You are not logged in.

#1 25-03-04 10:03:42

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Teaching Family

We Have a son who will be 17 next year, Do we teach him our selfs and have that perant / teenager confrontation every lesson, or do we get another instructor to teach him. Is there anyone out there that has been though this ?   :?

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

25-03-04 10:03:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Teaching Family

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-03-04 10:59:23

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Kev,
      Just doing it at the mo, started son 17 3 weeks ago, had about 8 lessons.
Got mixed feelings , its good for him to have regular ( cheap ) lessons, but I am sorrry to say that we fell out on yest lesson.
I know I shouldn"t have reacted to his remark to me and attitude but I did and we we both sorry afterwards.
I definatley would not have spoke to a reg pupil like I spoke to him and I have learned a lesson from this ( hope he has 2).
Gonna stick with it  smile .

#3 25-03-04 13:24:28

Liesa

Hi Rusty

Thanks for the honest reply, both myself and Kev have mixed feelings at the moment on teaching our kids to drive.

I don't know how you consider the lessons to be cheap, you still have to give your valuable time.   wink

#4 25-03-04 13:34:29

Bob_FOADS

When my G/F wanted to learn Motorcycles (I was a bike instructor at the time) I got her through the first bit and got her going on the main riding but as soon as I thought she was 'safe' (ish) I stopped teaching her and got her to find someone else.

It ment she only needed a few lessons with another instructor BUT I didn't have to go through the 'you didn't signal at that one junction' type stuff which is often where the arguments often arise.

You may also be being too hard / leanient on them if you know them well.

My Opinon, teach to a fair standard then pass them onto someone else for finnishing off.

#5 25-03-04 13:44:00

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Liesa,
          When I say cheap I mean FREE !. :cry:

#6 25-03-04 13:50:43

arib
Verified Member
Website

Kev,
I've taught both my son and daughter, both passed first time, and it can be quite heated at times. My daughter was the worst, very hot tempered, like her mum wink . She's never been frightened to speak her mind and many a lesson we nearly parted company. However, it was all made worthwhile when returning home from the test centre. 'Dad, you know everything you said was right'. Don't know what she would have said if she'd failed  lol
To answer the other part of your question. I'm teaching a lad at the minute whose dad is an instructor. Thats just as difficult because he sometimes interferes. I get feed back on lessons, like, Dad say this and Dad says that :x   Dad even booked his test when he passed his theory even though he never enquired if he was ready. Guess what. He failed

ariB

#7 25-03-04 21:57:37

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Kev.

My eldest will be 17 in August and I share your concerns. I was hoping to do an exchange with some of the guys in work, but all the guys with kids the same age live miles away. 

I think I will end up paying for lessons through an independant local Instructor as this in real terms will be no more expensive than doing them myself.

Youngest is no problem, wont learn with me, says she wants a "proper Instructor" tongue

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#8 03-04-04 19:22:51

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the replies, I'm still in two minds but we still have just over a year to think about it.  :axe:

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#9 11-04-04 18:26:31

AliceM

Hi
Just to let you know that I taught my son right the way through (he passed second attempt) and it was OK.  Obviously I was concerned about how we would get on, but I had previously taught several of his friends and that may have helped him accept me on lessons as his instructor rather than his Mum.  I may have been lucky in that he took to driving very easily having driven a scooter for a year so that the only problem I had was keeping him to the speed limit!  My daughter will be 17 in January so wish me luck with her!

By the way, our local senior examiner strongly recommended I teach my son myself.
All the best
smile

Board footer