You are not logged in.

#1 10-06-05 23:56:45

Tonto

Fiesta - burning clutch smell

My Fiesta was just over 1 year old when I bought it and the garage replaced the clutch for a new one after going in with a gearbox problem, all under warranty. The new clutch has done about 10000 miles now, but when my pupils do a reverse to the left uphill, there is this horrible burning smell that really is unpleasant. I decided to book it in to my local Ford garage for investigation, thinking that the clutch was on its way out. However, they told me that they had to ring Ford and the reason is because clutches are no longer allowed to be made out of asbestos due to health and safety reasons, so they have new materials to replace the asbestos, which gives off this smell when the clutch is overcooked. I was told this is normal for this new type of clutch and is nothing to worry about.
Anyone know a good air freshener?

Tonto

10-06-05 23:56:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fiesta - burning clutch smell

#2 14-06-05 08:00:29

MiniRob
Verified Member
Website

My MINI does the same.  By the time you start straightening up on an uphill L rev, there's a wonderful smell in the car!

#3 18-06-05 07:10:05

Anonymous

Thats funny... My clutch gets a real hammering .. but no smell...new  Fiesta 6000 miles.

#4 24-06-05 17:51:39

Peter Leigh
Verified Member

(Sorry not guest above)

Thats funny... My clutch gets a real hammering .. but no smell...new Fiesta 6000 miles.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 08-09-05 23:54:49

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

My old Fiesta used to do this 52 reg 1.4LX petrol, but my new one doesn't (05 reg 1.6 Zetec S diesel)

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#6 09-09-05 07:10:27

la.monikita
Verified Member

i think any clutch will start smelling if its kept on a bite for a long time without a pause, some people will keep the clutch biting when emerging, balancing the car that way i say-POOR clutch. :cry:  i don't let my pups do that, i would advise a small pause with foot brake when reversing up hill

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 09-09-05 16:22:33

Mmm

Yeah la.mon its just the friction surfaces heating up, like you get with brakes when driving in anger. Although rubber-dampened flywheels on certain cars dont help.

#8 10-09-05 15:54:09

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Nissan Micra on an 04 plate - the clutch has always smelled of rotten eggs when hot. My pupils look at me funny when they do their first hill starts - I have to tell them it's the car not me.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 08-10-05 21:06:00

gasheadADI

la.monikita wrote:

i think any clutch will start smelling if its kept on a bite for a long time without a pause, some people will keep the clutch biting when emerging, balancing the car that way i say-POOR clutch. :cry:  i don't let my pups do that, i would advise a small pause with foot brake when reversing up hill

That's what I thought. My car has just done 1000miles and I had a pupil doing L/Rev up a hill this morning - mmmm smell that clutch!

Didn't for one minute think it was on it's way (not after 2 weeks!), just presumed it was because it was taking a hammering!

#10 08-10-05 21:53:33

MisterM

A few years ago I let my 1st car (mini metro) slip downhill from a   parking bay onto a piece of grass. Couldn't drive the thing back up the hill because the front wheels just dug into the grass :oops:

Had to get my old man to tow me uphill  roll I can still taste the burning smell from his clutch (eggy) lol Didn't do any lasting damage though!

MisterM

Board footer