to do   roll

As far as my own PDI's are concerned, their money is very well spent.   Having attended a recent meeting with my two local SE ADI's, they say that for the most part, the reason the pass rate is so low is because PDI's are going in for their Part 3 tests unprepared and far too early!

It's a vicious circle - PDI's are applying for their test too early in order to account for the 12-18 week wait, and then when they are approaching the test date and realise they aren't ready, are unwilling to postpone it for another 12 weeks.

Don't get me wrong - there are many many awful trainers out there, and I agree that a regulatory body would be great for our training industry.  But the low pass rate isn't ALL down to quality of training - some are simply unwilling to take the advice they are given wink

Active Driving Solutions
Ged Wilmot & Claire Wilmot - Highly Qualified & Experienced ADI Trainers (Grade 6)

DSA ORDIT Approved ADI Training & Development

We also provide ADI Train the Trainer Courses, ORDIT Registration Guidance,
Fleet & Corporate Driver Development, SAFED for Vans, Advanced Driver Training, and more.

Visit our website:  www.activedrivingsolutions.com

#9 29-03-04 21:32:17

DSE
Verified Member
Website

I am ordit inspected and approved, but I agree with every word of Cheddar's post above.

The sales pitch of suggesting qualification in under 6 months must take some of the blame. PDIs are then reluctant to take any longer resulting in under prepared test candidates.

Discussions with my SEs produce similar comments.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#10 30-03-04 14:49:12

ordit pete

DSE wrote:

I am ordit inspected and approved, but I agree with every word of Cheddar's post above.

The sales pitch of suggesting qualification in under 6 months must take some of the blame. PDIs are then reluctant to take any longer resulting in under prepared test candidates.

Discussions with my SEs produce similar comments.

I quite agree with you about unethical selling of driving instructor training courses, I worked for a training company where the salespeople (not ADI's) who were on a commission only basis would tell their prospects what they wanted to hear about length of time for qualifying.
When I interview my prospects I tell them the truth, I won't get rich but at least I can sleep at night!!
I think the whole business of bad instructor training will blow up soon and everybody will suffer even the good guys.

#11 30-03-04 15:35:14

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

In answer to your question, Yes.

Board footer