You are not logged in.

#1 15-08-10 17:28:26

apples69

Starting part 2 - any tips and advice to pass 1st time?

i'm just about to start my part 2 and i've been told by my trainer that i should read the dsa learning to drive book for the part 2 and when i pass the part 2, then i should read the dsa driving essentials!

i'm starting to read the dsa driving essentials now, i dont want to be panicking trying to cram all the book when i start part 3, so i thought it best to read both the dsa learning to drive book and dsa driving essentials now a few pages a day so it sinks in

any other advice from people that have been through part 2? smile

15-08-10 17:28:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting part 2 - any tips and advice to pass 1st time?

#2 15-08-10 17:44:46

driver69

I'm not a part 2 or 3 trainer and I stand to be corrected but I don't see the need to be reading the learning to drive book. Driving the essential skills, definitley; as that is the blueprint of the DSA system of driving. On part 2 I would have thought they do not want to see you driving like a learner but a confident and safe driver and make progress when possible.

#3 16-08-10 08:34:22

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Didn't you read those books in preparation for your Part 1 test????

As driver67 suggests, read the essential skills because it's all in there, and I would also read the highway code about another 100 times!

good luck

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#4 16-08-10 19:19:00

apples69

i only reached chapter 2 of the dsa driving essentials book for my part 1, but reading it now for my part 2

#5 17-08-10 05:57:27

may
Verified Member

I didn't read anything for my part 2 as I'd read the essential skills for my part 1.

I just kept reading the essential skills and still do. Also the highway code is never far away.

#6 17-08-10 07:57:33

Spike
Verified Member

Essential Skills is very useful, but don't rely just on that. The most important aspect of Part 2 training is practice, and lots of it!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 17-08-10 09:12:43

Aspyre

Reading a book isn't going to change your driving much - especially since anyone aiming to become an ADI should already have the necessary knowledge.

Just the same as with learners, it isn't knowing what to do which counts, it's what they actually do in real situations. The only way that can happen is if they have someone who can pick up on their habitual performance and then help them change it.

You should be doing loads of practice - at least some of it with someone who can tell you where you are going wrong, and who can help you put it right.

It's up to you, but if you can't drive to the required standard right now, going out on your own and driving a lot after reading a book probably won't change things that much. It might, but then it might not - and you won't know.

#8 17-08-10 19:30:53

apples69

i'll be starting my part 2 in 3 weeks time, i've been told to read, read and read the dsa driving essentials and treat that as my bible and really understand it, as its the foundation for part 2 and part 3

#9 17-08-10 19:47:17

VandADI
Administrator

The one book that I found out to be my bible was "The Driving Instructors Handbook by John Miller/Margaret Stacey"
In my opinion, an absolute MUST!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 17-08-10 21:46:38

apples69

The one book that I found out to be my bible was "The Driving Instructors Handbook by John Miller/Margaret Stacey"
In my opinion, an absolute MUST!

whats the difference with that and the dsa driving essentials book?

#11 17-08-10 22:00:56

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

"Driving, the essential skills" tells you how to drive
"The driving instructors handbook" tells you..... how to instruct

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#12 21-08-10 16:07:41

KevD
Website

Hi Apples,

Now that you've (presumably?) passed your part 1 you should have a very sound knowledge of whats contained in Essential Skills, Highway code & DI Handbook - if not you've been extremely lucky to pass! As said above the secret to passing part 2 is practice coupled with coaching from your trainer (I would question trainers ability if you're only now moving onto essential skills). Driving isn't new to you but you could probably do with some polishing to get rid of the bad habits, we all did - for me it was lack of using the main mirror, too long driving lorries! Just relax and drive!!!
If your trainer is worth their salts they will probably teach you talk-through at part 2, use this to guide yourself through each manoeuvre, junction, hazard etc - this will also make part 3 much simpler when the time comes.
At the end of the day part 2 only requires you to demonstrate that you are a safe, competent driver which I'm sure you are.

Good Luck

Kev

www.saltiredrivertraining.co.uk
Driver training from a different perspective

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 25-08-10 06:49:20

apples69

Hi Apples,

Now that you've (presumably?) passed your part 1 you should have a very sound knowledge of whats contained in Essential Skills, Highway code & DI Handbook - if not you've been extremely lucky to pass! As said above the secret to passing part 2 is practice coupled with coaching from your trainer (I would question trainers ability if you're only now moving onto essential skills). Driving isn't new to you but you could probably do with some polishing to get rid of the bad habits, we all did - for me it was lack of using the main mirror, too long driving lorries! Just relax and drive!!!
If your trainer is worth their salts they will probably teach you talk-through at part 2, use this to guide yourself through each manoeuvre, junction, hazard etc - this will also make part 3 much simpler when the time comes.
At the end of the day part 2 only requires you to demonstrate that you are a safe, competent driver which I'm sure you are.

Good Luck

Kev

I started the part 1 last august 2009 and past it 1st time august 2010 - taken me a full year my fault because i was only ever going once a week to the class and never bothered to any at home, only during the few weeks before the part 1 test i grafted away.

i have only just started to read the dsa driving essentilas and the hc, i have not touched them at all when i was studying for the part 1

#14 30-08-10 07:06:17

hector
Verified Member
Website

You need proper training, 10 ten training amount in practice, and its a good idea to do other advanced tests in preparation, such as the Diamond Advanced as this is pretty much marked to the same standard, or higher in reality by inexperienced examiners.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#15 15-09-10 20:07:59

apples69

i got my 1st lesson on the part 2 this sunday coming, my instructor told me the first lesson will be to see what my driving is like and then go on from there

#16 16-09-10 13:27:40

KevD
Website

I think it is fair to assume that your trainer needs to establish where your skills/weaknesses are, so it is right to start with an assessment, be fair to him/her and drive as you normally would - you'll find progress easier if your both singing from the same hymn sheet.
Use their skills and experience to improve yours! Lets us know how you get on  smile

Kev

#17 16-09-10 19:35:27

mdf0075

Good luck,

I have just pass my part 2 last week. The biggest tip i can give is every min you are driving, drive the way your training is showing you.
Dont switch back to your normal habbits then back to part 2 standard just for lessons!!!!!!

