You are not logged in.

#1 21-06-10 21:30:24

TOLLADAY123

Which driving instructor school should I choose?

I want to embark on a new career as a driving instructor but am struggling to decide who to learn with? I am looking at BSM and KEy instructor training! Has anyone got any experience with either please and their franchise offers???

I am based in the Malvern, Worcestershire area.

21-06-10 21:30:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Which driving instructor school should I choose?

#2 21-06-10 22:44:20

Aspyre

You don't need to join the school you train with, Tolladay. If they are trying to tie you into such an arrangement you need to think carefully.

In its simplest terms, you have to balance two key factors when you are newly qualified - as much independence as possible vs. the difficulties in getting pupils to teach.

Some people succeed at either extreme - either totally independent but manage to get a lot of work, or tied into a very tight franchise and get plenty of work.

The reality is somewhere in the middle for the majority.

There's nothing wrong with training with a national or local franchise, but just be wary of tying yourself down too much.

#3 22-06-10 06:19:49

Roadmaster
Verified Member

You need to pass part one before you even think about franchises, and you can do that without spending any money on so called 'training'.

#4 22-06-10 18:15:33

casper

Hi tolladay, as it happens i am with key, all i can tell you is from my experience i have found them to be helpfull, flexible and honest in everything that they have told me that they would do. They have a number of different packages so you can choose one likely to suit you.
Before starting my training i looked at many other schools, and talked to a few. Steve and Linda gave up a lot of their time to talk to myself and my wife answering any questions that we had. You are not obligated to sign up with any firm after your training so i would concentrate on that first before thinking about afterwards.
Hope this is a help, but it is only my personal wiew on this company.

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 22-06-10 18:16:26

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

If you give your location I am sure somone on this forum could post some good recomendations for you?

Best wishes

James

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#6 22-06-10 19:32:57

TOLLADAY123

Thanks for your advice James - I am based in the Malvern, Worcestershire area.

#7 08-07-10 07:09:06

drivinginstructortrainer
Website

I totally agree with aspyre.

Be careful when it comes to courses  involving a franchise. I'm talking from my own experience. i originally signed a 24 month contract to begin from the day i passed my part 3 exam, which amounted to near £10,000. in return for some mediocre training.

Within the 24 month period i was lucky enough to make quick progress and begin instructor training for said company. Which allowed me to negotiate terms. But many that don't take that route are stuck with a contract with no real promise of work and no get out clause.

My advice would be to go for a training course that doesn't tie you in to further expense (franchise). Becoming a qualified instructor can take some time and over that period your circumstances / priorities and outlook can change. e.g. You may decide that you only want to work part time, but to cover a franchise fee it's difficult.

If you're fortunate enough to be able to work while gaining a full diary or have a little extra money to spend on marketing strategies, then less than half the amount of money saved on avoiding a franchise could be spent wisely on personal marketing, of which there are many. Avoiding having to tie yourself down to any one company altogether.

After all, once you're qualified you're pretty much on a level playing field with the majority of qualified Adi's, if pupils have the option to choose you then they will. Plus you still have the option to go on a franchise and at this stage you can negotiate better terms as they do not have the extra training as a bargaining tool.

Thanks TDIT. Good Luck

Many years of driving instructor training experience.

www.thedrivinginstructortrainer.co.uk

#8 08-07-10 12:22:20

graemeg
Verified Member
Website

Working as a independent driving instructor, with own vehicle. *Vehicle expenses at £37 per week
* Vehicle expenses estimated p/a : maintenance/finance £1200, Road Tax £100, Insurance £500

I think that must be a mistake!
I dont beleive a  ADI can finance and maintain a car for £37 per week.
I spend at leat half of that on tyres and servicing p/a.

Graeme

#9 08-07-10 13:21:14

looprevil
Verified Member

Independent trainer on a pay as you go basis increases your chances of success in my view.

Franchises are available during and following qualification regardless of where you have trained.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#10 09-07-10 16:46:47

Doc
Verified Member
Website

The quality of your trainer, the training course and your commitment to training will determine your chances of success, irrespective of whether the trainer is independant or with a franchise or whether you pay up front or as you train. There are good and bad in each sector and it is your task to source out the good ones. I took the decision to train with a school (LDC) and pay up front based on the information i gathered and my needs at the time. I have no regrets and many good things to say about my training and LDC. You have a response from casper as a starting point for key. If you can make contact with key instructors then all the better as that will give you a broader feel for the company. Likewise for BSM or any other school you may look into, contact as many instructors as possible anywhere in the country and build a profile and then you decide if any particular school is best placed to meet your needs or whether you will look to investigate the independant trainer route. I have only put this in order of school then independant purely because your question was specifically on schools and not because i favour one over the other as i have stated earlier, the quality is what you are looking for to best improve your chances.

#11 14-07-10 22:56:01

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

I think you've missed one 0 infront of £35

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 07-08-10 20:32:36

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Who did you decide to train with?
I recommend complete the registration process, send off for your CRB and while waiting for the paperwork to be processed, speak to as many schools as possible.  See the qualifications of your trainer and definitely pursue PAYG, I'd also only use a school that gives part one support for free.

LA

I want to embark on a new career as a driving instructor but am struggling to decide who to learn with? I am looking at BSM and KEy instructor training! Has anyone got any experience with either please and their franchise offers???

I am based in the Malvern, Worcestershire area.

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#13 27-08-10 14:09:47

tollhgv

Hi new to the forum but am in training with RED but definitely not a happy sole! the customer service staff are rude and I do wish I had read the forum discussions reg RED before signing up.  One question I would like to ask is did everyone get a breakdown of their course costs as I and  my wife requested a breakdown of the cost to be told we don't do one and wont do one!! Lets say I paid well over 2500k for my part 1 and 2 course ..is this the norm? Take my theory soon, ps I currently work as a HGV class 1 but was looking for a easier career after 2  injuries.

#14 27-08-10 14:13:50

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

I think you allright as a HGV Driver. No need to get louds of debs and then go back and do the same job like now

#15 21-09-10 14:29:34

tollhgv

:evil: RED are at it again....yep this time I am in early proceedings with the Trading Standards  Office over REd Driving shcool...great start to my new career. They also owe me out of pocket monies which I am having a hard fight to get back even though they assured me I would get these reimbursed within 3 weeks now 3 months!!!..hahha  RED are a joke.
3k down the bin in my opinion would be beter spent  elsewhere and def not with RED.

Board footer