You are not logged in.

#1 09-07-09 09:37:06

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

Advice needed.......clearance

Hi Guys, just a quick one....In relation to clearance, the term "1metre per mph", am I right in thinking that means distance from vehicle ahead? For example, if you are doing 25mph, you should allow 25 metres clearance between you and the vehicle in front?

Cheers guys   roll

09-07-09 09:37:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice needed.......clearance

#2 09-07-09 09:43:22

venesh

just use the 2 sec rule........................

#3 09-07-09 09:52:31

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

Hi Venesh, I use that one already, but my instructor reckons the SE's love the 1metre etc..in my presenter, it is not really clear what it refers to...

Cheers

#4 09-07-09 10:04:39

venesh

just mention it on your brief but when your on the rd ul be fine trust me.......you can never be to far behind but you can always be to close, always say can you stop in the distance that can be seen..........use ur instinct ul no when ur to close then say'' wer a bit close here id like you to drop back a little'' try not to read into it to much....thats when pdi's start panicing

#5 09-07-09 10:11:52

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

Thats great advice mate, thanks  smile

#6 09-07-09 19:51:23

VandADI
Administrator

Keep it simple - By applying the 'two-second rule' you will be keeping a one-metre gap for each mile per hour of your speed.  You will need to bear in mind the weather conditions as the gap will  increase depending on weather conditions.
Rather then telling them they are a bit too close, try asking them what they consider is an acceptable distance, if you give them the answer straight away without giving them a chance to work it out for themselves, they have learnt nothing and you end up failing your part 3!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 09-07-09 20:09:54

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Thats good advice Vanda, generally the 2sec rule applies to out of town driving probably 40mph or more.  Around the town then, ' Can you stop if the car in front performs and emergency stop ?'  Is what my PDIs use......if one is not sure then as has already been said a bit too far is fine !!

Using methods which have to be related to specific speed/distance calculations around town is, i think, too distracting.....is it what we do ?  I dont think so....we think 'Can I stop if he slams his brakes on ?'.....

Board footer