You are not logged in.

#1 07-09-09 08:56:53

angel22

Can I train as an Instructor with 6 points on my licence?

Hello,

I have 6 points as follows;

2 x 3 points SP30 speeding offences.
One was in 2007 and one in 2008.

Will anyone be able to train me with these on my licence?

07-09-09 08:56:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Can I train as an Instructor with 6 points on my licence?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-09-09 09:00:35

jay666
Website

I think it will be ok i started my training with 6 points although 3 were spent. Because they are just SP30's i think it is ok any more than that though and you may have had problems.

#3 08-09-09 19:21:13

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

Hmmmm I'm not so sure. You'd be better off asking the DSA. The DSA can be a bit funny about points on licenses.

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#4 08-09-09 19:52:42

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The final say rests with the Registrar, upon you completing the 3rd pard of the process.

The DSA bleat on about 6 points maximum, but as far as I'm aware, this is a figure they have come up with and that has no basis in law, so in itself cannot exclude you from applying.

You must be considered as "fit and proper". It is NOT the DSA's opinion on what is fit and proper, but rather the registrars, although they can offer their opinion for the registrars benifit.

I would find it very hard to beleive that the Registrar would want to have to contest a refusal of an application based on just 6 points on a licence should the case go to the tribunal.

In any case, it's highly likely that 3 of the points will have been spent by the time you reached part 3 and actually applied to be on the register anyway.

Relevent legislation is RTA and Motor Cars(driving Instruction) Regulations.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 08-09-09 20:09:22

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I've just dug out my  copy of the ADI14 and this is what it says:

The decision rests with the Registrar and is based on all convictions not spent under the Rehabilation of Offenders Act 1974 and/or any motoring convictions acquired in the last 6 years. Any offence(s) which result in endorsements totalling five penalty points  or more will be looked at closely and could result in an application being refused.

Should the Registrar decide not to approve your application to join the Register, you have the right of appeal to the Independent Transport Tribunal.

#6 26-11-09 08:59:45

JRA1312

Sounds like good advice, i too have six points and am just starting out, the ADI trainer i have spoken to seems to think that SP30's are looked on as quite minor offences and should not be a problem.

#7 12-01-10 09:11:47

jim thompson
Website

I have had people in the same boat as you apply and have no problems. Over what you have would be a different story or if you had gained all the points in one hit.

Board footer