You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 17-05-05 13:39:40

JustLightning
Verified Member
Website

PST2 - Phase 1

Hi guys, this is my first time - so be gentle with me.

I've got my Part III looming and I'd like some advice on the briefing part of PST2 - Moving Off and Stopping.

As I understand it I (as the PDI) have got to drive to a suitable place for this lesson (on directions from the SEADI). 

So when should I do the recap and briefing - and should I do a commentary drive on the way to show the various routines - POM/MSM - that need to be used.  I don't want the whole thing to be 'bitty' and disjointed, but at the same time I need to say something during the drive.

Your advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

JL

17-05-05 13:39:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PST2 - Phase 1

#2 17-05-05 14:01:58

Eppilott PDI

The way I'm doing it at the moment is :-

1.  Introductions and recap - Like a real pupil, you need to establish what the situation is and what they know.  This is done at the very beginning because its from that, that you decide what subject you need to teach.

2.  Once you've decided what to teach you can then state the objectives.

3.  Tell them what's gonna happen next i.e. I'll be driving to a suitable site etc..........

4.  On the way try and put them at ease and, as you say, mention some of the things they'll be learning about i.e. POM and MSM.

5.  Then, when you're in the passenger seat get them to carry out the safety routine.

6.  Once the mirrors are correctly adjusted, this leads nicely into your brief on mirror use and so on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

#3 17-05-05 16:22:02

lewis12

Hi there justlightning.

Yes you do have to drive to a suitable place, but rather than give commentary on POM/MSM keep it simple (they have only just started to drive remember), I tend to talk about the driving mirrors. why you check them, when you check them etc.

The drive is only going to be short, so you shouldn't run out of things to say. You also don't want to overload them by talking about too many things, pick a key topic (I use mirrors) and explain that well.

As has been said many times before, the briefing is only a small part of the PST, make sure you understand the core competencies (fault analysis, identification and remedial action), thats the key to passing the exam.

Good luck with the exam smile

Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.

#4 17-05-05 18:35:46

Alibran

I've been told that mirrors is a good thing to talk about too.  But if you're going to demonstrate mirrors, make sure you're checking them at the right times!!

When I practiced this with my trainer, I also explained what I was doing as I moved off at the beginning of the drive.  Then, when I came to getting the "pupil" to do it I was able to say things like, "Now you need to set the gas.  You just need a little bit of gas.  Do you remember what I did before we left the car park?"

#5 17-05-05 18:39:26

luchell

we were told moving off and stopping actually contains mirrors quite heavily and have been taught to see it as two subjects moving off and stopping AND  mirrors. so talking about that would make great sense on the way there as then youve covered it to an extent and just have to put in the obvious once youre where you need to be.

Board footer