You are not logged in.

#1 01-07-09 10:14:08

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Reference point to help judge clearance to parked cars. Totally baffled...

Failed a 2nd attempt at my part 3 the other day.   But aside from that, one of the issues was being unable to give him a really good method to help judge clearance to solitary parked cars.

I thought I knew it all.....  i.e. to pass a single parked car up ahead, move out early and line up the kerb with the sticker on the far left of my dashboard.  Afterall, this worked for me during my practice runs. 

But then he asks  "What if the car I want to pass is parked half on the pavement / half on the road........ this ref point will put me too wide",  and   "What if it's a parked motorbike..... again I'll be too wide".   Or    "what if it's a wide van ... I'll be too close".

Of course he's correct.  In the debrief he said he had a fairly accurate method but refused to tell me what it was.  Any thoughts?

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

01-07-09 10:14:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Reference point to help judge clearance to parked cars. Totally baffled...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-07-09 11:36:57

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

How about....being able to see the (vehicle you are passing) tyres in the bottom left of the nearside windscreen...i use this alot as some pupils seem to struggle with a ref point on the car they are driving.

#3 01-07-09 11:52:28

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Paul

I'm sure you have a reference piont you give your students when pulling over & stopping (not a sticky tape I hope)

If you were to use this point when passing a parked car matching it to where the vehicles wheels touch the road you would be well close. Now how about using the same idea but move the piont of reference to give you the room you need?

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#4 01-07-09 12:24:00

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the replies folks.

However, my tutor (and the examiner) advised me a while back against using the tyres of solitary vehicles.  Picture it...  you move out early to position yourself to pass the parked car.  It's currently a good few car lengths up ahead, and its whole image sits contained well within the centre of your windscreen, i.e. not interacting with your dash board, wipers etc, just hovering in space.

By the time the car's image starts to interact with your car's dashboard or wiper blade, it's too late because you're now less than a car length away, making it all a bit "last minute".  The examiner said he would have shot me down if i'd used this method, for these reasons.

I've only found the tyres method to work when fine tuning your position to pass a long row of parked cars.  So it seems there's another method out there somewhere that the examiner was hinting at....

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

#5 01-07-09 12:52:34

venesh

pull him into a side street and ask him to pull up next to a parked car keepin a resonable distance...............then say right this is the distance a want you to keep when wer on the rd

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 01-07-09 21:09:49

evanadi

pull him into a side street and ask him to pull up next to a parked car keepin a resonable distance...............then say right this is the distance a want you to keep when wer on the rd

Best answer of the lot venesh good for you. Always work out what is the right point in any given situation from the instructors seat, be it distance from kerb, parked car or when doing manouevres and then ask the pupil what they can see. We ain't all short and we ain't all tall, but the one constant is the postion YOU sit in the car. Ev

Board footer