You are not logged in.

#1 20-02-10 00:15:07

The Saint
Verified Member

RED Driving School and LVG

I have made the thread into a sticky.

If you have any information, please post it here......

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

20-02-10 00:15:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: RED Driving School and LVG

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-02-10 21:15:13

Rob19

Hi everyone it seems that this item explains the identity of who are planning to take over Red.
Lets hope they honour the training on those existing customers of Red.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b … 034856.ece

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

#3 23-02-10 10:36:55

Macca
Verified Member

The problem Red have as highlighted by Marco Polo on 20 th Feb in the other Red thread now closed was:

"The trainers have too many PDIs to work with. They were tired and spread thin. I do not doubt their integrity in trying to help me get through the part 3 training. But they couldn't do it. The college where I trained is one of those that is going to be closed down and the trainers may have to look for alternative employment."

And this was before the problem so lets hope they increase the number of trainers to better match the 12,000 students plus they probably have in the pipeline already let alone the many thousands they will soon be adding as the instructor selling monster gets back into full swing.

#4 23-02-10 10:52:59

Rob19

You have hit the nail on the head.

I used to work for the College a few years ago and it used to be about a 2 to 4 week wait between sessions. I used to really feel bad when a PDI had an exam approaching, they've worked hard, never missed a session and just needed that extra confidence booster and we couldn't fit them in for that extra session.

I approached the College last summer as I had heard that there was a long wait at Leeds but was told they had no vacancies.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

#5 23-02-10 12:49:49

Macca
Verified Member

I note with interest that Red driving school and instructor training are now a division of a new limited company called Driving Results limited.

According to the latest BBC article it has been brought out of administration:

"Red Driving School bought out of administration

LVG, the parent company of driving instructor business Red Driving School, has been bought just days after going into administration. Private equity firm Kelso Place has acquired the business as a going concern and will continue to trade under the Red brand as normal. The firm told the BBC it had full confidence in LVG's management and had no plans for any redundancies. It said Red was profitable and had just suffered from cash-flow problems....." 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8528435.stm

It looks like the BBC were possibly misinformed the Company hasn't been rescued as a going concern, as such, the assets have been bought (rather hurriedly for my liking) and put into a new company leaving all the liabilities behind in LVG limited. Its starting to look more like a phoenix operation where all the assets have been transferred to Driving Results limited and most of the £ million's pounds worth of debts have been left behind in LVG limited which may now gradually go into liquidation. A very smart approach; as to rescue LVG limited as a going concern with all its liabilities may have taken a lot more money and been very risky because the hole they had dug was so deep. It also protects anyone paying money into Red as it will now go to this new company and not to the creditors of the old one. Thus potentially giving the company the opportunity to break the "Rob Peter to pay Paul" business model I referred to in the other now closed thread. Without continual growth it was obvious the Company would potentially go bust very quickly. Genuine driving schools unlike instructor training factories modified their business plans to take into account the potential affects of the recession.

What a great way to potentially write off a lot of debt! Potentially bad news though if you are a creditor of LVG. Unfortunately this puts the 10,000 or so active driving instructor training students of Red driving school at the mercy of the new Company and the transfer of any legal rights in respect to the orginal promises made or the training offered is now solely down to the discretion of new Red company Driving Results Limited.

What a fantastic start the driving school franchise will have with what is effectively free extensive Yellow Pages advertising for the next 12 months already paid for by LVG or not as the case may be! The company will potentially benefit from million of pounds of advertising it doesn't need to now pay for.  Expect big profits next year. Any other major school who is struggling should consider doing the same.

Regarding the other aspects of the article and cashflow - yes its creditors wanted paying (and I guess if you are not paying them you could call them investors who are not co-operating) but without the instant close No-money-needed facility (i.e. the Barclays online point of sale buy-now-pay-later loan option) the company probably found it was more difficult to sell every man and his dog a driving instructor training course as before and so sales rapidly died away. No doubt this facility was withdrawn for very good reason and followed a lot of complaints of alledged mis-selling and poor training spread over too long a period.

#6 23-02-10 21:18:36

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Nothing interesting about it. It's common for an adminstrator to change the name of subsidiary companies at the onset of administration.

Driving Results, and Driving Results holdings Ltd are the business concerns that were sold and not those that have bought them. They were set up under advisement of the Adminstrators upon being appointed. This is how they protect any further incomes and control the expenditure.

As much as you'd love there to be something underhand going on, and as much as you'd love that 1,000's of Red instructor training clients be left high and dry with no recourse, just so you can gob off about how awful it all is, I think you'll find that the new management will be honouring the previous contractual commitments.

Can you do me a favour, can you email me your source/evidence of the £millions of dividends paid to the previous directors of LVG you claim have been paid, because they don't seem to appear in their audited accounts. however, dividends from the RED businesses may have paid millions to LVG, the directors did not receive those dividends directly.

