You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 16-07-09 18:20:00

john554

PassPlus driving instructor problems

I am a new driver (passed my test in May 2009) and two months ago I decided to do PassPlus. One of my relatives recommended
*deleted*, since she found him a very good driving instructor.

I got in touch with Steve (he gave us his business card a few years ago) and we agreed on the following conditions for my PassPlus scheme:
•    We will have 3 two hour sessions, driving in various conditions (motorway, country driving, etc).
•    The lesson given will be full two hour sessions (just like it says on his business card full hour given [if you have a one hour lesson]).
•    The driving instructor will drive here in his own car and leave it on our drive for the duration of the lesson.
•    We will use my dad’s car (because Steve teachers in automatic car and I drive a manual) and I shall pay for petrol.
•    The overall price for PassPlus 3 two hour lessons would be £120.

The first two lessons went well and I was pleased with how things were going. Unfortunately, he arrived 15 minutes late and finished 15 minutes early for my first lesson. The same occurred during out second lesson (arriving 15 minutes late and finishing 15 minutes early). This meant that he owed me an extra hour lesson (excluding the final two hour session). I contacted him and asked when our next lesson would be (I also mentioned that he owes me a one hour lesson). He gave me the date and time. Surprisingly, he did not turn on the day that he specified. I called him again (30 minutes after our final lesson should have started), asking what had happened.  I was told that he left his car keys in his wife’s car and his wife went to work. As a result, he had to means of getting to my house. Somehow, I did not fully believe his story and was anxious that there is something he is not telling me. Nevertheless, we agreed that he will call me shortly (within the same week) regarding the last lesson. I waited for a week, but received no correspondence from him whatsoever (clearly, he was not a man of his words). Miraculously, I had to call 7 or 8 times before his wife picked up and said that he has gone away on holidays. She promised that he will contact me, as soon as he comes back home. After couple of weeks, I called him again, only to find that I get redirected to his voicemail (he must have switched off his mobile phone). After calling him numerous times, I was unsuccessful on every occasion. Clearly this is not how a business should be run, if he wants to keep his current customers and possibly find new ones (this is a very amateurish approach).

For the first lesson I paid £50 and for the second £40 (I thought that it would easier to overpay slightly now and pay less for the final lesson). Therefore, I only had a 2 one and half hour sessions (3 hours in total) for the price of £90. In other words, he committed fraud, since he took me for the service that he did not provide. Somehow, I think that he is not even qualified to give out PassPlus certificates. By dragging out the time gap between each lesson, he wanted to make sure he has enough time to simply vanish, without myself having any means of reaching him.

*deleted*

•    Does not provide the service promised
•    Does not keep his word
•    Does not give you the full hour (promised in his business card)
•    Does return your phone calls
•    Has very bad trading standards
•    Does not know how to run a business (and as a result does not deserve any business whatsoever)

Finally, is there any way for me to chase this person up (in terms of refunding the money that he owes or supplying myself with a PassPlus certificate)? I do not know my instructor’s full name and what company he works for (currently he lives in Great Barr and his old residence was in Erdington).

Thank you for your time

*By all means, ask for advice, but I have removed driving school name as it is not appropriate to name and shame to such an extent when they are not in a position to defend themselves
. ADMIN *

16-07-09 18:20:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PassPlus driving instructor problems

#2 16-07-09 19:59:55

FRANKS
Verified Member

Firstly, report him to the DSA

Secondly, you've probably lost your money and not got the pass plus certificate you were after.

This sort of person gives the rest of us a bad name.

Have you got the pass plus work sheet signed up for the parts you've already done. If you have hopefully he's put his DSA ADI number on it. give this to the DSA when you report him, also you can complete Pass plus with another ADI who pass plus registered

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 16-07-09 20:05:00

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

DSA and local Trading Standards.

As Franks has said, you wil probably never see the money unfortunately.

#4 16-07-09 20:30:55

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I think this post should be removed. 

This is a serious accusation about an ADI who has been clearly identified, but cannot defend himself, and probably does not know he is being slagged off in public.

#5 16-07-09 22:11:58

ExAdiNigel

So someone should let him know that this has happened and he can take steps to clear his name.  IF he has been wrongly accused.

I would suggest reporting this case to teh DSA and to your local trading standards office.

I certainly don't think the whole thread should be wiped.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 17-07-09 06:35:19

Roadmaster
Verified Member

OK, it doesn't need the whole thread wiping, but any references which could ID the ADI certainly needed to be.  Being able to identify someone could amount to libel, for which the forum owners can be in trouble.

If any critical post idetified you on here I'm sure you would be complaining.

#7 17-07-09 06:41:53

ExAdiNigel

It would depend on whether there was any foundation to the complaints.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-07-09 09:58:35

john554

Thank you for your replies
I do not wish to get the forum owners into trouble, therefore I do not mind at all that some parts have been deleted.

I did not recieve a PassPlus sheet from him (to be honest I did not know that I was supposed to have one).

I should have asked for his full name and contact details, but I never assumed that he might simply dissapear. Also, I do not have his ADI number.

I think this post should be removed. 

This is a serious accusation about an ADI who has been clearly identified, but cannot defend himself, and probably does not know he is being slagged off in public.

I think that it would be fair for his other customers to know about the poor level of service that he provides.

#9 17-07-09 19:03:23

bigfala
Verified Member

Until you have had 6 hours of Pass Plus tuition you will not get a certificate because you have to certify on the report form that you have had a total of whatever hours have been entered on the form by the ADI and it must be at least 6.

Each session can be whatever the ADI decides provided overall it is not less than an accumulated total of 6.

I generally do a two hour session followed by a four hour session on motorways and dual carriageways and I usually end up with doing around 7 hours. 

I charge a fee for a course of minimum 6 hours.  If it goes to 7 fair enough and I dont include a stop for lunch in the basic requirement.

Should you go for Pass Plus again discuss the course duration and make up and ask for the Clients Pack so that you see what has to be done.

In the meantime contact your relative again and ask to see her pass report(DL25) as  his ADI number may well be on it.

If so, use this to report the matter to the DSA whose address you can find by Googling dsa.

You might also try asking them to forward a stamped envelope to the ADI and in the envelope you have enclosed a letter warning him that unless he refunds money owing you will be pursuing him through the Small  Claims Court

If you get no response from him get the paperwork from the local clerk of the court, fill it in and send it off via the same method.

Bear in mind he may have gone bust in which case forget it and never pay up front again!

Hope this helps

BF
DIDU area rep
East of England

#10 07-06-10 09:51:02

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

Not the best Instructor for sure but one think is for sure You not gonna see your money back

Board footer