You are not logged in.

#1 07-12-09 22:31:00

Nick6

3 and a half or 4 years!

Can i start training to become a driving instructor after holding a license for 3 and a half years? Thanks

07-12-09 22:31:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 3 and a half or 4 years!

#2 07-12-09 22:59:53

on board training

Hi,

You can start training to become a driving instructor once you have held your driving licence a lot less than 3 and a half years!

So if you have held it 3 and a half years then yes.

Brian

#3 07-12-09 23:05:00

Nick6

Thanks for the reply! I didnt word it too well i dont think ha! Can i apply to become a driving instructor after only 3 and a half years or is it 4? Im just shy of 3 and a half years! the sooner i can get started the better! smile

#4 07-12-09 23:20:42

driver69

I think you can start training but you must have held your license for 4 years before you qualify. At least that is what I remember from researching to become and ADI.

#5 07-12-09 23:24:14

Nick6

Thanks for your reply too! I didnt even kno these boards existed! Just flicking about has helped me on some stuff already!  If somebody to clear this one up for me that would be amazing thanks!

#6 07-12-09 23:43:22

colin166
Verified Member

You must be over 21 and held a full license for 3 years.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 07-12-09 23:56:37

on board training

You must be over 21 and held a full license for 3 years.

Hi,

Not to start training, you can start training long before this.

You don't need to have held your licence 4 years before you qualify, it is held your licence 4 years before you apply to be on the ADI Register after qualification. Remember you have 12 months after you pass Pt3 before you need to apply for your ADI Badge and you also have 2 yrs from the time you pass Pt1 to Pass Pt3 and you could be training for a few weeks or months before you pass Pt1.

So as long as you understand the possible timings involved in the whole process you could hypothetically start training before you had even held your licence a year!!

#8 08-12-09 08:31:34

Nick6

That makes things alot more clearer now! Thank you very much! I have been waiting untill i can book my part one untill the new year when i will be three and a half years but its looking like i should have already have started! Ha! Thats what i get for being slow! smile

#9 07-06-10 12:34:11

peakdrivertraining
Website

hi actually its 3 years not four, but you can start training whenever you want i started before i turned 21 you can take all 3 tests as well but cannot apply to be on register until you are 21 and have held licence 3 years

#10 07-06-10 18:06:51

keith williams
Verified Member

On board is actually correct with four years

You can supervise learners after three years but it has to be four to be on the regjster and charge money

#11 07-06-10 18:17:26

peakdrivertraining
Website

i am sorry for smugness here but bear this in mind i passed my test febuary 27th 2006 i was accepted onto the register and received my badge 07/12/2009 i am no mathematician but that is not four years!
i know only just under 3 months off four years but still before i began training i specifically rang the dsa and confirmed that i could start training after only 3 and a bit years and aged 20 they said yes as long as i have held my full licence 3 years, crb etc but could not begin teaching until my 21st birthday.

www.peakdrivertraining.co.uk

#12 09-06-10 19:06:01

keith williams
Verified Member

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … =RESOURCES

You can train and pass the qualifying exams but...

"You will be accepted onto the Register of Approved Driving Instructors (the Register) if you hold a full UK or European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) unrestricted car driving licence, have held it for a total of at least four out of the past six years prior to entering the Register after qualifying, and you have not have been disqualified from driving at any time in the four years prior to being entered in the Register."

Whoever you spoke to in the DSA gave you wrong info, don't now how you managed to get on the register before the four years but according to the DSAs own website you shouldn't have. Though, were you on the register or had you just passed the part 3? What is the starting date on your green badge?

#13 09-06-10 19:38:28

peakdrivertraining
Website

the start date on my badge is 7th December!! 2010 so either the dsa screwed up or they are taking the date of my first full licence which was a category f licence dated june 05 so i would have had that 4 years although it is not an  unrestricted car licence. so either way either the dsa are flexible on the requirements and is at the discretion of the registar or they are not very good with dates

#14 10-06-10 07:56:21

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sam.
The law is very clear. Regulations 125(3), Section 5, of the Road traffic Act states that the application to be added to the register requires that the applicant has held a driving licence for 4 of the previous 6 years.

Unless your licence was issued by the Secretary using the special powers afforded to him (doubtful unless you have a letter of authority from him), your application was fraudulantly made as you declared you had fulfilled the requirements on the application.

Do carefully check the licences (driving and ADI) for the relevent dates.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 10-06-10 08:05:59

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi sam

the start date on my badge is 7th December!! 2010 so either the dsa screwed up or they are taking the date of my first full licence which was a category f licence dated june 05 so i would have had that 4 years although it is not an  unrestricted car licence. so either way either the dsa are flexible on the requirements and is at the discretion of the registar or they are not very good with dates

Sadly, it is no good saying it's the DSA's fault. Admin errors occur, and guess what, the law knows that and so the emphasis is on the applicant, not just for ADI registration but for all types of applications, including driving licences.

If you were added to the register as a result of falsifying the details on the application form, you have commited an offence.
The DSA, as agents of the Registrar, have only made an error.

What you do about it, is entirely your choice. You could notify the Registrar, who could respond with, thank you for notifying me, your licence remains in force.