I'm sure it's true that LVG has been unable to pay some of their creditors recently. But neither could most companies that made commitments based on continued funding promises that were then withdrawn.

I'm led to believe that their funding shortfall is not entirely due to the budget sheets expenses exceeding income on the day to day running of the RED businesses, but due to an investment commitment made LVG based on support that was promised and in place, but has since been withdrawn.

It is not the 2 RED subsidiaries that are making the loss, as their accounts have shown profits consistantly and the Adminstrator has made it clear that they are still profitable, thus contradicting your claim that they were and are running a caterpillar scheme. (Robbing Peter to pay Paul as you put it).

#7 24-02-10 10:47:02

Macca
Verified Member

Hi Kevin

Driving Results Limited is a completely new company and it is not a subsidary of LVG limited as far as I can tell and as you say if the Administrators advised LVG to set this up with the sale of the companies assets in mind then I am sure it is all above board. The Administartor made it clear the company had lost £2.2 million in 16 weeks it may well have been profitable before this. Incidentally the Red operations were not subsidiaries of LVG limited they were trading names. LVG limited and the Red business were one and the same.

It is great news to hear that the ten of thousands of people who have bought driving instructor training may have their training honoured by this new company although I suspect any refunds of exam and registration fees or any other valid claims of mis-selling etc. may not be honoured. Although we need to wait until Driving Results Limited confirm this in writing to the students in due course exactly what obligations of the old Red driving school the new Red driving school will honour. Until then they are at the mercy and the good will of the new company and nothing is guranteed.

If you look at the published accounts of Red /LVG limited (available at companies house) you will see the company paid millions of pounds to the director shareholders over the years. It is there for all to see and there is nothing improper about this. My point was couldn't they have re-invested the money if as you say the Red part of the business was so succesful and profitable and avoid this drastic action? Red/LVG lost £2.2 million pounds in 16 weeks according to the Administrators. As 90% of the LVG business was Red instructor training and 6% was the Red driving school operation a total of 96% (again according to the last published accounts) and as the sales turnover of the company was down from £13.5 million to £9 million for a comparable period of 2009 again based on the figures published by the Administrators of £40 million for 12 months it appears obvious to me the massive drop in Red instructor training sales for the last 16 weeks resulted in Red/LVG going bust and the assets being sold on. Exactly why the sales dropped happens to coincide with Barclay Finance removing the point-of-sales buy-now-pay-later customer loan facility as reported in the Finacial Times following many complaints to various bodies of alledged mis-selling and other dubious practices.

There is nothing illegal about what has been done and you are right it is not uncommon (in the current climate) for the assets of a company to be sold on in this way if the Company is in such a mess it can not be rescued provided it was in the creditors best interests to do so. Unfortunately the creditors will now have to scramble to see what money they will get from the sale of these assets and anything that was left behind. I suspect it will be well short of what they were owed. Once we have the Administrtors Statement of Affairs we will see exactly how much was paid for the assets and how much debt they have really avoided by this action.

Naturally if you are able to present a more plausible explanation I do have a very open mind. If you know a senior manager or director of Red you may be able to show why my hypothesis is completely wrong. Of course it is possible that the directors tried to find an investor but they got cold feet when they looked at the books. Of course without this milstone of debt the new business/company should easily be able to be successful - at least for a year.

#8 24-02-10 10:58:36

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Can you email me your copy of their accounts please. smile

#9 24-02-10 11:08:40

Macca
Verified Member

Hi Kevin

I suggest you get them from Companies house it will only cost you about £1.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 24-02-10 15:29:18

the director
Website

Nothing interesting about it. It's common for an adminstrator to change the name of subsidiary companies at the onset of administration.

Driving Results, and Driving Results holdings Ltd are the business concerns that were sold and not those that have bought them. They were set up under advisement of the Adminstrators upon being appointed. This is how they protect any further incomes and control the expenditure.

As much as you'd love there to be something underhand going on, and as much as you'd love that 1,000's of Red instructor training clients be left high and dry with no recourse, just so you can gob off about how awful it all is, I think you'll find that the new management will be honouring the previous contractual commitments.

Can you do me a favour, can you email me your source/evidence of the £millions of dividends paid to the previous directors of LVG you claim have been paid, because they don't seem to appear in their audited accounts. however, dividends from the RED businesses may have paid millions to LVG, the directors did not receive those dividends directly.

I'm sure it's true that LVG has been unable to pay some of their creditors recently. But neither could most companies that made commitments based on continued funding promises that were then withdrawn.

I'm led to believe that their funding shortfall is not entirely due to the budget sheets expenses exceeding income on the day to day running of the RED businesses, but due to an investment commitment made LVG based on support that was promised and in place, but has since been withdrawn.

