You are not logged in.

#1 24-05-05 22:02:38

pk1

Just Failed Pt3

Just Failed Part 3 PST4 Reverse Left Phase 1 and Emerging phase 2 - briefing was fine and co ordination of controls fine on phase 1 but nerves got better of me and even though I briefed checking blind spots on points of turn I completely forgot to talk them through and check whether they were being done (never do that when practiseing) phase 2 went well for a while corrected lots of faults with Fault Analasis and remedial but missed coasting - and didn't cover msm well enough ?(thought i had) Got 3/3 - but couldn't belive my mistakes on phase 1 could have kicked myself and forgot my training on phase2 as nerve's crept in - not total disaster as I got 6/6 for Q&A 6/6/ for communication and 6/6 for attitude and approach (doesn't help but its a small plus) Thinking of going on Pink to help with nerve's and experience any advice?

24-05-05 22:02:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Just Failed Pt3

#2 25-05-05 07:34:19

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to hear you failed. I failed twice so don't panic!!

On my 3rd attempt I used a lesson plan which listed all the key points to cover. I'm sure in training you know them but on the big day its amazing how much you forget to mention.

On the initial briefing I worked through my list to ensure that nothing was missed. I then re-enforced this with a full talk through on part 1 & loads of prompts on part 2.

I used a pink & thought it was invaluable for experience & practising the pst's.

Thats all my 22 hours of ADI experience!!

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

#3 06-06-05 20:06:02

pk1

Thanks trent - will be back for more soon - Ive got a smart driving Visual Teaching briefing book now but the problem really was nerve's first time round - confident for my next test (not booked yet as ive been on holiday) - all the best lol

#4 06-06-05 22:07:48

luchell

i find the colourfile professional an absolute godsend for teaching. but also it includes on the page opposite all the seriously main points that must be covered on part three. great thing is i never need to read them as the pictures for the pups guarantee you cant forget anything due to the pictures even filled with the matching road signs that prompt you. it might help. i dont know how id have felt confident for part three without the pink. good luck

also once youve taught 20 odd left reverses it is damn near impossible to forget it on the day lol  my tutor proved that if you dont know what youre talking bout 1000 percent you will forget it under pressure. we had to do pretend interviews on psts under pressure by our group who had to ask relevant questions. you'll be surprised how many got tongue tied by even mspsl!!

#5 07-06-05 08:53:47

mags
Verified Member

Sorry to hear that you have failed, i know that nerves can be a disaster, i suffer very badly with them, but im sure you will do it next time.
Luchell where do you get the colourfile professional from,
regards Mags smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 07-06-05 19:46:34

luchell

got it from www.grade-six-supplies.com   have asked all pups for feedback they find it easy to understand and i find it so easy to teach from. you never get lost for words. i get it out for all briefings. have a gander and let me know what you think. its 50 quid but claim it back on tax and its so so worth the money.

#7 09-06-05 21:00:45

eagleman

Reading PK `s initial thread could have been reading a description of my own 1st attempt at pt 3. I did T i t R & Turning let & right. I did not feel nervous but made so many obvious and stupid mistakes that I never made in practice e.g. give instr` keep feet still on release h/ brake or forgot to mention and explain`full-lock`. phase 2 completely missed `Coasting` .....doh although asked for it ! as I only asked 1 question in recap ...  still scraped a 3 / 3.
   Don t deny deserved to fail but examiner behaves nothing like a real pupil, behaves more like he is playing a game. Next time intend to approach it with tactics of playing a game in mind.

#8 10-06-05 20:07:35

pk1

Just a small note for anyone about to take 1st attempt at part 3 - all the horror stories you hear are rubbish if id stuck to what id been taught and not let nerve's get the better I would have passed 1st time - and even though I failed I enjoyed the test and feel confident for next time  :shock:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 10-06-05 21:26:21

Rauxaman

all the horror stories you hear are rubbish if id stuck to what id been taught and not let nerve's get the better

You know... that is how I feel about it, I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks  :?

