You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-05-09 06:46:48

SnaxMuppet

Signals at Roundabouts

Please take a look at the following roundabout in Plymouth.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?near=bodm … 2&t=k&z=19

The road entering the roundabout at the top has 3 lanes... the two RH lanes are marked ahead and the left lane is marked left.

My question is this... is a signal required to turn left here?

As I am in a lane marked left only there is only one way I could be going so my first thought is no... if I am in that lane then everyone else would know which direction I was going so no signal required.

Am I right?

And what about this one... do the same things apply here too?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?near=bodm … 6&t=k&z=20

Only this time it applies to the left 2 lanes... they both are marked left.

05-05-09 06:46:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Signals at Roundabouts

#2 05-05-09 07:08:41

driverpete
Verified Member

Put yourself in the position of someone waiting to enter from the right of your first picture. Can they see that your left lane is left turn only? Would they benefit from  some confirmation of where you are going?

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 05-05-09 08:13:18

Heading4afall

I can see your point Snax. I would've thought that signalling should only be seen as unnecessary when you are completely alone on the road or there is at least an abundance of room between you and the driver behind. Otherwise what's the harm in indicating? Do you really get penalised for that?

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
Started AA training 1.5.09
CRB returned 2.6.09
Applied to join register 10.6.09

#4 05-05-09 09:22:31

driverpete
Verified Member

I understand what you're saying Snax and I'd go along with quite a lot of it. I certainly teach beginners to always signal for the very reasons you've outlined. However, by the time they're getting to test standard I'm encouraging them to at least think about whether a signal is necessary. The roundabout in your illustration looks as if it's busy most of the time so I would have thought a signal would be the norm rather than the exception here.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#5 05-05-09 09:48:18

ExAdiNigel

This is something that comes up time and time again.

Is it any big deal?  The people that seem to think it is a big deal appear to be those that prefer to signal just in case.  It is a personal choice, there is no compulsion to follow the 'only signal if necesary' style nor is there any test that insists you must only signal if necessary.

It can be useful when training for the delegate to have a go because it can help identify if they are really taking effective observation.

Too often people only think they are indicating for the benefit of those behind but, they may have the least to gain by us signalling.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 05-05-09 11:02:48

ExAdiNigel

You will get a fault if you don't signal when it was necessary but you shouldn't be faulted for one that was unnecessary provided it couldn't mislead someone.

Nigel

#7 05-05-09 15:39:20

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

On my part two I got a df for not signalling, even though the pedestrian the SE mentioned in debreif was 'miles' away.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#8 05-05-09 19:32:11

oddies
Verified Member

Isn't a signal, particularly on roundabouts, beneficial rather than misleading when the lane you are in is left only, this is only confirming your actions.

Please can you explain the small "giveway sign" say 50 metre on the left side of the road, as you go along in the left lane. If this a exit for something or someone I think a signal would be beneficial!

#9 08-05-09 22:59:00

mrbrightside
Verified Member

With regards to your first roundabout I would use the left signal each time. As some others have said, can other road users see your lane is left only? What if someone new to that roundabout is using it, they may not know. A left signal there is confirming your intentions and isn't misleading.

In general, I will ask all my students to signal every time we are "passing over white lines" onto a new road. For example, coming up to a one way street and the signs point you to go right only, I would still use a right signal. There could easily be pedestrians around or indeed drivers that haven't a clue because they haven't read or don't understand the signs but probably understand the signals on vehicles.

It is my understanding that you will only be faulted for a missed or miss-timed/confusing signal.

There is another post http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 373.0.html that relates to the whole issue of signalling in 2 other situations. You may find this helpful too.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#10 03-06-09 19:03:09

kev elliott
Verified Member

SnaxMuppet,
The logic I use on this roundabout-

In your first case
Left signal is required because on the approach to the roundabout 1 lane splits into 2, then the left hand lane splits again one ahead, one to the left. The signal removes any ambiguity. The approach to this entrance is light controlled, therefore the main advantage is to following traffic to allow them to plan their approach.

In the second case, 
It is a strange layout and does result in many people in lane 2 taking this lane to get into the Liskard A38 lane, 2nd exit at about 11:00 for those who do not know the area. Again I would give a signal in both left and centre lane on approach as this confirms your intention to other road users. This approach is not light controlled so may also assist those coming round from your right to plan their approach.

Fortunately, the test centre has moved now so no longer the first roundabout on the test route, but still on test routes.

Good luck with your test.     

#11 04-06-09 23:23:12

kev elliott
Verified Member

Snax,
This is the effect of "i have driven this road for 20 years this way, just because the layout has changed I am not going to change smile (DRiven that road for 20 + years myself almost every working day either leaving Toshiba or coming in - still have people some 5 years after the layout changed still forcing a second lane on the approach up from Ernesettle.

#12 05-06-09 04:15:29

ExAdiNigel

Newbury has one of these insane layouts.  If I was on my bike turning right I certainly wouldn't follow that cycle lane all the way around the outside of a roundabout - it's just asking to be knocked off.

Nigel

Board footer