You are not logged in.

#1 06-11-09 19:28:24

andrew21day

ADI Part 3 advice please

I have recently started to train to be a driving instructor and have been lucky so far with my brothers mate,who is a driving instructor giving me lots of good advice. I was told to go for the part 1 myself using all the relevant books etc. and he would also help me with the part 2 training to help save me some money. So far this has worked, I passed the part 1 first time and have my part 2 test booked. Looking a little further ahead,I have read a number of reviews of training companies for the part 3 section and so far I am unsure who to go with. I have heard good reviews about LDC and generally bad things about RED/The Instructor College, could anyone advise of any place to avoid or any places that you would reccommend? Any feedback at all would be appreciated
cheers
Andy

06-11-09 19:28:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI Part 3 advice please

#2 07-11-09 09:26:27

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I would advise going to informal meetings with plenty of companies, AA, BSM, LDC, TIC etc etc But make sure you go armed with a list of questions to ask. You can compare more easliy when you have gathered information and are sat at home.

Don't forget though, you don't have to train with a big company. Phone around schools in your region, and also think about independant instructors in your area who offer instructor training. When looking this way, a good indicator is to check if they are ORDIT registered. (ORDIT = Official Register of Driving Instructor Trainers)

By talking to as many people as possible, you will get loads of info, and you will get a feel for them yourself. If you meet someone from TIC for example, and simply don't get a good feeling, then you can walk away. Remember, all the training organisations would love to have you, even though they sometimes make it feel like you are lucky to get a training position with them. If you don't like something, there's so many other options!

On a side note, this forum will provide valuable information. But I can only talk from my own experience of deciding who to train with. I was also looking for a trainer from Part 1 initially. I've never even met with the AA or BSM. I spoke with them on the phone and simply didn't like their pricing structure, plus I didn't like the idea of being one trainee amongst hundreds in the company!

I went to a presentation for The Instructor College, and again, paying thousands up front put me off straight away. I also didnt like the idea that TIC were not a driving school, they simply trained people to be instructors. Some people may look at it the other way and say that this is obviously their speciality then..... but I wanted to be trained by someone working in the business. I didn't get a good impression at this meeting anyway.

I spoke with LDC on the phone again, and really liked their system. Got good impressions and have since heard good things about LDC over time. But once again, I was put off paying loads up front.

So, through these very forums, I found a good local instructor, who is experienced in instructor training and I simply did PAY AS YOU GO. Therefore, no large fees up front, or loans to pay back. Pay each time you have a lesson, with no obligation to stay with the same guy. If I didnt like him, I could stop without losing money. If I found the job wasnt going to be for me (Part 3 is by far the hardest part) then I would lose money.

Anyway, Im biased, I always recommend finding a good local instructor who is ORDIT registered. Then train on a pay as you go basis.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#3 07-11-09 13:00:42

Matterhorn

If you train with one of the big names do you have to pay up front. Surely if the trainer is self employed they can be approached by a prospective client who can then agree a pay as you go contract.

#4 07-11-09 13:15:49

Aspyre

You mean incite some one who is employed and salaried to breach the terms of their contract and take backhanders??  yikes

Paying up front does have some advantages like many companies trian you until you pass or give up where as with PAYG will cost extra.

Bottom line is how good the instructor is and do you get on with them.

Best to take in all the information and make your own decision..... not just go on one or two strong recomendations (or bad ones) for one school or another.. What works for one person wont always work for another.

Same is true for when you pass........ be careful listening to the"definitly go indie" advice.. A lot of people do and have to give it all up due to lack of work...... like I say what works for one doesnt always work for another.

#5 07-11-09 16:45:34

Matterhorn

AA instructors are not employed or salaried so how would they be breaching their contract if i approached one of their trainers wanting a pay as you go deal.

#6 07-11-09 17:04:34

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I'd hazard a guess that it'd be written in to the terms and conditions of any franchise agreement. AA would probably want to know about anyone you take on, and if you don't tell them, it could be a breach of your contract.

If there's nothing in the T&C's though, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#7 07-11-09 18:26:46

Aspyre

I thought you were talkking about TIC!

No your right..... with the AA you could probably do it.... but with the conditions possibly mrbrightside has raised.

In any case the AA does PAYG doesnt it so it wouldnt be necessary (unless it was to undercut).

Mind you thinking about it.... are TIC instructors salaried or franchised?? They used to be salaried.

#8 07-11-09 19:21:03

Lucky245
Verified Member

Ask around other local instructors for their advice on who to do your pt3 with.  Remember just because they're not ORDIT registered doesn't mean they're bad trainers, 2 of the best trainers in my area are not ORDIT registered but their pass rates speak for themselves.  Like everything in this business ask around and you'll usually find what and who you're looking for. big_smile

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#9 08-11-09 18:31:16

ExAdiNigel

Where are you based?  If you divulge that info then there may be a good chance that someone on here may be able to help you.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#10 08-11-09 19:50:09

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I agree with most of the other posts. Ask around and try and find a PAYG trainer (Ordit registered if possible). What grade are they (5 or 6 would be best to go with) Any other qualifications? Cardington/ Rospa Gold fleet diploma etc.

The best thing is to get a recommendation. If you don't see eye to eye then you can just stop your training and find someone else. I am sure there are good trainers with the big companies, heard good things about LCD and AA on the forums but again I was not keen on paying up front.

Good luck

jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#11 09-11-09 17:32:04

andrew21day

Thanks for all the info, I live in Nottingham but could get to Derby and Leicester area's if needed.

#12 10-11-09 06:54:44

nigel
Verified Member

you could look up Nigel Dawson nr derby hes on the reviews and well worth talking to

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

#13 10-11-09 09:15:24

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Yes I have heard he is an excellent trainer and one of the most qualified you will find. http://www.excelsiortraining.co.uk/about.php

Good luck.

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer