You are not logged in.

#1 28-01-10 22:22:06

destiny hope

New Driver

Hi. I have been looking at the franchisee this company offers to PDI's and it looks good on paper and they "talk the talk" but seemed reluctant for me to speak to any instructors working for them. I was wondering if any one on here had any experience with them or can shed any light on them. Thanks foe your help  Des

:0) passed part 2 22.06.09

28-01-10 22:22:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New Driver

#2 28-01-10 23:17:08

DH

New Driver might be fantastic, I don't know. These questions are not necessarily about New Driver. You can ask them about any franchise provider.

Ask them how long the franchise contract is for. If the notice period is anything more than a month then why lock yourself in? walk away.

Ask them how they can 'guarantee' pupil supply. I don't know of ANY major driving school that can 'guarantee' this and don't see how they can force the public to call them. Are the 'free' lessons they advertise paid out of the instructors end or is the load shared.

Ask them what the extra charges are if you want to use their car. The basic franchise fee they show seems too low to include that.

What charges will you pay for the pupils you get from them? That isn't made plain on the website.

Regard anything that is stated as part of their advertising as suspect and distrust it. None of this would necessarily form part of the contract you might sign with them and you cannot always rely on advertising claims as a way to get out of a contract you aren't happy with.

If they won't let you talk to their instructors walk away.

If you decide to go with them, ask for a copy of their franchise agreement to run by a solicitor. If they won't let you have one. walk away.

#3 28-01-10 23:28:05

colin166
Verified Member

I spent a lot of time considering  them because they came across really nice and ticked all the boxes but:
The minimum contract is 12 months and they can only guarantee 30 pupils a year so I did not see them as worth committing to paying £77.00 per week and still have to find pupils yourself so I decided to go indy in the end and after 3 months I have started to get a steady flow of new pupils.
They do seem to offer quite a lot though in the way of CPD, check test training etc.

#4 28-01-10 23:38:20

DH

£77.00p multiplied by 52 weeks equals £4004.00p

How much advertising could you buy for £4000.00p?

Enough to get you 30 pupils?

#5 29-01-10 00:04:19

destiny hope

thanks for the replies. I am not looking for a large number of pupils at present as i am still working elsewhere. It is the extra training they appear to offer  and the support they say they give to pdi's. They currently have no instructors in my area but said they are turning done alot of work.

#6 29-01-10 00:13:56

Aspyre

Advertisning with £4000??????

If you are lucky......... an advert in Yellow Pages will cost upwards of £800 for something the size of a business card if it is going to stand any chance of working...... a local newspaper ad of a size likely to generate acceptable work will be hundreds.. Both stand a very good chance of not generating any work whatsoever.

If your going to criticise New Driver for "guaranteeing" ppls don't suggest some one is guaranteed work by going solo...... it definitly doesn't work like that.

It depends heavily on the OPs location how successful advertising and ppl supply is likely to be so no one can just say "yes its best this way" without knowing what that is and taking it into account..... and even then nothing can be guaranteed. It also depends on the OPs financial situation whether they can risk a very slow build up that could likely to result from going solo

If a new starter has £4000 to spend on advertising then they have to get the ball rolling first before any of that spend is likely to have a significant result.. You don't just place an ad then get a full diary.. But New Driver is likely to already have the ball rolling and has ppls available.

A new starter is likely to benefit from that which is why they should never rule out the franchise route when making their career decision.

Don't rule anything out destiny hope and weigh up all the pros and cons of both options before taking your gamble..... and it will be a gamble whichever way you turn.

#7 29-01-10 00:20:57

colin166
Verified Member

wow!

#8 29-01-10 00:30:37

colin166
Verified Member

Do people still look in yellow pages and newspapers to find driving lessons?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 29-01-10 00:37:18

DH

Franchising isn't my gripe. I've franchised myself and it worked well for me. As a new instructor it's probably the way to go for most people.

My point is that they apparently want £4000.00p for 30 pupils, that's £133.00p per pupil with no guarantee of any more. Those pupils may take one lesson or they may take one hundred. Nothing is guaranteed apart from the franchisor getting £4000.00p. New Driver might be fantastic. Possibly they could be struggling at some point in the future and once those 30 pupils are supplied there could still be a lengthy portion of the contract to go.

So then it's £77 a week with no way out until the contract is up.

And yet they use the word 'guaranteed' in their advert without saying that 30 is the magic number. Misleading?

don't suggest some one is guaranteed work by going solo......

Where did I suggest that?

I said that there were questions to ask and if the answers weren't satisfactory then walk away.

And when they say that they are turning work away, have no instructors in the area and give great support to ADI's?

I believe many other companies have been saying similar things about most areas. Is that a reason to sign a contract guaranteed to cost £4000.00p?

What companies say doesn't matter. Being locked into a contract for 12 months does, especially if it isn't working out.

