You are not logged in.

#1 04-10-09 06:31:16

Bashy

Starting Pink tomorrow-First Pupil / test

Hi all,

I'm starting on my pink tomorrow (arrived in the post yesterday morning-phew!!). My trainer has booked me in for a 6 hour intensive with a test at the end.
I am nervous but looking forward to it at the same time. I wouldn't even say nervous, more apprehensive as I'm not sure what to expect...is this normal?
I've spoke to the pupil and he told me he has had 'over 20 lessons' and that he failed a test last week.

Does anyone have any advice.

Cheers

04-10-09 06:31:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting Pink tomorrow-First Pupil / test

#2 04-10-09 12:15:06

nigel
Verified Member

thats brave

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

#3 04-10-09 13:54:00

Johnstone
Verified Member

I too am on my pink licence at the moment, and my sponsoring school has eased me in gently, which, for me is the right thing to do. I work full time, have been on my pink for 2 months now and am teaching 8 hours per week. If my sponsoring adi had booked me an intensive with a test at the end I think it would have put me under too much pressure too quickly. In my experience the true learning begins for you, when it's only you and the pupil in the vehicle.

I am using the pink as the learning tool that it is there for, my sponsoring adi is paying me hourly and I use any proceeds from this to pay for my ongoing training and any surplus will go towards my part 3 test fee and then adi licence when the time comes.
Regards
Johnstone.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 05-10-09 07:31:43

Lynne
Verified Member

thats brave

I second that.

"20 lessons" ...means nothing.  How long were they for?  This would at least give you some idea of hours on the road although we all know that people vary to greatly I'd be feeling more comfortable with 40 hours than 20 hours which is crazy.   

Has your trainer assessed them to know 6 hours is sufficient to get them safe and test ready or has this pupil come to you both from cold?  neutral

And 6 hours intensive?  In one day?? I find most people flag after about 2 hours and get too mentally tired to absorb nuch and make silly mistakes. They need lots of breaks.  Your trainer has arrnged this, if you feel your pupil isn't safe and it was me, I 'd be ringing them up saying they're still not ready.

Bashy...you'd best see the DL25 too to see what they failed on, do an assessment and go from there.  To be honest I think that's very unfair of anyone to drop you in at the deep end like that.

That's only my opinion of course.  I could and hope I'm wrong.   Would love to hear it all went well and your pupil passes which will be a tremendous confidence boost for you.  smile

Lynne

#5 05-10-09 21:19:03

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi

It sounds like you are being thrown in at the deep end, as  a pdi i would have had kittens being asked to do this by my sponsor company, but I hope all is going well for you.

The pink licence is to gain experience in teaching learners under supervised conditions, ie, sponsor sitting in on some of your lessons or you attending further training.  I hope you are getting all the support available to you.

don't forget, you know more than they do, follow your training advice, teach to your lesson plans and learn from this experience.

Best of luck to you in your part 3 and of course to your candidate for their test. 

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#6 06-10-09 08:02:24

Bashy

Hi,

I had the lesson and test with the pupil yesterday and even though he failed the lesson itself went well.
He failed down to bad luck and nerves.
He was a very good driver and I didn't have to use my pedals at all for the whole 5 hours. He was weak on the manouevres, observations especially. Also on the mirror checks. I kept prompting and telling him why the obs and mirror checks were inmportant, but he just said, "yeah, I keep forgetting"
On the test he failed for 2 serious and 2 minors.
1 serious was on reverse round a corner. Even though I told him constantly "just as you pass the junction, indicate left" he failed to do it and there was a car behind. The other serious was bad luck. He was driving along (and this is only what he told me as I missed the briefing) a couple of kids he goes to college with (who obviously don't like him) saw him drving along and decided to jump out into the road. He didn't say whether the instructor had to use his pedals and didn't go into more detail. He had a serious under control - Parked break/MC front brake.
The other 2 minors were for approach speed and 1 for obs. He couldn't remember what the examiner said about these two.

He is in the process of trying to get a cancellation at the mo and says he will phone me when he needs the next lesson, but I have a feeling he will go with his previous instructor. He had 20+ lessons with him in his 5 year old focus and found my brand new 2 week old Fiesta a bit difficult to get used to. He only used a different instructor for this test because his previous couldn't do the cancellation he managed to get for yesterday. He is desperate to pass.
I really fell for the kid and would like to see him through to the end, but I completely understand if he goes back to his old instructor. The experienc good for me, I'm just gutted he didn't pass.

I'm now looking forward to my next pupil, and feel I'm a bit more ready for the exam. I understand all the comments on here that the pink is for practcal experience for part 3 and that iis what I am using oit for. My briefings oon the part 3 are spot on, it was just my lesson control that was letting me down, but I feel that having real pupils will help me achieve this.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoyed my first ever write up (if you could call it that).

Cheers

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-10-09 09:28:22

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Hi,

I had the lesson and test with the pupil yesterday and even though he failed the lesson itself went well.
He failed down to bad luck and nerves.

Did he do a 5 hour lesson immediately followed by his test?

If so, I imagine other factors affected him as well as bad luck and nerves. Things like;

You were not present for the debrief - why was that?

I did enjoy your write up, but have to agree with others that this was throwing you right in at the deep end and in all honesty, not really helpful to either your needs or your pupil's needs...

Good luck with your trainee licence and eventual Part 3 and I hope that your trainer/sponsor gives you the support you need and the "right" type of pupil to enable it to be an effective experience for all concerned smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#8 06-10-09 12:13:52

Lynne
Verified Member

Nice to see your write up Bashy and you had a positive experience out of your first lesson (even if he failed).  You'll be looking forward to your next one now. smile

Board footer