You are not logged in.

#1 01-08-09 16:41:38

raquel.ar

Learning to drive at 44

Had 5 professional driving lessons.  Mistakes made so far:
1st lesson:  - tried to pull the handbrake when my instructor asked me to change to second gear (WHAT???)
                - when my instructor asked me to stop, i tried not to look at the handbrake when pulling it up, he said I was like stevie wonder (hehe) and   told me to look, there's no problem in looking to put handbrake
                - stalled many times in turning to junction

Next lessons- getting better in changing gear but instead of 2nd I've put to 4th
                 - alway wrong in positioning car when turning left or right at junctions
                 - didn't change gear to second when turning right and in uphill road (left it to 3rd) so the car struggles even when I press the gas very hard.   
                - still not perfect in the position of car when driving, quite far from the kerb, nearly in the middle of road
                - instructor told me to turn left at the next road, I saw a car going left, followed it but the car was going to the army barracks on the left, my instructor was patient with my mistakes but I can see that he feels frustrated sometimes

Will post some more later.           

01-08-09 16:41:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learning to drive at 44

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-08-09 19:00:43

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Don't worry one iota Raquel.

Patience is the badge of our tribe, [misquoteing Shakespeare].

Most of the faults you've mentioned we see often. Never had the Stevie Wonder one though. big_smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 04-08-09 19:41:11

raquel.ar

Thanks for your comment.  It's encouraging to read messages like that.
I've done my 6th lesson today and still not perfect in stoppint at junctions to turn right. 
Need more practice.  Patience, patience, patience.  That is the word.

smile

Don't worry one iota Raquel.

Patience is the badge of our tribe, [misquoteing Shakespeare].

Most of the faults you've mentioned we see often. Never had the Stevie Wonder one though. big_smile

#4 04-08-09 20:13:32

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

All sounds very normal to me...doubt your instructor is feeling frustrated with you (if he does that would be a real worry).

Patience is the word...you will get there and it will be worth it! It's very early days and it sounds like your doing well. Looking forward to reading more of your blog as you go along smile

Evon x

#5 13-10-09 12:01:13

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Just had a 59 year old lady pass 1st time just took a little longer im sure you'll be fine. smile

oh dear

#6 14-11-09 17:57:29

vizzo

Keep updating us raquel

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-02-10 02:56:16

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

- tried to pull the handbrake when my instructor asked me to change to second gear (WHAT???)

Don't worry about making mistakes raquel, we all do and as a learner you are actually expected to make them!
Here's a couple of mistake by others for you to laugh at, it might make you feel better...

When I was taking gliding lessons, I once yanked up the air-brake lever instead of pulling the tow rope release - instead of releasing from the tug plane and banking gracefully away to soar like an eagle, quick intervention by the instructor was needed to stop us and the still-attached tug plane from making an ungraceful descent to earth.
As my confidence grew I never repeated that mistake although the "banking gracefully" and "soaring like an eagle" bits still eluded me.

When I take students into central Darwin City I find there's often a tendency to follow the car in front as if attached by an invisible tow rope - a normal response to a stressful situation when learning something new.
Once when I took a student into Darwin for his first city drive, we had to stop behind other cars as a crane unloaded stuff at a construction site.
While we waited I reminded the student about the invisible tow rope syndrome and we discussed exactly what we would be doing when clear to go.
The vehicle in front turned abruptly into the construction site - and guess who tried to follow, it was only seconds after my little talk.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#8 18-09-10 11:29:45

Passwithus
Website

Don't worry about mistakes. We all make mistakes and this is how we all learn. You can never know, may be one day you become a driving instructor yourself. Just relax and enjoy the experience.

Pass with us
Driving Lessons Newcastle Gateshead Sunderland Durham & the North East
Free Driving Instructor Training
Tel: 0845 603 1794. Email: [url=http://mailto:info@passwithus.com]info@passswithus.com

#9 06-12-10 09:11:27

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

If you know how to drive you would'nt be taking driving lessons......mistakes will happen just remember your a new driver........enjoy your instructor will put it alright for you

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

#10 28-12-10 17:19:03

Barry500
Website

Keep going I taught an 80 year old a couple of years ago, why at that age do you think I want to learn she said.

Just so she could take her husband down the pub, no it's because he was no longer allowed to drive because of medical reasons.

She passed second time, and she is still driving to this day.

So your NEVER Too old.

#11 29-12-10 02:39:23

absadi
Verified Member
Website

Never too late

#12 18-01-11 22:17:54

HewittsDriving
Website

Don't expect to be able to drive straight away raquel, remember you are learning how to drive a car safely for the rest of your life, driving isn't just about changing gear smoothly and not looking at the handbrake, it takes time and some learn quicker than others, there is nothing you can do that your instructor hasn't seen before, the handbrake for gear is done more than you can imagine, as long as you learn something after each lesson then it can only be classed as progression. Enjoy your driving and good luck

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#13 19-01-11 00:01:06

on board training

Hi,

Original post Aug 2009 and last active Dec 2009 - all going well through test now.

Brian

#14 20-09-11 20:39:51

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

Had 5 professional driving lessons.  Mistakes made so far:
1st lesson:  - tried to pull the handbrake when my instructor asked me to change to second gear (WHAT???)
                - when my instructor asked me to stop, i tried not to look at the handbrake when pulling it up, he said I was like stevie wonder (hehe) and   told me to look, there's no problem in looking to put handbrake
                - stalled many times in turning to junction

Next lessons- getting better in changing gear but instead of 2nd I've put to 4th
                 - alway wrong in positioning car when turning left or right at junctions
                 - didn't change gear to second when turning right and in uphill road (left it to 3rd) so the car struggles even when I press the gas very hard.   
                - still not perfect in the position of car when driving, quite far from the kerb, nearly in the middle of road
                - instructor told me to turn left at the next road, I saw a car going left, followed it but the car was going to the army barracks on the left, my instructor was patient with my mistakes but I can see that he feels frustrated sometimes

Will post some more later.

Hahaha.... I did the hand brake one when going into 2 gear while I was learning to drive.
Was not on 1st lesson it was on the main road after 10 or so lessons...........I have been a driving instructor for over 23 years. now. Sometimes things just take a while

Graham

#15 17-10-11 16:36:42

EmmaLearner

My instructor told me to put the car into 5th gear and cos I don't regularly use 5th, I accidentally put into reverse and the car made a big screechy noise lol

Board footer