You are not logged in.

#1 27-01-10 15:31:50

Dave G

My First Question from a real pupil

Hi Everyone

Not sure if you are all aware but I am about to start my part 3 training. One of the girls where I work has asked me to be her instructor when I qualify. I went round to her house today to get her started on her theory test training. I showed her the many training aids available, went through the test and standards with her, gave her a complimentary Highway code book, answered any questions or concerns she had and had a brew with her and Mum. I explained to Mum the process her daughter was about to go through. All very nice.

When I was explaining mock theory tests etc I told her it was not enough to just be able to answer a question she needed to understand why it was that answer. She replied that she knew exactly what I meant as she had been in Blackpool at the weekend and someone had said something about a toucan crossing. She then said she didnt believe them and thought they were joking as she had only heard of pelicans and puffins. I told her there was in fact a toucan crossing and a good way to remember its use is that "two can" use it ie pedestrians and cyclists. Mum and Daughter are now very impressed with Dave. And then it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............"Dave, why are the crossings named after birds?" I relpied that I didnt know but would find out for her.............................................Over to you peeps!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
C&Guilds 7307 Teaching in Adult & Further Education
DipNEBSM

27-01-10 15:31:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My First Question from a real pupil

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-01-10 15:52:38

Aspyre

I think this might be one which doesn't have a definitive answer Dave........ but lets see what you've started tongue

The Proper name for a Pelican is (or used to be) Pelicon - from Pedestrian Light Controlled.. The Zebra is apparently named after the Zebra finch - but there was a failed type of crossing called a Panda which is not a bird anyway you look at it (anyone heard of Panda finches?), so who knows if that is true or not that crossings were named after an obscure bird instead of a pretty obvious wild horse?? You know what Puffin stands for, but the Pegasus isn't actualy named after a bird but a winged horse from mythology.

So maybe the question is wrong - they aren't all named after birds.

Mind you, have a look at this link which suggest why they were named after animals (and then doesn't explain anything of the sort) tongue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A568587

#3 27-01-10 16:15:11

Dave G

Hi Apyre

Yep I explained that they were not all called after birds and Im happy with what Pelican and Puffin mean. But why Biirds???? Back to you peeps!!!!!

Aspyre..........as you suggest...........lets see what Ive started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#4 27-01-10 16:23:31

michelle1970
Verified Member

I tell my pupils that they are named after animals so children can remember them, dont know whats true but it sounds good enough to me smile

#5 27-01-10 16:45:06

Dave G

Sounds good Michelle, thats No 1 answer on my list.

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 27-01-10 17:06:51

Aspyre

But why Biirds????

Well, why not?? tongue

Seriously though..... the Pelican comes from Pe Li Con, so theres the starting point....... not sure if the Puffin was called a Pedestrian User Friendly crossing (P U F) before someone thought of Puffin or if it was contrived after someone thought of the Puffin bird and linked it with Pelican on purpose.

I'm not convinced the Zebra was named after a finch (never seen an official explanation)..... or if some one thought of that later to keep the flying animal/bird link.. A crossing has nothing to do with a bird on a technical level and naming the first ever type after a Zebra finch instead of something everyone knows (a Zebra) due to being black and white striped seems very odd.

#7 27-01-10 17:50:19

michelle1970
Verified Member

Your welcome Dave, it was another top tip from my top trainer!

#8 27-01-10 18:05:06

Dave G

Aspyre

I see what you mean about the why not. I also agree there may not be a definitive answer. The Puffin stands for Pedestrian User Friendly Interface.

Ive decided to combine both of your responses tommorow with my new prospective pupil.

Im not sure if I want to ask this but it may help others .....here goes...........have any of you had one of the those questions from a pupil that has totally stopped you in your tracks and what was the answer?

Regards
Dave

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#9 27-01-10 18:10:21

Aspyre

Check that Puffin one Dave..... its Pedestrian User Friendly Intelligent (could catch you out some time if a pupil knows the answer already).

#10 27-01-10 21:42:40

c-way
Verified Member
Website

eek this brings me back to my early days of b$m training where the first homework assignment was pedestrian crossings and what they all stood for!  I based the zebra on the black and white stripes of a zebra (the 4 legged one!)  Pelican  - yes PEdestrian LIght Controlled, but being the first light controlled it's a bit thick and can't work out if someone's crossed or not and flashed the amber to give the decision over to the driver, Puffin = as aspyre, Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent - knows when Usain Bolt has gone or your OAP  and can release traffic when safe on normal steady amber then green, Toucan of couse TWO CAN use it, cyclist and pedestrians and the  Pegasus - buttons high enough for horses hooves to press the button to cross  wink

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#11 27-01-10 23:23:35

bald eagle

Hi all
   Hasnt the Pegasus crossing been renamed Equastrian crossing. Therefore more relevant to horses, and has already said there is a high and a normal height push button for walkers or horse riders to push without dismounting.