#10 29-01-10 00:51:47

Adi1234

I was a franchisee for new driver for about 6 months. I found them very good in most areas. Pupil supply was reasonable. There was support available if needed. The reason I left there franchise was lack of support from the company when I had car problems. I used my own car and had a problem the day before a student`s test and was trying to hire a car or Loan one from a colleague at new driver. I contacted new driver and Unfortunately this was a situation that could not be rectified by the company and I had to foot the bill myself. But saying that the franchise is cheap and they will get you pupils. In my area alot of people start with new driver on trainee licence and leave once they pass part three which is A little unfair on new driver. Having said that a few Have stayed with them for over 5 years. They must be doing something right to keep adi`s for 5 years after qualifying.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 29-01-10 01:15:48

Aspyre

The point is that to reach people costs money and even if you reach them they don't have to listen to you.

DH I didn't say you said anything...... but if on the one hand New Driver is saying it can guarantee ppls and people don't like that you still have to allow for the fact that from a cold start (i.e. a new ADI) they cannot be ruled out.. £4000 is a lot of money to spend on your own advertising but its also a lot of money to lose if that advertising doesn't get a good return...... and theres a very high risk it won't.

As for being on a contract...... if you know what it involves before you sign it might not be a problem to some people.. There's nothing wrong with contracts...... except when people want to break them.

Perhaps ADI1234 can explain since he left aftr 6 months so either wasn't on contract or had to pay to get out of it (or just walked away).

#12 29-01-10 01:21:36

DH

£77.00p multiplied by 52 weeks equals £4004.00p

How much advertising could you buy for £4000.00p?

Enough to get you 30 pupils?

Sorry Aspyre, I should have made myself plainer.

It looks as if I'm saying £4,000.00p is enough to get 30 pupils when I'm actually saying that it's a decision the prospective ND customer would have to take for themselves.

That's why I put the ? on the end.

#13 29-01-10 01:30:59

DH

I franchised with BSM (during training) and the AA. I signed their contracts because I was reasonably happy that I would be kept busy and because there was a one month notice period if I was unhappy with proceedings.

Couldn't lose.

In this game a twelve month contract would worry me with ANY company.

#14 29-01-10 01:51:22

Adi1234

colin166 wrote:

The point is that to reach people costs money and even if you reach them they don't have to listen to you.

DH I didn't say you said anything...... but if on the one hand New Driver is saying it can guarantee ppls and people don't like that you still have to allow for the fact that from a cold start (i.e. a new ADI) they cannot be ruled out.. £4000 is a lot of money to spend on your own advertising but its also a lot of money to lose if that advertising doesn't get a good return...... and theres a very high risk it won't.

As for being on a contract...... if you know what it involves before you sign it might not be a problem to some people.. There's nothing wrong with contracts...... except when people want to break them.

Perhaps ADI1234 can explain since he left aftr 6 months so either wasn't on contract or had to pay to get out of it (or just walked away).

When i worked for them In 2006 there was a 1 month cancellation notice period for new driver as a franchisee. I gave the due notice by letter of franchise cancellation.

#15 29-01-10 06:06:59

ExAdiNigel

I started out with New Driver and found then good.  At the time though, there was no minimum contract period but neither was there any included cpd/training.  The only problem I experienced was that, although I had a healthy provision of pupils when I started it tailed off when the next instructors started.  I understand from others that this is handled better now.

I wouldn't like the 12 months clause though, presumably it is there so that enough is brought in to pay for the training that is offered as part of the franchise.

I would never go back to New Driver because they price themselves near the bottom end of the lesson price scale.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#16 29-01-10 18:52:23

catweazle
Verified Member

new driver will give you good support whilst on pink then leave you with no support for the 12 months after your pink

#17 29-01-10 19:42:21

destiny hope

Have you worked with them? i spoke to the managing director today and it all sounds good. ive also spoken to another PDI with them and he had no concerns over the support they offer. I need to find a reliable company quickly due to what has happened recently

#18 29-01-10 20:59:12

catweazle
Verified Member

yes i have pm sent

#19 29-01-10 21:00:12

destiny hope

#20 30-01-10 06:39:17

ExAdiNigel

Contact Sue or Colin Martin through the forum or http://thebrightredl.com/?subarticle=franchise through their web site.  They run The Bright Red L.  If they will take on a PDI in your area they would be worth talking so that you can make a comparison between them and New Driver.  They both talk sense (usually wink) when posting on here.

Have sent you a pm.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#21 30-01-10 09:55:13

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I remember one poster here having a pretty bad experience with New Driver some time ago in terms of pupil supply and trying to leave.

I did a search and here are his posts relating to what happened, which outline his experiences along with those of others who had positive experiences - you could perhaps consider contacting some of the posters who have experience of ND and discussing your concerns with them:

Leaving a franchise

help!

New Driver

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#22 31-01-10 18:38:24

george
Verified Member
Website

Who is your sponsor on your pink?

Seems to me that people training with the "big boys" are gently encouraged towards firms like Red or New Driver and those with a local ADI trainers are given a more balanced view of the franchise way.

Why don't you give Any Driver a call www.anydriver.co.uk and ask if they can put you in touch with an ADI local to you who can help you.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

Board footer