You are not logged in.

#1 25-05-05 08:43:10

Drewer
Verified Member

Slipping Clutch???

Hi all how do you tell when the clutch is just starting to slip? I have
a W reg (200 ) Fiesta for my Part3 training and i think the clutch is
just starting to slip. I notice a lack of pickup when i am doing 20mph and
i step on the gas it seems to take a few seconds before the extra power gets to the wheels. Hope this explanation makes sence to someone.
Thanks Drewer.

25-05-05 08:43:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Slipping Clutch???

#2 25-05-05 09:03:17

maybeoneday

Hi Drewer

Never had a Fiesta!!!

However, if the biting point is near the top of the pedal travel, it is a fair indication that the clutch is worn, it is possible that it just needs adjusting, but I doubt it.

#3 25-05-05 09:16:33

Mmm

find a hill, put it in high gear and foot right down on gas, if engine revs break away and rise quickly while the car goes no faster the clutch is slipping. Alternatively on a flat road, high gear, handbrake on, gas to the metal, revs will rise car speed constant if clutch is slipping. if clutch ok car will grunt and generally not go much faster but engine revs will not rise. From how youve described it, it doesnt sound like a slipping clutch to me, but maybe a dragging clutch- do you mean the clutch is slow to release? In my 98 micra if i was doing 20mph in 4th I WOULD expect a delay before the power comes! The revs need to come up a bit, esp on multi-valve over-square engines that are designed to run effectively at higher RPM. If you were in 2nd at 20mph Id expect instant acceleration tho. Has this problem only just appeared or have you only just got the car?
Good luck!

#4 25-05-05 09:17:14

Mmm

when i say find a hill, i mean UPHILL of course!

#5 26-05-05 10:08:57

KevP

As Mmm says a good old and trusted method is to apply handbrake, select high gear, apply gas and listen and feel. increase in revs with no or very little movement...........slipping clutch, grunting and feeling of trying to tow a house then clutch OK. Don't do it too often though, or the clutch will be Knacked..........

#6 26-05-05 10:12:25

KevP

Handbrake needs to be in good order though....................

#7 29-05-05 17:52:51

Anonymous

HI all it is the clutch. Thanks for all the info, Anyone know roughly
how much this should cost?? Kwickfit dont do them.
Drewer

#8 29-05-05 17:54:19

Drewer
Verified Member

HI all it is the clutch. Thanks for all the info, Anyone know roughly
how much this should cost?? Kwickfit dont do them.
Drewer

forgot to log on :?

#9 30-05-05 17:34:22

Mmm

ouch. expensive i'd've thought. Id bank on around £300 at a main dealer? I dunno about that particular model though, a lot depends on how easy access is, which of course varies a lot between cars. Probably an engine out job though, at a guess. And thats just if its worn out, on some cars (esp older ones - BMC a-series engines being a prime example) the reason for failure is cos oil is leaking onto the clutch from further inside the engine - in which case the clutch AND the relevant oil seals will need replacing.

<smug> having said that, ive changed clutches in 2 of my cars for the grand total of £45 in the past couple of months...oh the joys of old cars where parts are cheap and owners clubs have people giving away free stuff....</smug>

But hey its all tax deductible once yer qualified isnt it?

And i personally wouldnt touch kwik-bodge with a 10-ft barge pole for all but the simplest of jobs!

#10 30-05-05 18:22:28

Drewer
Verified Member

Its going to cost £80 all in  lol  lol
brother in law has a courier firm and the garage he uses
is going to sort it out. Had a quick look on car parts sites
and could buy the clutch for £80 then had to pay postage
and then get it fitted   roll There's life in the old girl yet.
Drewer

Board footer