#12 27-01-10 23:36:26

DH

Is there anyone else who finds the lack of standardisation between crossings a problem?

I've seen it too many times when someone drives straight through a zebra crossing because there isn't a set of traffic lights to tell them when to stop. Pedestrians are prone to thank motorists for stopping at zebras these days because they know only too well that many drivers don't.

Isn't there a case for a programme of standardisation?

I can make sense of the need for special use crossings such as Toucan and Equestrian crossings and Pelican and Puffin crossings are fairly straightforward to negotiate but we are headed towards a time when people won't stop unless there is an actual signal to tell them to.

Frightening.

Dave G, Good Luck with your Part 3 stuff.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 28-01-10 06:10:44

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I tell my pupils that they are named after animals so children can remember them, don't know whats true but it sounds good enough to me smile

That's my answer too, I'm sure there's truth in it.

Our crossings are named after cute furry animals as part of the road safety education process concerning littlies, and also for biggies with little brains of which we seem to have a lot on our roads down here.
In the NT we have Pelican (Pedestrian activated light controlled or somesuch) crossings, children crossings which are called just that, and ordinary crossings which are only occasionally referred to as 'zebra'.
Other states have Kola crossings, Wombat crossings, but no Puffins or Toucans which I don't think reside in Australia.

I have yet to see a Goanna crossing, Death Adder Crossing, Tasmanian Devil crossing, Great White Shark crossing or Australian Politician Crossing, so obnoxious, dangerous or ugly animals are obviously not part of the paradigm.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#14 28-01-10 06:26:39

ExAdiNigel

Personally I think too much fuss is made over the crossings.  Who really cares what the names stand for and whether a Zebra crossing was named after a bird or, probably, the more likely Zebra?

Provided you stop when you need to and go when it is safe, does it really matter what the wretched thing is called? :evil:

I tell my pupils that they are named after animals so children can remember them, dont know whats true but it sounds good enough to me smile

Michelle, be very careful giving an answer if you don't know (as you've suggested here).  There is nothing wrong with admitting to a pupil you don't know.  If you are asked something you don't know the answer to, set it as homework for the pupil to find out and then look it up yourself for discussion on teh next lesson.

Nigel wink

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#15 28-01-10 14:42:09

michelle1970
Verified Member

I'm only going on what my trainer told me, plus it makes the pupil think of children crossing the roads which leads to saftey which is what pedestrian crossings are all about regardless of their names, just one purpose to get people across the road saftely.

#16 28-01-10 16:21:10

Dave G

Yep Aspyre I will have the Intelligent bit. On your link it does say Interface though. But yes it is Intelligent.

Thanks DH, I will let you know how it goes.

My prospective pupil was happy with  crossings are named after animals so that children can remember them.

Dave

She was also happy with "There doesnt seem to be a definitive answer but I have been told"

Part 1- 100%/57%
Part2- 1 Minor
Part3-5-4
Check Test -Grade6
DipNEBSM

#17 28-01-10 20:28:42

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Provided you stop when you need to and go when it is safe, does it really matter what the wretched thing is called? :evil:

Perhaps it doesn't matter from a motorist's perspective, but what about the pedestrian, especially young children?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#18 28-01-10 20:51:20

Aspyre

With today's kids I bet most of them don't know what a Pelican is.. Or a Puffin come to that.

I agree with Nigel that the names dont' really matter especially these days......... I think adults worry about what children think more than chidlren actually think tongue

Where I used to work they used to name projects after things..... animals, continents, islands...... its just something people do and doesn't have to have a specific purpose..... its often just fun.. Some one did it with a Zebra 60 odd years ago and a trend was born.. It doesn't always have to come back to kids tongue

#19 29-01-10 05:57:17

ExAdiNigel

adiNigel wrote:

Perhaps it doesn't matter from a motorist's perspective, but what about the pedestrian, especially young children?

What about the pedestrian?  Wait when the red man shows, go when the green man shows but if the idiot in the approaching car doesn't stop - wait until he has gone.  It doesn't matter a jot whether the crossing is a Pelicon, Puffin, Toucan or Pegasus.  big_smile

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 30-01-10 07:53:03

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

What about the pedestrian?  Wait when the red man shows, go when the green man shows but if the idiot in the approaching car doesn't stop - wait until he has gone.  It doesn't matter a jot whether the crossing is a Pelicon, Puffin, Toucan or Pegasus.  big_smile [/quote]

I don't disagree with you, in fact I would like to see more standardisation across the range of crossings so there is less confusion from motorists and pedestrians alike.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer