You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif  photo Brentacre.gif

#1 31-05-10 19:14:19

bourneagain

meeting,passing other traffic.

HI All
I am new to this forum,and found most things interesting, so i have decided to try my first post.
I am about half way through my part 3 at the moment,and i am a bit unsure how to reassure a pupil when it would be safe to proceed when meeting and passing other vehicles, as i have found that they cannot judge if its safe or should stop and give way, i have explained priorities etc, and when its really obvious that they have to give way its not a problem, but like i said early on the problem arises when the gap is wider and they should be able to make progress things don't click into place.

Thanks
PAUL

31-05-10 19:14:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: meeting,passing other traffic.

#2 31-05-10 19:54:55

driver69

Sometimes if I have a pupil who has difficulty judging the width I will find a narrow quiet street with cars on both sides and let them go slowly down the street even getting closer than they should to each side and it gives them a feel for the width of the car in relation to their seating position in the car.

Another I have used when they are in the situation ask them to look at the gap and the width of the oncomming car and imagine the car beside itself in the gap with a couple of feet extra, would it fit? If so then there should be enough space. Hope that makes sense.

I also tell them If they don't know then don't go.

#3 01-06-10 09:50:34

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Yep.
Imagine 2 cars coming towards you in that gap, with both drivers with their arms out the window as if making an arm signal. If they'd break a finger nail the gap isnt big enough for us to "SHARE".

I tak about "sharing the gap". I try not to use questions like "is the gap big enough for us".  I prefer to say something like " If we both had our arms out the window, could we share the space without losing a fingernail".

The requirement is adequate clearance, and not a challenge to see if we can judge a space JUST wide enough for us to get through.

#4 01-06-10 11:20:30

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

This comes down to spatial awareness.  I sometimes get them out of the car ( in a quiet place) and pace out the steps across the width, then i get them to stand in the middle of the back of the car and stretch their arms out. 
They are usually surprised that they can almost touch both sets of tail lights at the same time.

Then its just a matter of applying themselves to the space between cars...If they could run in the gap with their arms out like an airplane  (plus a bit more) then there should be space. 

This usually gets a "are you serious" type response.

#5 01-06-10 17:47:49

bourneagain

Thanks for the reply people, i like all thoughts suggested and will try some out next time  big_smile.

thanks again
PAUL

Board footer