You are not logged in.

#1 04-08-09 21:56:45

Lankytim

Career change. Is being a driving instructor for me?

Hi everybody.

First things first, id better introduce myself. I'm Tim, I live in Stoke on Trent and up until a month or so ago I was a class 1 HGV driver. Driving large lorries has been a good way of paying the bills but I have never found it very satisfying and have always toyed with the idea of doing something different and more worthwhile with my life. Unfortunately I was "credit crunched" and made redundant last month, I say "unfortunately" but maybe its a good thing as I have been forced to reaccess what I want to do career wise..

Ive found other work delivering cars on trade plates, which is fun but I intend to retrain and find something more concrete ASAP. Ive been looking at various different websites at becoming a driving instructor, I think it looks to be a very fulfilling job to do. I enjoy meeting and working with different people and with my background in driving I feel it could be the job for me.

I understand it would cost around £3000 to train which is alot of money but would be well worth it if it provides me with a career I can rely on, can anyone advise me on the best way of training and what to do next?  Ive no idea which would provide the best route to a qualification and who would provide the best deal regarding work and income.

Basically, has anyone got any advice on what I should do next and any companies I should avoid? Any advice is appreciated, even if its "don't bother, theres no work for instructors!"

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

04-08-09 21:56:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Career change. Is being a driving instructor for me?

#2 05-08-09 04:51:02

FRANKS
Verified Member

Plenty of advise on here coving this topic, read through the simular threads

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 05-08-09 05:42:36

ExAdiNigel

There doesn't tend to be a lot of support for RED either.

General consensus is usually to find a local independent trainer as payment can be more flexible.  Though there can be recommendations for LDC and the AA.

Where are you based?  Perhaps someone on this forum is in your area and can help you?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 05-08-09 20:45:50

Lankytim

Ill have a good mooch around the forums and read about whats what. I may need things spelling out for me sometimes though as I know pretty much nothing about being an instructor- the last instructor I spoke to was the fella who taught me to drive a lorry in 2001.

Nigel, im based in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 06-08-09 16:04:30

jay666
Website

adiNigel wrote:

There doesn't tend to be a lot of support for RED either.

I am training with RED through The instructor college in Wolverhampton and they have been excellent so far. Theres my support for them. smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 07-08-09 04:43:42

ExAdiNigel

....Nigel, im based in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire.

Then check out another Nigel (username Hector) on here.  He is in your area and tends to be respected by those who have met and trained with him.  You can find more about him here...http://www.excelsiortraining.co.uk/.  He would be well worth contacting and speaking to before making any firm decision.

Good luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 07-08-09 10:00:34

Jimothy
Verified Member

Hi Tim, Hector has already been recommended. There's also little old me based fairly local to you. Drop me a PM for my phone number if you want to discuss it further.

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#8 07-08-09 12:59:33

Lankytim

Cheers for the input guys, plenty to read over.

One thing im worried about is the amount of work out there. Is the market saturated with instructors or is there enough work for everyone?I wouldnt want to get trained up only to find theres no work.

#9 07-08-09 15:27:23

Jimothy
Verified Member

There's peaks and there's troughs in business. If you're good enough as an ADI and as a businessman you can get work.

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

Board footer