You are not logged in.

#1 14-02-10 22:25:36

kevindavanna@tiscali.co.u
Website

Hiya!!!!

Well where do I start?

Just qualified (at Last!), Finally on the 4th attempt at pt3 I got the required result so i'm gonna go out and make my first million as an ADI! Well not quite-I have ever only intended to work as a (very) part time driving instructor (around 6 hours per week). You're probably wondering why spend around £3.5k training to only work 6 hours per week, I must admit I've wondered that myself many a time! But my motivation is simply to improve the general standard of driving on our roads.
No i'm not already a financially independant business man or mega jackpot lottery winner or a pretentious Prius driver but I work full time driving emergency response vehicles and whilst doing so I witness some of the most terrible (lack of) planning and awareness skills. At times I also have to deal with the aftermath of some of the worst driving! So if I can do my wee bit to improve the overall standard I'll be happy!

All comments welcomed

Kev

14-02-10 22:25:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hiya!!!!

#2 14-02-10 23:45:04

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Welcome to the forum Kev,

As you drive emergency response vehicles, perhaps you could give us all some information based upon your experiences of driving them, as I often hear contradictory advice... What do you want the other vehicles to do when they see you approach?  Whats the best/worst thing other drivers can do?

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#3 15-02-10 08:21:38

Website

Hi Phil,

That really is the million dollar question and the cop out answer is "drive to the conditions" Every situation is different but the best all round answer is to continue driving at normal road speed until you can safely move to the left side of the road and pull in so that you are no longer a hazard. Giving an early signal lets the driver know you have seen them approaching which believe me is a massive bonus!
Remember that pulling over on a narrow road with oncoming traffic will impede the progress of the following emergency vehicle and also pulling up near to traffic islands and other street funiture will also hold up progress. If in a queue of stationary/slow moving traffic it may be best to stay where you are. If faced with oncoming emergency vehicles pretty much the same applies, remember that left signal!

In short observation and planning skills are key to dealing with emergency vehicles.

I hope you've found that of some use

Kev

#4 15-02-10 09:47:09

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Kev, thats basically what I teach anyways.  Obviously the difficulty we have in teaching how to deal with emergency vehicles is that it's usually done in theory.

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#5 15-02-10 13:45:46

Website

Hi Phil,

I don't know where you're located but perhaps if when you carry out meet/cross or Judgement/position you venture into town or city centres the opportunity may arise particularly if you train in an area with an A&E dept or fire station nearby.

Obviously you're not going to chase the blue lights and probably wont get the chance to demonstrate how to deal with emergency vehicles but you never know when opportunity knocks! Certainly in Edinburgh every time I get a blue light call there seems to be some very inexperienced drivers on the road so one more wont make much difference!

Kev

#6 15-02-10 14:22:51

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Well done Kev on passing part 3 smile

If I ever see a learner car driving past a queue of traffic, at speed, weaving in and out of traffic islands, and jumping red lights, I soon realize is you, and you've got your mode of transport mixed up big_smile

Once again well done.

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#7 16-02-10 08:18:43

Website

Hi Matt,

Its funny you should say that because when I went for my Pt3, in the white BMW (which some would say looks like an umarked police car in the main mirror) , the examiner decided he was going to drive very fast and erratically. I got PST 10 with phase 2 to deal with a full licence holder who had a problem with judgement of speed and normal driving position, so off came the "L"'s and away we went, at break-neck speed!!!! until of course I very quickly gained control.

After the test and debrief the examiner thanked me for such an enteraining phase 2 and told me he really enjoyed it!! He had intended doing the phase as a partly trained pupil who drove too slow and too far left but when he saw the beemer he just had to have some fun with it  :evil:(and me) and completely turned the test around to a qualified driver driving too fast and wide from left (a position often adopted by advanced drivers to increase visibility)
I'm glad the examiner enjoyed his day at work, I'm just glad that whole process is over!

Kev  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 16-02-10 08:32:37

la.monikita
Verified Member

Well Done! and for the determinations to do it too. I think most us on here realise the safety aspects of driving that you mention and we need good driver trainers who can open the eyes, minds and generally enlighten people we teach of the consequences of their actions on the road. So if you not here to earn the elusive 30k then the job is just for you wink

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#9 16-02-10 09:11:19

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Kev,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on passing your part 3.

You must love the stress, doing the job your doing and then training to be an ADI as well wink

Giz

#10 16-02-10 19:23:11

Website

Thanks Giz,

Forgot to mention I'm also a full member of the IAM for car's and lorry's and also considering becoming an observer!

Kev

#11 16-02-10 20:47:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Kev,
If you decide to be an Observer, I can tell you it will be fun all the way, 10 years for me and still enjoying it. big_smile

Giz

Board footer