You are not logged in.

#1 10-06-05 08:38:12

all_alps
Verified Member

VW Polo 1.4 2000 X reg

Can someone help me? I have a Polo 1.4 year 2000. It has done 23k. I have recently replaced the clutch. Around 6000 miles ago. Now it seems the clutch has gone again. Whenever i put it into reverse gear it crunches. When ever i try putting it into 1st or 2nd i struggle. The gearbox makes a noise.  It seems as if the clutch isnt fully down, however it is. I have recently had it adjusted and this fixed the problem for about 2 weeks. Now i have the same problem. I cant imagine the clutch going on 6000 miles. Has anyone had this problem??? Please help me!!!

10-06-05 08:38:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: VW Polo 1.4 2000 X reg

#2 10-06-05 10:50:17

maybeoneday

If the clutch is hydraulic, I would say you had a leak, or are low on fluid!!

If not hydraulic, don't know lol  lol  lol

#3 10-06-05 12:58:32

Mmm

When the clutch was first replaced, was it for the same faults you're describing now, ie difficulty engaging gears smoothly? If so Im surprised the clutch itself was replaced, as maybeoneday says the first thing to look at would usually be a problem with the hydraulics eg a leak. Clutches usually fail by wearing out ie slipping, provided they have been correctly installed in the first place. Worth double-checking: did they replace the clutch plate(s) or the clutch master/slave cylinders? If the latter then the problem Im sure would be something to do with the hydraulics, AGAIN.
As for getting it adjusted, Im not familiar with the adjustment on this model, but often adjustment is via 2 locking nuts, if they arent tightened together enough then conceivably the primary nut will vibrate loose and cause the clutch to come out of adjustment. An outside chance. What did the adjustment 2 weeks ago consist of? if it was just a top up of clutch fluid, then the problem id say is DEFFO a hydraulic leak.
A good way to check is to pump the clutch pedal 3 or 4 times, then hold it down and try to change gear (rather than simply changing gear after the first push of the pedal). If that makes changing gear smoother, then i think you have the answer.

#4 10-06-05 13:26:24

Anonymous

Guys, MANY THANKS for your replies. The clutch is controlled by a cable so there isnt any fluid level to check. This means there wont be a leak anywhere. i am sorry but i am not sure what was done when the clutch was adjusted. i had someone to do this for me. he checked it last night and the nuts are on securely. I am at a lost cause now and really getting frustrated with the car especially when i have my part 2 next thursday. just another point. When i go from 1 to 2 and then put it into reverse it doesnt crunch.... Does this infor help anyone to help me???

#5 10-06-05 13:32:36

Anonymous

Sorry its me Alps i am logged on as a guest because i am at work!

#6 10-06-05 13:46:14

Mmm

i think the difference between 1st-rev and 2nd-rev is just due to how the gears and linkages are laid out in the box and would be consistent with a clutch problem.
You say its cable operated, the simple solution is to adjust it again!! big_smile  pretty straightforward to do as long as access to the nut(s) is easy, but like i say i dont know this car. I assume youre getting the adjustments done at a VW dealer? Or someone who knows this model car cos sometimes the thing that looks like the clutch adjustment thingy ISNT or should only be adjusted in unison with something else, eg on my opel manta there are 3 points to adjust the clutch (pedal end, clutch fork end, and ballstud at opposite end of lever), only one is the right one and its also the hardest to get to!
Possibly the cable has stretched or is kinked, worth checking. Failing that probably an internal fault with the clutch such as broken diaphragm/weak spring or something?
In any case you want it sorted sooner rather than later else youll be chewing up yer gearbox...if the engine and box use the same oil you might want to get it changed along with the oil filter once the problem is sorted so that youre not putting metal filings (that will have worn from the gears during the crunching etc) through your engine for the next Xthousand miles.

Board footer