You are not logged in.

#1 14-12-09 16:35:25

redkev
Verified Member

is 40 hours enough ?

Just started my part 3 training and have read as much as i can so far.
The company i am training with is giving me 40 hours of training-is this enough?
My training is spread over 5 days-8 hours each day.
Would like to hear what anyone thinks about this.                                                                                     

Part 1 passed 29/07/09
Part 2 passed 22/10/09
Part 3 ?

What is reasonable?

14-12-09 16:35:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: is 40 hours enough ?

#2 14-12-09 18:35:17

on board training

Hi,

My thoughts:

Too much crammed into too short a period of time and 40hrs may not be enough. I have had someone pass first time with 35 hrs training and that was over a few weeks (he went through the entire process to qualification in 16 weeks but this is not the norm) but most take that bit more and even those who go on a trainee badge end up with 60 to 80hrs formal training.

Brian

#3 14-12-09 19:15:29

mcculde
Verified Member

Kev there is no hard and fast rule. Are you getting 40hours in the car on a 1-2-1 basis. If so then possible. If you are getting 40hours of instruction in the car with 2 to 1 Then again it is possible. If you are getting 40 hours which mainly involves sitting in a classroom then your chances are minimal. From my experience 60 hours plus of in car training as a minimum offers the best chance of passing part 3. Spreading this over say 4 to 6 weeks offers time for reflection and practice. Your training company may of course not be able to accommodate this

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 14-12-09 20:06:57

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

40 hours of good quality training is enough.
You need to look closer at how your training is going to be structured, my immediate concern with your course is the time scale. 

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#5 14-12-09 20:10:14

redkev
Verified Member

Thank you for your replies.
My 40 hours consists of tues /wed/ thurs of this week and wed /thurs of next week.
My part 3 test is booked for 8th feb next year.The training is on a 2-1 basis.
I am hoping that the month or so that i have between my last lesson and my test will be enough
to practice.

Part 1 passed 29/07/09
Part 2 passed 22/10/09
Part 3 ?

What is reasonable?

#6 14-12-09 20:12:38

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Worrying that you have a Part 3 date before you know if you are going to be fully prepared.
Each one of those three lives are precious, don't waste any of them is my advice.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#7 14-12-09 20:24:58

redkev
Verified Member

I was told to book my part 3 test for feb by my training company.
If i dont think i am ready for my test then i think the best course of action is to put back the test.
The trouble is that test dates for part 3 in my area are like gold dust
Shortage of examiners i have been told.

Part 1 passed 29/07/09
Part 2 passed 22/10/09
Part 3 ?

What is reasonable?

#8 14-12-09 21:58:12

jay666
Website

Oh dear, booking your part 3 test before even starting the training sounds a bit strange to me.

Jay

#9 15-12-09 19:22:07

RobC
Verified Member
Website

I think 8 hours a day training for three days a week is far too intensive for almost anyone.

Also 40 hours of training doesnt necessarily mean 40 hours 'in role' as an instructor. Its a similar situation to some driving instructors who's learners are parked up receiving extended briefings most of the lesson with the learners having perhaps 20 minutes actual driving the car out of an hours lesson.

If you are a well above average PDI and have a good ADI trainer, 40 hours of ADI training may be enough, but I would tend to agree with mcclude that nearer to 60 hours will give you the best chance of passing Pt 3 first time.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#10 15-12-09 21:44:50

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I started training for my part 3 after I pased my part 2 back in April. Just did 2 hours every sat. Had a break in August, then went 2 hours each sat and Sunday and a week before my test did an intensive which really consolidated everything. I must have done between 60-70 hrs for part 3 but wanted to be ready before I took my test. I trainined on a pay as you go basis.

Result is I passed my part 3 on the first go with out going on a trainee licence.

Are you planning to go on a pink licence?

Personally I think 60hrs is more realistic and would recomend spreading it over a littlle more time.

Good luck anyhow.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#11 19-12-09 16:03:57

redkev
Verified Member

Thank you all for your advice.
I have now cancelled my test in feb'
I know now that i need a lot more time and practice,and as there is no rush and i have a full time job
it is better to be fully prepaired for the test.

Part 1 passed 29/07/09
Part 2 passed 22/10/09
Part 3 ?

What is reasonable?

#12 28-12-09 16:50:57

Herbie
Verified Member
Website

I did 20hrs with my trainer before my first attempt and bought an extra 5hrs before my 2nd attempt (which I passed).

However, I spent every avaliable hour I had practicing, reading about, watching videos of, thinking about part 3. The lessons I had with my trainer were spent perfecting what I knew, rather than teaching me from scratch.

#13 28-12-09 17:17:16

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

25 hours! All credit to you for passing with just 25 hours of training but as you said it sounds like your home study really helped,

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#14 28-12-09 17:38:06

Aspyre

So it would appear that 40 hours could be easily enough??

Some people do it in 25........ some do it in 60 or more??

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 28-12-09 18:09:24

on board training

I think the important bit here is - the amount of private practice and study time you put in. I tihnk many people do not put in the amount of private practice and study time the Pt3 merits and expect to pass with their training time and a little preparation. You get back what you put in.