Re: Colourfile... it is okay but I do like the old fashioned sketch book as a communication aid, you create the picture and ask questions as you do it (a bit like Rolf Harris) rather than just present it to the learner.

#10 10-06-05 21:37:58

luchell

yep thats superb if you can draw anything that resembles a car which unfortunately i cant. so i prefer the way i do things cos i could never get my point across like that :oops: . its whatever works for you that will do it and im happy lol

im not bothered by part three at all, like youve said above if you know your stuff you'll be fine. im really looking forward to it just as i do each lesson lol

#11 10-06-05 21:52:20

Rauxaman

You don't need to "draw" a car, just use a rectangle with and arrow showing the direction and so on.

I've been teaching a Phillipino lady and after a couple of lessons (she had never driven before) I was wondering why she wasn't progressing as I thought she could... then I started drawing out what I wanted painting the picture in stages and asking simple questions and... hey presto... she came on leaps and bounds, it overcame the language barrier.

A picture does paint a thousand words.

#12 10-06-05 21:57:51

luchell

the colourfile is full of pictures. like i said we'll have to agree to disagree here. what works for one person doesnt work as well for another. i like the way i do things, if i had to adapt for whatever reason i would. this just works well for me. it assists me by the pictures ive got to make sure i include everything for each pst etc. we're all different. big_smile

#13 10-06-05 22:04:42

Rauxaman

Hey Luchell-

We're not disagreeing at all really.
It's all about teaching aids and using pictures at the end of the day.

The sketch routine worked better than the colourfile for for my lady learner and that is what really matters, we just need to get the message across the best way possible.

Do you use any other visual aids?

#14 11-06-05 16:04:39

luchell

yep ive got a white board and pens lol  for when the rolf comes out in me lol  like i say im sure there will be a time when people look at the colourfile perplexed and ill have to do it my way. i have a mag board several toy cars and magnetic ones. oh and usually the road we're on is the best visual aid i can find at times! you? lol

#15 11-06-05 16:04:52

luchell

yep ive got a white board and pens lol  for when the rolf comes out in me lol  like i say im sure there will be a time when people look at the colourfile perplexed and ill have to do it my way. i have a mag board several toy cars and magnetic ones. oh and usually the road we're on is the best visual aid i can find at times! you? lol

#16 11-06-05 19:26:55

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

For what its worth...

On my part 3 I used colourfile pro pictures along with a seperate lesson plan. I don't think the colourfile lesson plan is thorough enough for part 3.

My drawing is crap & colourfile pics are plenty good enough...

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

#17 11-06-05 19:39:30

luchell

i dont use the lesson plans on them. never have done. i just go through them from the picture. i always found on my part three training i work better from a good picture. if ive got writing near me i get stuck trying to read it and freeze up. even main bold points! ive had to read everything i can get my hands on to know what i must include and evaluate after each lesson if my content was what it needs to be. lol

#18 12-06-05 16:13:13

Rauxaman

I am worried that the pt 3 time constraints will exclude the sketch routine and might just give the examiner an extra chance to "play up".

I have got the Colourfile and just use the illustrated pages. For the test I am putting together Bullet Point plans... laminated cards, one side (say) PST-02-1 and the other side PST-02-2... don't want masses of paper notes distracting me from the examiner's antics.

Also, I have photographed the reference points from the drivers seat for the turn in the road and reverse manoeuvres so that I can ask the question "Can you see this picture?" etc and laminated them into cards... seems to work well.

Better get back to my next PST... doing 08-2 next  smile

#19 12-06-05 17:59:21

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Rauxaman,

I think you have a similar idea to what I used. The colourfile pics with a lesson plan/prompt card. The ones I bought were A4 with part 1 & 2 on each side.

I agree that you can't read them parrot fashion but I used them just to ensure that all the key points were covered.

My SEI drove that badly on phase 2 that I even got the pics out to sort him out!! When they tell you that he/she are a couple of weeks from test  they are lying!! They will drive like a part trained pupil no where near test standard.

Board footer