You are not logged in.

#26 07-02-10 23:33:16

Aspyre

Re: Will my IN10 conviction stop me becoming an instructor?

You served the time though........... at the time in question would it be right to say that your reasoning for breaking the law would have fitted in with getting on the register and becoming an instructor..... or not.

The OP has current form.

The criterion for getting on the register is 5 points max and an appeal if refused.

All personal details (and judgements) lie with the DSA and the OP and not us on a forum trying to get one over on each other by believing or otherwise some ones claims of innocence while admitting guilt tongue

9 live points is 9 live points......... the limit is 5 live points....... the register is overflowing with unsuitable people.........

07-02-10 23:33:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 07-02-10 23:35:22

DH

I would agree that all those points should probably be a bar to registration. If I put myself into the position of a parent watching their 17 year old pride and joy going off on their first driving lesson I would probably be expecting someone a cut above the average driver to be the ADI concerned.

If I knew the instructors history would I be happy?

Having said that I wouldn't rule someone out permanently because they've done stupid things in the past unless it was something like a sexual, violent or financial offence. Driving without insurance is a serious matter and shouldn't be tolerated but while the conviction is unspent I think it's one that a decision needs to be made on rather than a blanket refusal.

If I was making the decision? I'd be tending towards a no unless the circumstances were extremely unusual and the applicant was otherwise clean.

#28 07-02-10 23:40:15

Aspyre

Mind you..... I'll never forget that bobby's face when he jumped out with his hand up then jumped back again to avoid us running into him.

It worked though.

#29 07-02-10 23:50:32

DH

Back when colin166 was embarking on his criminal career I was also embarking on mine. As soon as the good weather began (I think it was April) I wound the sunroof back on my 2.8i Capri, turned up the stereo and put my toe down.

I got nabbed for doing 54 in a 30 which was quite slow for a 2.8i but when the copper put his hand up at least I stopped.  big_smile big_smile

They never caught me again!

#30 07-02-10 23:51:58

Aspyre

Same here...... we never rode our bikes on that path again without checking for bobbys first tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#31 08-02-10 06:53:32

ExAdiNigel

....See that episode of Police, Camera, Action or whichever, guy got caught drving without insurance because his girlfriend cancelled it without telling him as revenge, they took the car and made him walk home but took no action.

Any action should have been against the insurance company for cancelling the policy on the word of someone who wasn't the policy holder!

I had an ex-pupil who got caught driving without insurance as his girlfriend was too drunk to drive, a 3 mile journey from a country club where a wedding reception was held to their hotel and he gets done for it. Not all are clear cut and deliberate.

I hope he was prosecuted for it!  That was very clear cut and deliberate!  Taxi or shanks's pony would have been the obvious choice there.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#32 09-02-10 10:32:23

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Speaking of Police, Camera, Action, should Alastair Stewart be hosting it...am I right in thinking he was caught and banned for drink driving?

When I applied to go on the register I had 6 points on my licence for 2 x SP30's, got on the register, but was told they would have to reconsider if I got any more. Did not have a problem with that.

We all make mistakes, we all do silly things and can see both sides of the debate, all IMO good points being put forward.

I think we can all change a negative in to a positive here, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if she applies and gets accepted, at least she can pass on here experience to pupils. If she wanted too.

I had a pupil who was amazed that I it took me 2 attempts to pass my driving test, she thought all Adi's would have passed 1st attempt. It put her at ease, as she realized I was only human, and we all make mistakes.

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#33 02-03-10 03:10:25

yaris 1.6

Hello

Answer to OP

currently have 9 points on my licence, I have an SP30 which can be removed from my licence in September this year which is 3 points but I have an IN10 (driving without insurance - very silly mistake ) which is 6 points and won't be removed for 3 1/2 years! I've read that any convictions which carry more than 5 points in one hit are generally a no go and result in not being put on the register

usually the DSA will not approve applications with more than 6 points at any time (sometimes 5) and if you have no insurance (3  years) its a no go

You need to speak to the DSA directly about this BEFORE applying as it will save you time and money

Hope that is helpful to you

yaris

#34 14-05-10 22:27:00

standon11
Verified Member

i don't see why the op would be bad for the driving profession aspyre.

i was allowed onto the register with a dr10 on my license.i made a bad mistake back in 1997 got banned from driving for 18 months,200hrs community service & the dr10 stayed on my license for 11yrs.

i have been an instructor for 3yrs now,not a point on my license since i got it back in 1999,that's 11yrs clean driving & that in my opinion makes me fit & proper.the op may seriously regret past mistakes & maybe if given an opportunity may help others avoid mistakes he made,i know i tell all my pupils about myself & how the license should be cherished & not thrown away like i did.

what makes a fit & proper person anyway?is it the instructors i see everyday who probably have never had a point on there license but think it's ok to drive while on the phone or is it the pletherer of instructors i still see every day smoking there boots off inbetween lessons.it could be the moronic instructor who tailgated me last week before overtaking me & cutting back in so close he almost clipped my front offside.

i could go on all day really but cant be bothered but i will say this after 3yrs in the job i honestly don't see a lot of instructors doing much better on the road than joe public.but as long as you don't have any points your fit and proper eh.

#35 14-05-10 23:02:16

Aspyre

Best not to get into this again as someone always ends up being offended.

The fact of the matter is that somewhere, someone has to draw up lines of acceptability. There will always be someone right on the borderline who wants to be accepted, and if they are then over time the original lines get more and more blurred.

It's like when OAPs are queuing for the bus and their bus passes only become valid at 9.30am (or whenever it is). Some drivers on the 9.20 or 9.25 will let them on, but the pensioners start getting earlier and earlier. Eventually someone has to say NO, and then the OAPs all get angry.

9 points is more than is acceptable to be accepted on the register with the lines that are currently drawn. The fact that others have managed to bend it a little doesn't mean the lines should be moved back. No one knows if the OP is suitable or not - they have nowhere near enough info to say that and only the OP and the DSA can work that one out.

However, if 5 or 6 points is the maximum the DSA say you can have, it is pretty clear that 9 is too many.

Board footer