Brian

#16 28-12-09 18:20:05

Herbie
Verified Member
Website

IMHO you'll find it very hard to pass part 3 unless you do a lot of 'homework'. It's not something that you can just turn up to 'class' and learn and be good at.

You need to live, breathe, eat and sleep it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 28-12-09 18:23:02

Herbie
Verified Member
Website

25 hours! All credit to you for passing with just 25 hours of training but as you said it sounds like your home study really helped,

It certainly did. I wouldn't have got very far through the sylabus without it in 25hrs.

#18 28-12-09 18:26:19

Aspyre

Exactly herbie..... I think its pretty obvious that you have to work hard at it.. 20, 40, 60, 200 hours???????? It is all meaningless if you don't put effort in.

But the fact remains that 40 hours CAN be enough..... just as 20 hours is obviously enough for some and 60+ hours is taken by others..... if you try hard.

#19 28-12-09 18:53:20

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Kev, if you are on a 2 - 1 basis, why not ask the other PDI to "buddy" up with you for private practice, or put a post up on here for a Buddy in your area!

Disky on here put a post up when I was training, turned out that 3 of us would meet up every now and again for a whole day, and the cost of this - FOC 8-) the benefit - priceless.

plus you may meet someone you can bounce ideas off for the rest of time wink

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#20 30-12-09 14:15:28

RobC
Verified Member
Website

There is no substitute for being fully prepared for Pt3. We shouldn't forget that Pt3 training is to teach us to instruct learners to drive, not just to pass our Pt3 test.

Pt3 consists of 10 two phase PST's so 20 hours practical training equates to only around ONE hours practical training per phase of each PST. To offer an extreme example, in theory it would be possible to pass Pt3 by learning a single PST, (though the odds of you getting that PST on your Pt3 test is 10-1) however assuming you passed Pt3 with minimal training and training on only one PST, would you be effective at instructing learners on the remaining 9 PST subjects?

#21 30-12-09 15:23:46

Aspyre

Rob the point I am making (as I am sure you realise) is that 40 hours IS enough for a lot of people as it is an average.. We have proof....... someone did it in 23 hours!!!!!...... and we know a lot of others take 60 or more, but that doesn't mean every one should have 60 wink

We all know that just casually taking the training and doing nothing else is a recipe for failure....... whoever (and however) you train with.

What worries me is Redkev has to make the most of what he has paid for..... and more than a few people seemed more eager to point out the inadequacy of his trainer (compared to them) when that info is simply not known.. A lot of schools do these intensive sessions and it works for them.. Some people disagree with it and no doubt what they do works for them...... I'm also sure a lot of people did it in 40 hours or nearabouts and are now saying 40 isnt enough.

Redkev seems to have delayed his Part 3 anyway...................... smile

#22 30-12-09 21:11:08

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Aspyre

I fully agree with you regarding 40 hours Pt3 training being enough for many PDIs, the point I was making is that a PDI could theoretically pass Pt3 with even less than 20 hours training if they were proficient on the PST they received on their Pt3 test. Indeed as far as the Pt3 test is concerned it wouldn't matter if they had not have received any training at all on the remaining 9 PST's.

My own feeling is that Redkevs trainer seems inflexible to Redkevs needs and I know for certain that 40 hours of eight hour training sessions over two weeks would have been be far too intensive for myself. I am however only speaking for myself and I dont know anyone who has taken such an intensive course, though I would be very interested knowing the pass rates of such courses.

Rob

#23 30-12-09 21:24:48

Aspyre

I cant remember the name but there was a residential school in Blackpool which did a week long course.

Actually I looked it up while I was typing.........

http://www.adi-training.com/residential … ourses.php

So, two weeks not one week..... but you get the idea.. They do 50 hours.

This one in Grimsby does it as well......

http://www.intensive-driving-uk.co.uk/r … -guide.php

And this one.......

http://www.4-instructor-training.co.uk/page4.html

And this one.......

http://www.driver-training-centre.co.uk … esidential

Just search for residential ADI course on Google and see what you get.. All I know is they can't ALL be cr4p just because they don't do it the classical way.

#24 30-12-09 21:34:45

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Aspyre

Thanks for the links. Im not suggesting all intensive courses are cr4p, but I wonder how may pass Pt3 with five 8 hour sessions over two consecutive weeks. I notice that the first link has a number of testimonials though none of the testimonials state that they passed Pt3 by attending the intensive course.

Rob

#25 30-12-09 21:42:22

Adi1234

I Think It does depend on the individual and the way the course is structured. For example I trained with bsm and all was fine with part 1 and 2. It is hard to say how many hours I had purely focused on part 3 because the course was Highly interlinked. But In terms of in car training Think It was about 22 hours before I went out On trainee Licence. Then I failed part 3 exam with 3/3 result.I received about 3 hours extra training before my next attempt Which I then failed with a 3/3. I then had 20 hours with a different private trainer and got through part 3 with a 4/4. That was my experience but there were other people who completed the same course with me and they passed there part 3 3rd attempt with better results than me some received a grade 5. I would have struggled To learn everything In one week. But some others would relish it and achieve the grade. I think it`s all about structuring the course to the needs of the client and teaching the future Adi In the way thats they will learn best. Similar to when we teach Lerner's really.

Board footer