It is not the 2 RED subsidiaries that are making the loss, as their accounts have shown profits consistantly and the Adminstrator has made it clear that they are still profitable, thus contradicting your claim that they were and are running a caterpillar scheme. (Robbing Peter to pay Paul as you put it).

But it IS the 2 Red subsidiaries that are making the loss.  In addition the administrator confirmed the 2.2m loss in the last 16 weeks. 

IF the business was profitable, the loss of a promised investment should have made no difference to their operating profit and loss figures ? I do not believe any such investment was the reason for their 4 month demise.  Indeed its doubtful this investment ever existed.

As Macca posts its very clear that the withdrawal of Barclays' buy now pay later funding was the straw that broke the camel's back.  A downturn in numbers was probably apparent anyway and this further blow almost killed the numbers signing up.

The future could be an interesting one as unless the new owners have a similar scheme planned they are going to find it very difficult to get joe public to part with £4k up front.
The similarities between the private equity firm that purchased BSM for an over-inflated price and this private equity firm are an eye opener too. Given that the BSM lot subsequently disposed of BSM at a huge loss a few months later begs the question "what is the medium to long term future for red ?'

B+E Trainer
go! driving
www.go-driving-tuition.co.uk

#11 24-02-10 16:34:38

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Does their advert wording of earn up to 30,000 a year hold water if say less than 10% actually achieve that figure ?

How many instructors could sue for mis-selling of courses ?

#12 24-02-10 18:31:10

Macca
Verified Member

If you want to fully understand why so many people complain about Red watch the following BBC programme called Xray shown this week on BBC TV in Wales. Part of the show is about an ex-RAF training manager called Bruce who despite being a perfect candidate (he was the training manager while in the RAF and had a passion for cars) made the mistake of choosing Red to train as an instructor. Unfortunately for the local Red franchise manager the conversation was being taped when he explained why none of the promises made to him during the sales presentation would be delivered "They only tell you what you want you to hear they are like car salesman ...". Click on the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r3z23

By watching you will appreciate why they can sell 10,000 courses a year to become Red driving instructors using this type of sales approach. I feel sorry for the local franchise manager who was reported as saying in regards to why the Red sales team mislead people "We do tell them but they don't listen". Clearly this suggests Red had a cluture of mis-selling and management were complicite. Let’s hope the new Red owners get the old management to listen now and don't sack this poor guy who must have been absolutely fed up with the company to make such comments. In this BBC programme it was claimed that the following promises had been broken:

1. Local training in Bangor. It ended up being in Ellesmere Port a round trip of 140 miles.
2. Within 16 weeks he could expect to be earning on the Red franchise well before he needed to start paying the Barclays loan back in 12 months. The training itself took 8 months and therefore the claim was untrue. It was 16 months before he was able to get onto a trainee license. Luckily he could pay the loan otherwise as the programme claimed he could have ended up with a debt of over £7,000 to Barclays Personal Finance with an APR of 29.9%.
3. Franchise fee of £175 per week for car plus insurance plus guarantee of work was quoted. It ended up being £275 as a trainee with no guarantees see next point.
4. Guarantee of unlimited work and none payment of franchise if insufficient work provided. Again this was not the case he had to pay the fee irrespective of what work was provided and thus the earnings expected was not guaranteed as he was led to believe.

The person appears to have a good case for claiming misrepresentation and a full refund of the fees he paid to Red LVG limited. However, the company has gone bust and the new company are unlikely to accept responsibility for the old company.

#13 25-02-10 23:05:49

Quimby
Verified Member

Let's hope the lad doing the Turn in the Road hadn't given any money to Bruce - I couldn't see his pink badge displayed anywhere!

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't understood the gravity of the situation

#14 24-03-10 18:12:12

Macca
Verified Member

It looks like the Mail on Sunday don't believe the Red spin that a major investor withdrew which caused Red to go bust:

Mail on Sunday Article 21st March 2010

As stated with this type of business model you just need a dip in driving instructor course sales for the business to go bust just as Lets Drive, Roadcraft UK and Passmasters did before them. Any so-called driving school where over 90% of its sales income comes from instructor training courses (e.g. such as Red driving school based on it last published accounts) needs to keep growing (particularly if it wasn't setting aside enough money to deliver the training already purchased) otherwise it will simply run out of money eventually. Alternatively it has to make sure the vast majority of people never bother to claim their training or other incentives offered.

For those who would like to find out more from an insolvency point view what potentially happened with Red/LVG please look at the link below:

http://www.lindermyers.co.uk/article.asp?id=846

Someone posted on the Anti-Red driving school Facebook group that kelso purchased the Red driving school and all its assets for £605,000. Below is a full copy of the comment made:
----------------------------------------------------------
"Robin Mckenzie Smith Some information that might help. I trained with TIC, paid for extra Part 3 training, claimed the costs (rejected) sued in the small claims court and won. 10 days after the court case (4 before I sent the bailiffs in) they went into administration. For your information I was awarded the costs not due to contract breach (TIC contract mentioned very few terms - read yours carefully) but for misrepresentation that extra training would be provided free of charge during the sales process (I relied on information in the TIC brochure given to me at the time). Of course it is highly unlikely that I will get any money as a creditor, so I am chasing BPF as they have joint liability. I can imagine BPF (Barclays Personal Finance who offered the online point of sale buy now pay later loan at 29.9% apr) are going to get really upset at having to pick up the tab.