Or you could plead ignorance if and when the error comes to light, perhaps as an investigation into you, or simply from an audit check. I doubt a defence of ignorance would be accepted though.

But, ultimately, the bottom line is , you did not fulfil the legal requirements to be added to the register at the time you were added as a result of a false declaration on the application form.

#16 10-06-10 14:07:15

peakdrivertraining
Website

i am sorry but pardon you how dare you, i made no single false declaration and i would thankyou to remove that from the forum.

as i have stated earlier i personally rang the dsa and gave them the dates of my first full car licence and my date of birth and my points on my licence before i applied to be on the register and they said that non of it would be a problem but i had to wait until the day of my 21st birthday before i could begin teaching (which wasnt a problem as my test wasnt until the day after so when i recieved my badge on the 7th of december i was 21 however.

taking this into account how can it be possible to state this is in anyway my mistake or me falsifying documents, i took all steps to ensure i was eligible for application to the register, and as everybody else i had to apply to the register.

so maybe at the time i was not elegible but bearing in mind everyone i spoke to; the dsa themselves who guess what i think they would know best wouldnt they? and the fact that i was accepted did not give me any indication that i wasnt eligible, and i am now within the law

#17 10-06-10 15:08:32

KevB
Verified Member
Website

You can pardon me all you like. smile

The staff at DSA don't sign a declaration, the applicant does.

And to be honest, the invitation to apply to be added to the register form couldn't state it any clearer. (Nor the relevent question in the ADI question bank, nor any of the recommended reference books and material, including the official websites).

Now, with that said, let's go back to what I previously posted. If you actually read what was in it, you will see that I was offering some guidance to you, and not critising you.

Just like receiving penalty points on your licence, it is best practice to notify the Registrar, as early as possible that you have offended. He'll be notified anyway, but that doesn't lessen your responsibity to notify him too.  (Afterall, human error occurs and so the responsibility falls on you to notify him).

The bottom line is, the declaration you signed was not accurate at the time you signed it. It doesnt matter what a clertk at DSA told you.

Just as businessman is responsible for the declaration when submitting his accounts, even if he has employed an accountant to do them for him, he is still the person that declares the accounts to be true and accurate.

Ignorance is not usually an accepted defence in the legal world, Especially in connection of declaration signing.

I'm sure others on the forum will have an understanding in these matters, and hopefully will help clarify it for you.

regards, Kev.

#18 10-06-10 18:51:30

jonnmedds
Verified Member

This might be me being a bit thick or perhaps you misstyped but you say the start date on your badge is 7th Dec 2010. A date that hasn't arrived yet.

Jon

#19 10-06-10 19:00:40

peakdrivertraining
Website

ok i did read that on the application pack i received that is why i rang to enquire when i would be able to apply, as i have said i dont believe it is fraud that is why i was put out by your comment as i took every reasonable step to ensure that i did not apply untill i was legally able to, and as i was told it wouldnt be a problem at that time i then applied its not like i deliberately mislead anyone i was completely upfront as i wanted to make sure i did not apply until i was legally able.

also could you clear something up for me i am right in saying you have to apply to be on the register when teaching on a pink badge?

(and yes sorry mistype i meant 2009 as mentioned earlier in the topic)

#20 10-06-10 19:23:37

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Trainee licence holders are not eligible to be added to the ADI register.

#21 10-06-10 19:39:22

peakdrivertraining
Website

i appologise it was my mistake the letter i received from the dsa was referring to the pink licence not green, they had said on the letter i would be able to apply to instruct on the day i turned 21, no mention of different licences, after talking to kevin thankyou for the advice

#22 10-06-10 20:51:39

KevB
Verified Member
Website

You are very welcome. smile

#23 10-06-10 21:16:35

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Just to help clarify for anyone else that may be a little confused since Onboard Trainings post answering the OP....

It is possible to make an Initial Application before age 21. A PRN will be issued and you may take all 3 tests.

However, to be added to the DSA Register of Driving Instructors (and gain a green licence) you must be aged 21 or over, and have had a licence for 4 of the previous 6 years. (Other qualifications also exist, but I wont dwell on those for the purpose of this discussion).

Peak Driver Training passed his driving test in Febuary 06. He made enquires to the DSA prior to taking part 2 regarding being able to gain a licence before the 4th anniversary of passing his driving test as he wanted clarification of what his training college had told him. The DSA staff member said, and confirmed via email, that he could obtain a licence to instruct.
However, it seems they were discussing a trainee licence. He obtained his trainee licence in December 09, and subsequently passed his part 3 and applied, and was accepted onto, the register in March '10.

So in essence, he was over 21, and had held his driving licence for 4 years (Feb 06 to march '10) and fulfilled the requirements to be added to the register.

It hadn't been explained that the issuing of a trainee licence is not the same as being added onto the register of driving instructors.
It is possible to obtain a trainee licence before the 4th anniversary of passing the driving test. However, To be added to the register, the 4 out of the last 6 years stipulation applies.

#24 02-07-10 15:27:40

nigel
Verified Member

I can confirm that as my son passed part3 prior to holding his licence for 4 years and had to wait 2 weeks before applying for a green badge to satisfy the conditions although he was able to teach on a pink for 6 months before

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

Board footer