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#18 16-09-10 19:44:34

Doc
Verified Member
Website

In my experience, an assessment drive takes no longer than 15-20mins. In this time i will have identified enough weaknesses within a general drive around a built up area, to begin training. Most PDI's will display faults or misunderstandings within the mspsl routine that require correcting. How far i progress from there is dependent upon how much training is needed and the rate of learning by the PDI.

#19 18-09-10 08:49:26

apples69

well i've got my part 2 assessment drive tommorow, cant wait been excited all week, passed my test 15 years ago, so i know the instructor will pick up some bad habbits with my driving, no doubt about that!

will let you know tommrow what happens

#20 22-09-10 22:10:17

apples69

Well I had my part 2 driving assessment last sunday.basically the instructor told me

i was driving too fast and over the speed limit sometimes

driving wide

not using the gear properly

he has told me to spend 8 hours this week doing

pom - prepare, observe, maneuver

1st gear, biting point - then 8 point mirror check inc blind spots

concentrate on moving off, stopping, turning left and emerging left

so i'm spending 1hr each day after work on this and also I drive like i have been told to work and back

#21 04-10-10 19:38:20

apples69

I think it is fair to assume that your trainer needs to establish where your skills/weaknesses are, so it is right to start with an assessment, be fair to him/her and drive as you normally would - you'll find progress easier if your both singing from the same hymn sheet.
Use their skills and experience to improve yours! Lets us know how you get on  smile

Kev

Hi Kev,

I had the assessment drive 3 weeks ago (just had my 2nd part 2 lesson yesterday)

Well the assesment drive was kind of scary, was a bit nervous to start of with, 2 instructors sat in the car, senior instructor had the marking sheet, almost right away, he was writing on the paper........anyways he found lots of faults like

driving too fast, driving wide letting the car drift to the right of the road, cockpit drill, mirror checks

lots of mistakes but then again i passed my test nearly 19 years ago!

was told to use practice POM (prepare observation, manuvers) and moving off/stopping, turning left, emerging left, after the assessement drive - so been practising after work 1hr a day - min of 8 hours a week!

1st part 2 lesson - told to practice turn in the road and left corner reverse

had my 2nd part 2 yesterday, faults found were cutting in, not stopping at on the traffic lights stop line, lane discipline and signal timing

So its lots and lots of practice needed to get rid of all the faults and hopefully I aim to book my part 2 before xmas

#22 04-10-10 19:39:28

apples69

Good luck,

I have just pass my part 2 last week. The biggest tip i can give is every min you are driving, drive the way your training is showing you.
Dont switch back to your normal habbits then back to part 2 standard just for lessons!!!!!!

your 100% correct, thats what i am doing

#23 16-10-10 20:37:06

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

For me, the best way of getting to a good driving standard is a combination of training and practice.  Every single time you get in the car, it is chance to practice.  After doing DIAmond test and IAM training I was getting to the end of my wits because I failed both tests first time.  The main reason was I was trying too hard to do what I thought they wanted.  I learnt from each test (as well as part 1 and 2 training)

I put all the knowledge and skills I had learnt into practice, and decided to drive EXACTLY HOW I THINK IT SHOULD BE DONE.  Passed RoSPA first time, with GOLD. 

For me, a relaxed planned and smooth drive is all I am for, everything else fits into place so long as you have been practicing ISPGA/MSM constantly thoughout driving. 

I also think that the devil is in the details, the finest, smallest details.  I find this when teaching, I am VERY specific on what is good, and exactly WHICH part needs to be improved.  For me I pride myself on use of smooth brakes, most drivers cannot brake smoothly to save their life, let alone driving through town without stopping.  Hopefully combining DSA (MSM) with eco and RoSPA/IAM (ISPGA) with progress; the mixture is down to you based on the info availble to you.  If I can make good progress I will do it, but if not it's smooth and eco all the way. 

Finally commentary is CRITICAL I think to improving your drive and concentration, most drivers are luckly to drive with 15% concentration on the driving task, commentary raises this siginificantly.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#24 19-10-10 12:12:20

KevD
Website

Hi Apples,

Sorry I haven't been on for a wee while, good to see you're still enjoying your training and obviously have lots to work with!

It is definately worth while spending a lot of time on mastering the basics so that when you move onto part 3 you only need to concentrate on the core competences required to instruct.

Ians post above has a lot of good advice although if you're still working full time whilst training it may be a bit difficult to find the time to fit anything else in! But definately get your trainer to go over commentary with you! Like Ian points out this will significantly improve your concentration.

Lastly try to find someone in your area who is at the same point of training as you, (you may find someone on here) and buddy up with them for private practice, you will learn from each other.

Keep posting the updates!!

Kev

#25 28-06-12 16:03:14

Newrose
Website

There is no need to read books for part2, you have already understand enough theory because you have passed part1 already. What you need is few driving lessons from any experienced driving instructor and be able to carry out routines for moving off, stopping, negotiate junctions etc.

Board footer