You are not logged in.

#1 22-11-09 21:17:44

angel22

Have to explain to registrar why my application shouldnt be refused

Hi everyone,

I recently put my pdi application in and have just heard back from dsa saying it has been referred to the registrar because of my 6 points for speeding.  I have been invited to write to the registrar to say why my application should not be refused.
Has anyone had to do this before?
The speeding offences were only minor...36mph in a 40 zone when i honestly thought it was 40 (it was a 3 lane ringroad), and 35mph i think in a 30 zone because i was trying to get round a lorry pulling of from traffic lights in 2 lanes and it merges into one quite soon so i was just nipping past.  Do you think these are acceptable reasons?
They were over a year ago and unluckily happened around the same time....I am usually a very careful driver and dont speed.

22-11-09 21:17:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Have to explain to registrar why my application shouldnt be refused

#2 23-11-09 09:14:27

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

I would say that you shouldn't justify why you 'had' to speed. That may be frowned upon. You shouldn't be speeding up to manoeuvre around a hazard because it will just add to the hazard. Also, trying to justify that you were not speeding because you didn't know what the speed limit was wouldn't really stand up in court...... Your Honour!! You have 6 points because you were caught making driving offences. Simples!!
I would suggest accepting the fact that you have 6 justified points on your license and that you have learned from the experiences and it has made you a safer and more conscientious driver.
You really must get over trying to justify why you were speeding and accept that you were caught and hold your hands up.
If you are accepted and start studying for your part 1, then you will realise what the DSA expects in terms of a drivers attitude to driving. Safety First. It's not justifiable to break the law.
Good luck with the DSA.

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 23-11-09 09:18:45

KevB
Verified Member
Website

well put Treg.

#4 23-11-09 13:14:57

on board training

Hi,

If you want to, email me to discuss your individual circumstances, I will be happy to talk things over with you and to guide you in the correct direction.

Basically as you know the points are valid for totting up for 3 years, so exactly when you got them on your D/L and when they are due off will be relevant, especially when you realise it may take you 1 to 2 years to qualify as an ADI and you have up to 12 months after you qualify to request to be placed on the ADI register and the points shouldn't be an issue as they will be off or due to be taken off.

So put simply, you are aware of your previous errors and have changed your driving and and also appreciate why they happened and subsequently why they shouldn't have happened and you will be doing your utmost to drive in the safest and law abiding way.

Also show that you understand the timings involved in the qualification process and in many other aspects you are a fit and proper person and you don't feel the points you have should be taken into account to start training to be a driving instructor and placed on the PDI Register when the legislation is clearly for the ADI Register and the points you have just now will not be an issue at that time in the future when you do apply to be on the ADI Register once you have qualified.

Brian

#5 23-11-09 13:21:11

on board training

Hi,

I thought you were initially applying to start training as a driving instructor not to go on trainee.

I have just read some of your older posts.

Have I picked up correctly that you have passed Pt2 and looking to go on a trainee badge?

If yes, the school you are hoping to go with should be able ot help you.

While the timings part of my post are not as relevant if you want to go trainee the accepting what you did wrong about the points is valid as well as the fact you are a fit and proper person in most other areas and appreciate the error of your ways and won't be getting more points.

#6 23-11-09 19:01:32

angel22

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I have not started doing anything yet!  I am awaiting the dsa to say I can start training before I begin studying for part one.
The speeding offences were both at the end of 2008 so will be on my licence for another two years.

#7 23-11-09 20:18:18

on board training

Hi,

A good worded letter to the DSA along the lines I have suggested, should help. If they then still say no and you are really keen, then you can take it to the Transport Tribunal 1st tier appeal.

I do however think if you word the letter correctly they will allow you to be entered on the PDI register to start training.

Brian

#8 23-11-09 21:11:27

angel22

Hang on a minute, Im a little confused.

Do I need to apply to join the register of approved driving instructors before i can start my training for part one?
I thought I had to be accepted first to save going through all the training and passing the exams only to find out that they wont accept me?

Thanks

#9 23-11-09 21:28:51

on board training

Hi,

Same thing applies if you were only 18 and half, and want to train and sit the qualifying exams but they say you must be at least 21yrs and held full licence for 4 years (generally it is accepted you can hold licence for 3 and half years to be accepted to start training) but legally there is nothing wrong in you being accepted onto the PDI Register to start training at 18 and a half years with full licence held for one year, knowing you can take two full years to pass part three and then put your full ADI licence on hold for 12 months - you would then be old enough and have held your full licence long enough too!

Look at the worst case scenario - the DSA dig heals in and say no due to your 6 points stating you are not a fit and proper person to be entered on the ADI Register - but at the moment you are not asking to be entered on the ADI Register on a full or trainee badge, you are asking to be entered on the PDI Register to allow you to train and sit the qualifying exams. If the DSA thought the points were a major issue you would simply time your training and qualification exams accordingly so you have qualified and not only are the points not valid for totting up but they may not be shown on your licence if removed after 4 years.

I have fought the corner with DSA of younger applicant who was initially told no you cant train and pass the exams as you are not old enough nor held your licence long enough and once DSA were reminded of the actual law and how it should be applied, they agreed there was nothing stopping this person and allowed him to be entered onto the PDI Register.

#10 23-11-09 22:06:16

KevB
Verified Member
Website

At the start of the process, you will apply for consideration to be added to the register.
If accepted at this stage, you will be issued with a PRN  (personal reference number).
If you are succesful and become qualified, this will become your ADI number.

You cannot take part 1 without a PRN.
You need to be "a fit and proper person" as part of the requirements to gain a PRN.

I would suggest that 2 speeding offences (which you currently defend) in the last 18 months are grounds for refusal to be accepted, however, a well worded appeal, and an undertaking to not re-offend has been rewarded with leniency in the past for others in similar situation to you.

#11 24-11-09 21:09:34

angel22

Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to draft a letter to dsa along the lines you have suggested.  I just checked the dates of my speeding offences again and one was 2007 and one was 2008 so that does not seem so bad.  I did not have two offences in the same year as previously thought.

#12 25-11-09 10:43:21

sipin
Verified Member

Some great advice above, even if they rule against you don't give up try again, I have a saying "The squeaky wheel always gets the oil", I hope it goes well for you

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#13 25-11-09 15:28:42

on board training

Hi,

I have sent you a draft letter to send to the DSA and I have also phoned ADI Section today and given them a hypothetical situation re applicant with 6 points for what you have described and it should be looked on in a favourable light.  wink

Cheers,
            Brian

Board footer