You are not logged in.

#1 30-07-10 16:43:54

bourneagain

ped x and signals

Hi All
with my training buddy Done the pst phase2 the other day ped x  and signals, toatlly forgot about hand signals on the move  sad

Also pulled him over after trying to cross the solid white line at traffic lights, told him the why what etc, after when moving away he signalled, but the only thing in our vicinity was oncoming cars, nothing behind and a ped walking up front but away from us, i asked him he did we really needed the sigal, he insisted that we did if only for the oncoming cars, even in the debrief after, we were still saying the opposite, i said we didn't need it he said we did lol, could anyone clear this up please, as the un-nessacary signals are a little bit of a weak point in that situation.

Thanks

30-07-10 16:43:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ped x and signals

#2 30-07-10 21:03:03

Aspyre

With my pupils, I always use the reason "is there anyone who will benefit?" when signalling (no big surprise: I reckon most people use that).

When cars are coming the opposite way I would normally expect pupils to signal. The car might be intending to pull over in front of you (not everyone uses signals properly, of course, so just because they aren't signalling doesn't mean they aren't going to pull across). It will also warn the otther cars not to go too wide on their side past parked vehicles, for example.

I ask mine why they signalled or not, and if they give me a decent explanation I am often happy - even if two pupils did the opposite thing in very similar situations. If they thought about it and what they did wasn't dangerous there's often no harm done. Sometimes signalling when near a junction etc. can be misleading, for example.

Every situation is different though, so I don't like do-this-do-that approaches.

So, in my opinion, I'd signal to let oncoming cars know what I'm doing if they're close enough to need to know or the situation might lead to them needing to know. I'd expect my pupils to at least be starting to attempt to assess things in a similar way.

#3 01-08-10 20:01:27

bourneagain

Hi thanks for the reply, would you advise that on all single carriageway roads, just that the road we were on was really wide, and we were only moving away from the side into our normall driving position, didn't need to avoid anything else on the road before reaching that position.

Thanks Again

Paul

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 01-08-10 20:54:49

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Hi thanks for the reply, would you advise that on all single carriageway roads, just that the road we were on was really wide, and we were only moving away from the side into our normall driving position, didn't need to avoid anything else on the road before reaching that position.

I would suggest that if there is doubt as to whether you should be indicating, then you should be indicating. I tell my lot that if it's blatantly obvious there's no need to indicate (when m/off or parking) then don't. If they're unsure, then do.

As long as the lack of an indication doesn't 'cause chaos then can't see any problem.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 01-08-10 21:49:45

Aspyre

Thanks Again

Paul

You never know what other people are going to do, or what they intend to do, so yes. If someone could benefit, do it.

Board footer