Info on the administration. LVG Ltd are still in administration and will be shut down (despite news articles refering to it being "rescued" all assetts and goodwill have been sold to Driving Results Limited for the princely sum of £605,000 - pretty cheap for a company posting a profit of £3M to October 09. I am sure there will be just enough money to pay the secured creditors and the administrators.

The source of the administration was from an initial introduction from Kelso Place Asset Management. The owners of Driving Results Limited are Kelso Place and the directors are two of the partners from Kelso Place. According to their last published accounts (2008) the directors of LVG Ltd took slightly over £3.8M out of the company in the previous 2 years. How much did they get in 2009 before going belly up. No-one is saying. According to the administrators "as yet we are not in a position to give any information regarding the financial position" (but Kelso knew enough to buy the assets and MCR knew enough to sell them at what one can only assume is a "defensible" price).

Anyone think we are being shafted?"
--------------------------------------------
Quite a bargain for a company doing £40 million turnover (96% from Red) with £3 miliion profits up to october 2009 with all it liabilities paid off provided it is true of course. The benefits of the advertising alone would probably exceed this. Once the Receivers complete the statement of affairs we will be able to see exactly what was paid and how deep in the mire the company really was and what finally contributed to the lack of cash. We will then be able to see if what was reported was true or just spin.

We already know that Red made up 96% of the LVG business so to suggest it was LVG the parent company (i.e. the other 4%) and not Red that wasn't making a profit was just spin to try to blame the 4% for the demise of the company. We now also know Red/LVG made 80 people redundant on the day the deal was done who were then added to the long list of creditors the company owed money to so the claim no one would be made redundant in it press release was also cynical to say the least. The number of centres have gone from 22 down to 19. With even fewer trainers it look likes the trainees will need to wait longer for training sessions and have to potentially travel further. It appears the press were well and truely misled about what had happened.

Unfortunately, the creditors of the old Red driving school (LVG limited) now stand to potentially lose millions (over £6 millon according to another member of the Anti-Red facebook group who is also a creditor) while it is business as usual for the new Red driving school (Driving Results limited).

#15 24-03-10 20:04:59

Aspyre

Why would "anyone" be intersted in the past and just digging the dirt? wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 13-04-10 21:22:36

mspl

Why would "anyone" be intersted in the past and just digging the dirt? wink

i'm interested in it Aspyre,some good info,we all know your views on your support for the REd fiasco setup.

#17 13-04-10 21:28:14

Aspyre

So only your views are relevant then?  roll

Macca is just digging dirt and my comments are aimed at him.

#18 13-04-10 21:31:06

mspl

So only your views are relevant then?  roll

Macca is just digging dirt and my comments are aimed at him.

Here we go again,tick tock,tick tock.

#19 13-04-10 21:35:55

Aspyre

Seeing as my last post was a month ago, you stirring it up again is what kicked it off. Haven't you got anything better to do?

If you are "interested" in the subject then you are goingto get my views - which are a little bit more balanced than Macca's. Or do you just want to hear the bad stuff as well?

#20 14-04-10 16:02:06

mspl

Seeing as my last post was a month ago, you stirring it up again is what kicked it off. Haven't you got anything better to do?

If you are "interested" in the subject then you are goingto get my views - which are a little bit more balanced than Macca's. Or do you just want to hear the bad stuff as well?

Yawn,yawn,yawn.

#21 14-04-10 18:11:54

Roadmaster
Verified Member

.......Or do you just want to hear the bad stuff as well?

Yes please. 

You might be surprised to hear that not everyone thinks your views are more balanced. And no doubt we'll get to hear your 'balanced' reply on this comment too.    roll

#22 15-04-10 02:08:43

Aspyre

You might have missed the words "as well".

No, it wouldn't "surprise me" what people convince themselves of - but thanks for the usual superior advice RM wink

#23 31-05-10 09:10:58

bigred
Verified Member
Website

#24 01-06-10 10:49:02

Macca
Verified Member

Unlike the ITV Trevor MaDonald Newsnight Progamme "How to blow your redundancy" and the previous BBC Xray programme featuring Red driving school this programme doesn't focus so much on the miss-selling of driving instructor training courses but on the Company’s inability to deliver good quality training in a timely manner.

#25 01-06-10 11:07:32

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Macca.
Fair assesment of it. smile

Board footer