You are not logged in.

#1 22-01-10 08:51:23

judy_83

Steering technique issues

Hi Guys,

I am a PDI training on a pink at the moment.  Could anyone give me some advice on a steering issues I have with a student at the moment.  Have explained and demonstrated the pull push technique but student just can't seem to get to grips with it.  Her hands leave the wheel when steering which results in slower steering and 'going wide'. 

Need to find a way to help this pupil but can't seem to correct it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

22-01-10 08:51:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Steering technique issues

#2 22-01-10 10:11:24

michelle1970
Verified Member

So she needs to feed it through, instead of releasing her hands.

Take her to an empty car park and get her doing a circle, this will take the pressure off her if there isnt anymore road users, once she gets to grips with that get her to do a figure 8, so far this technique has worked with my pupils everytime.

Hope it helps.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-01-10 10:15:31

Aspyre

If you want to persevere with pull-push for the time being, have you taken her to an empty car park and driven in a figure of 8 to develop the technique?? It can be difficult to practice on a road when all the other things are going on if a ppl is having a problem.

Also where is she looking when she steers?? Some times they are only thinking of steering and not making the connection with where the car is going or should be going.

Have you got her trying it at the side of the road with a diary or book........ using pull-push to turn the book one way then the other..... maybe even a toy/dummy steering wheel??

How does she steer if you let her do it her own way?? Pull-push isn't mandatory as long as she steers safely and in control.

There are an infinite number of ways you could attack this....... you just have to keep looking for them tongue

[Typed/posted same time as above]

#4 22-01-10 13:03:42

benji

I do a TIR i do controls all they do is steer and obs most seem to get after a few it works for me.

#5 22-01-10 19:47:24

michelle1970
Verified Member

Another little thing that I do when teaching steering in a figure eight is I do the foot controls so they can concentrate on the steering and where they are looking, once they have got the hang then I get them to use the foot controls, found this helps as well.

I have a diesel car so it will happily go along at 10-15 mph without any gas.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 22-01-10 21:32:42

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...when teaching steering in a figure eight ... I do the foot controls so they can concentrate on the steering and where they are looking, once they have got the hang then I get them to use the foot controls...

This works well for me too.

I have "spare" steering wheels - old steering wheel covers mounted on the plastic frame they came with.
When necessary I hold it up alongside them and demonstrate the steering technique while they try to follow me.
This means the student will have to take their eyes off the road to look at your hands, so be careful where you do it e.g. in a quiet car park with no other activity close by.

Occasionally I'll have the front wheels sitting on loose gravel and practice a bit of dry steering, this can help with some students who seem to be more nervous when the car is moving.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 23-01-10 07:11:11

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

empty car park at low speed, try a one handed technique e.g turning to the right, right hand pulls down (left hand placed on knee), left hand takes over to push (right hand placed on knee) etc. This is an effective way of getting them to understand the concept of what they are doing.
To develop the exercise add in trailing hand and as suggested by others drive around the perimeter or figure of 8. A turn in the road is also a good way to consolidate this exercise alongside use of the foot controls.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-01-10 08:48:30

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

What I've noticed with the pull-push method is that novice drivers find it easy to pull down but harder to push up.

...try a one handed technique e.g turning to the right, right hand pulls down (left hand placed on knee), left hand takes over to push (right hand placed on knee) etc. This is an effective way of getting them to understand the concept of what they are doing.

Yet another bit of good advice, I have tried this too and it helps a lot.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#9 23-01-10 09:00:35

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

What I've noticed with the pull-push method is that novice drivers find it easy to pull down but harder to push up.

That is because it is a more natural movement  smile

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#10 26-01-10 19:06:43

ExAdiNigel

If pupil is going wide it can be down to 2 things - either steering isn't quick enough or speed of car is too fast.

Don't overly worry about pull-push - the important thing is maintaining control.  Pull-push is still the better practise though.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 27-01-10 08:18:21

judy_83

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to offer advice.  Have the student today so will try what has been suggested.  It makes sense, not sure why I didn't come up that one myself but I do appreciate that the adi's are willing to share their experience with the trainees.

Thanks again

#12 02-02-10 18:02:56

TDW

I tell them to get a plastic plate or a frisby and practice feeding it from one hand to the other, seems to work but I also like some of the other ideas too, the cinema carpark is ideal for the figure 8.

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#13 02-02-10 21:59:52

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I tell them to get a plastic plate or a frisby and practice feeding it from one hand to the other, seems to work but I also like some of the other ideas too, the cinema carpark is ideal for the figure 8.

I do this too and also use steering tight round round poles or obstacles (the latter especially if I think the student needs practice controlling speed with clutch while steering).

I carry a spare steering wheel in each car - old steering wheel covers mounted on the plastic frame they were sold with - and often manipulate this alongside the student while they are practicing their steering (going slow in an empty car park of course), I've even used my clipboard in an emergency.
This also helps them to understand how to actually practice it at home with plates or whatever.

Plastic plate or frisbee - now why didn't I think of that. My usual spiel is to tell them to use a dinner plate while at the table - probably not in the best interest of table manners though (and not to mention the reaction from the rest of the family).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#14 09-08-10 14:22:16

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

Firstly, allow them to develop their own way of steering, only intervene if steering doesn't improve after 30mins or so.

I find steering problems are mostly related to pupil not looking at where they want to steer, rather, they are looking at where they are steering.

The saying "look at what you want to hit" says it all really.

Other problems are with the hands themselves, if I have this problem, I talk pupil through steering while stationary, this needs to be done very very very slowly. Always start with hand high for direction of steering(left hand starts left turn, right hand starts right turn). If all else fails physically move their hands for them, they always get it then.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#15 13-05-12 14:18:50

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

If you want to stop steering faults stop teaching steering.

This sounds mad but honestly just let them get on with it and just get them to look out the big window in the front to where they are going. Hinted at by Jakey.

They will just steer, although on the very odd occasion you will get problems but very odd ones.

They learn to steer long before they sit in your car. If there is the odd crossing of hands just leave it as mostly they will correct themselves

Honestly

Soon people will be telling me they teach their students to put the seat belt on!!!!! mad

Last edited by marconi1 (13-05-12 14:19:22)

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

Board footer