You are not logged in.

#1 10-08-09 17:29:59

jonesgez

CRB-UPDATE-GUTTED

Hi All

You have prob seen my recent topic posts about my CRB concerns.

Well I've been in contact with DSA, who have been helpful, and unfortunately due to my conviction and what has been imposed on me, I wont be able to be accepted on to the Register.

Any info on the supposed changes to the CRB would be grateful

Thanks

G

10-08-09 17:29:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CRB-UPDATE-GUTTED

#2 10-08-09 18:32:07

Roadmaster
Verified Member

There are no changes to CRB.  Anyone wanting to become/remain an ADI will still have to have an enhanced CRB, on which the registrar will then make a decision.

What is changing is that from July 2010 ADIs will also have to be registered with the Independent Safeguard Authority.  This will happen at the same time the ADI applies for their CRB to renew their ADI licence.

#3 11-08-09 05:38:44

ExAdiNigel

Isn't there some sort of appeal procedure you can go through?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 11-08-09 06:49:49

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Yes, you can appeal to the transport tribunal.
However,  if you have a live criminal conviction (especially with conditions as the op appears to suggest)  I cannot imagine the tribunal over ruling the ADI registrar as it would set a precedent which would destroy the integrity of the register.

The OP needs to contact ISA too, because even if he appeals successfully against DSA,  next year he could be kicked off  if ISA refuse to register him. 

#5 11-08-09 21:53:39

jonesgez

Hi all

I have to wait until next April if i want to apply to the  DSA as my 3 1/2 year is up then.( from the day which I had my full driving license) I contacted the DSA and was in contact with a representative who, after disclosing my situation thought I would be unlikely to be accepted.

Any more thoughts or feedback appreciated

G

#6 12-08-09 06:53:37

Roadmaster
Verified Member

If DSA has already indicated you are unlikely to be admitted onto the register there isn't much point in going any further.    You need to accept that and move on.

The only chance you have is if your conviction is 'spent' by the time you are able to apply.  Depending on the seriousness DSA might then reconsider.

#7 12-08-09 07:38:15

ExAdiNigel

Did the chap you spoke to give any indiication if things will change over time?

Nigel

#8 13-08-09 10:28:47

jonesgez

No

He said when I am looking to apply for DSA next year then maybe they can re asses the situation. But that's prob a polite no chance!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 13-08-09 11:02:23

Luchell
Verified Member

I don't mean to seem rude but without having any idea whatsoever of what kind of offence we are talking about i'm completely at a loss, I popped back through your posts the other day as some seemed to know what you were going on about but none the wiser still.  neutral Don't worry I am not asking you to give out info it's just rather hard to offer 'advice'. You've had a full licence for 3 and a half years next april?

#10 18-08-09 19:20:04

jonesgez

Applogies

2010 about april will be the cut off date when i COULD of applied for the register
My conviction has another 6 years remaining.

GUTTING  really

#11 18-08-09 20:07:46

Roadmaster
Verified Member

6 years suggests it's  not a minor offence.  I think you are wasting your time if you think you are going to get on the register next year. 

#12 18-08-09 21:54:35

jonesgez

7 years is how long criminal records stay no matter what the offence!

#13 01-09-09 07:27:26

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi Jonesgez,

I think you will find that a conviction is SPENT after 10 Years from DATE of CONVICTION...

Regards,

#14 11-09-09 06:47:46

nay7272

it is ten years before it is classed as spent, I used to work for the police

#15 11-09-09 07:11:16

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi Nay7272,

Me too - reitred on full pension in 2002.

Regards,

#16 11-09-09 08:42:29

KevB
Verified Member
Website

With full respect to Barry and Nay, the 10 year spent rules apply mainly to criminal convictions.
There are some convictions that are spent after 5 years too.

It is my understandong that Any conviction of an offence under mental health act would be spent after 5 years.

A recent example in the news is the guy applying to be a london cabbie. This is a very controvertial case, with many cabbies not happy with the situation.

He killed his wife and was convicted under mental health act.
Although he is required to undergo CRB and be classed as a fit and proper person (same requirements as for driving instructors) his conviction was 7 years ago and so is able to do the knowledge as his conviction was spent after 5 years.

Wether or not the cabbies office actually allow him to complete the knowledge will more likely be a political decision (due to the bad feelings amongst the cabbie fraternity) rather than one based solely on the rules as they are now.

#17 11-09-09 16:53:18

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi Kev,

Yes - there certainly are a number of occasions for LESSER offences (for want of a better phrase) that the norm is 5 years. To my mind if you commit Murder - irrespective - (Wasn't his provocation??) you should be punished as is.... and the crime registered as such. We are getting into the realms of Passion - like they have in France now - just don't think it is right personally.

As for this chap becoming a Cabbie - I think you may be right about the unrest it would cause and the possible outcome. Also remember the chap in charge tends to be an Ex Met Commander or someone of that rank - incestuous I know but it has worked for donkeys to my knowledge.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 11-09-09 20:05:26

ExAdiNigel

....Also remember the chap in charge tends to be an Ex Met Commander or someone of that rank - incestuous I know but it has worked for donkeys to my knowledge.

Regards,

Incestuous?  Donkeys?  Where is this thread headed now? yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

Nigel

#19 12-09-09 11:38:05

Luchell
Verified Member

Where's a Donkey?  :? lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 12-09-09 17:11:06

ExAdiNigel

Where's a Donkey?  :? lol

You silly Ass! big_smile

Nigel

#21 11-11-09 15:13:22

on board training

Hi,

Did you get any further with this?

A good idea to log onto the Transport Tribunal website www.transporttribunal.gov.uk/DecisionsDigest/decisionsDigest.htm

Have a look through some of the appeals and you will be amazed at the variation on what is and is not allowed on appeal! One is a drug smuggler convicted and imprisoned abroad, didn't disclose this to the DSA as he thought it didn't matter as it was abroad - aye right ! Now deemed a fit and proper person and believed he didn't know he should have disclosed it! ! ! WTF

I also keep reading that applicants have to wait 3 1/2 years until they can apply to start training - - - - absolute rubbish.

#22 12-11-09 11:16:58

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I also keep reading that applicants have to wait 3 1/2 years until they can apply to start training - - - - absolute rubbish.

One can start training at any time, however, cannot aply to be on the register until the qualifying period has been obtained.

#23 12-11-09 12:53:48

on board training

on board training wrote:

One can start training at any time, however, cannot aply to be on the register until the qualifying period has been obtained.

Sorry to labour this point:- if Joe Bloggs, having passed his test on his 18th birthday decides at 19 to train to become a driving instructor he has to 'Register' with the DSA as a Potential Driving Instructor and is given his ADI Regn No. and he can sit his theory then Pts 2 & 3 - but almost everywhere including the DSA say sorry you can't, you need to wait 'til 3 1/2yrs etc to do so. The DSA then only back down and let him register as a Potential Driving Instructor once they are reminded the legal requirement is actually in relation to being on the ADI Register (for badge holders i.e. trainees and fully qualified ADIs) not the PDI Register.

#24 12-11-09 15:15:34

KevB
Verified Member
Website

if Joe Bloggs, having passed his test on his 18th birthday decides at 19 to train to become a driving instructor he has to 'Register' with the DSA as a Potential Driving Instructor and is given his ADI Regn No.

He's issued with a PRN, (Personal Reference Number).

It bercomes his ADI number upon qualifying, and if added to the register.

If you say the DSA backed down when the law is explained to them, then what's the issue?

#25 12-11-09 15:35:21

on board training

If you say the DSA backed down when the law is explained to them, then what's the issue?

I feel the issue is the DSA should not need to be backed into a corner and reminded of the legislation and I have had a few who could have started training much earlier if the DSA or initial trainer they approached had explained it properly.

Board footer