You are not logged in.

#1 04-05-09 10:24:47

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

New bike test

Just done a cbt and had couple of hours on 500 will be doing the new 2 part bike test soon will post my experiences when ive had a go.Few more lessons 1st i think tongue

oh dear

04-05-09 10:24:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New bike test

#2 21-05-09 16:06:46

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Swerve and estop easy cant keep my balace save my life on u turn and figure of 8 save my life fed up!

oh dear

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 21-05-09 19:13:12

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Just done a cbt and had couple of hours on 500 will be doing the new 2 part bike test soon will post my experiences when ive had a go.Few more lessons 1st i think tongue

Swerve and estop easy cant keep my balace save my life on u turn and figure of 8 save my life fed up!

We are ensuring trainees are at Module 2 standard before taking Module 1 !! This is ensuring success!

The Module 1 is easy, if you have the correct amount/quality of training!

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#4 08-06-09 16:12:59

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Failed on swerve lol caught cone let go of throttle to soon typical passed everything i was dreading,didnt help had to jump straight on bike at tc someone bricked my car last week hire care only came 20mins b4 test not ideal.Was very stressed ah well.

oh dear

#5 17-06-09 16:30:03

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

49 on swerve sad

oh dear

#6 17-06-09 21:17:33

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Did you get a second go?

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#7 18-06-09 08:38:44

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Yep i did 44 on 1st 49 on second silly boy entirely my fault but i aint giving up!Ill make sure im doing 35mph next time.Rest was clean.  :oops:

oh dear

#8 29-07-09 07:43:23

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi hayzy,

Was it raining when you did your bike test?

Regards,

#9 29-07-09 15:41:19

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

yes it was raining bin busy since having another go in week or 2 was on tc with new instructor on sunday.

oh dear

#10 29-07-09 16:46:18

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi hazy,

You are lucky where you are - in my area - getting practice on a Sunday (or Saturday now there appears to be little O/Time available to DE's) is like finding Gold. On the Isle of Wight they do not even have a TC where the test can be taken - they have to travel across the water to Gosport and take it there, where there were also two crashes on day 1 of the tests in the wet..

Although I do not do M/C training - some of the smaller bikes struggle to get up to 50kph (31.25mph) and personally - along with many other reasonable trainers in my area, they think the speed should be reduced in the wet or the swerve and controlled stop should be separated.

In the dry there appears to be no problems as the surface is very good in the dry. In the wet the bonding agent makes it like a skating rink as it is oil based.

Regards,

#11 30-07-09 08:57:05

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Saw one doing acrobatics on sunday bet he's sore now clipped cone on avoidance then front braked in panic he'd just bin round twice.Regardless of how hard or easy it is the result of a fail should be just that a fail not potentially serious injuries. The test is flawed but i doubt it will be changed till someone gets hurt big time.Dont know of other test centres but know there have been lots at ours most of probably not reported to hide the true figures.

oh dear

#12 30-07-09 09:58:41

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi Hazy,

The HSE chap I have been in consultation with openly admits that whoever the organisation is they seldom report all of incidents/crashes - some companies also have a NEAR MISS policy of reporting, which can give a more accurate figure of what is going on.

Certainly from my figures from the DSA - the one that blew this all open is NOT listed on the feed back I have on spread sheet from the HSE.  I think your comment about hiding figures may have some truth!!

I have very recently (this week) been advised of a chap (Ex Police Officer) who taught his partner - a mature rider - who has fallen from her machine and was left to fend for herself - he was excluded from the site having seen her part company with her machine, on HSE grounds - and as a result she has received medical treatment IN HOSPITAL, as there was NO FACILITY at the TC - and now has a broken ankle.  Not the first I have heard about. One of the BBC regions covered another young lady with a broken ankle - who is considering suing DSA.

As you suggest, it is flawed - the braking distances are for 30MPH -IN THE DRY - the bikes are travelling at 31.25mph (approx). These distances are associated around FOUR WHEELS, not TWO. Yet Stuart HARPER of the DSA freely admits that bikes take longer to stop. In inclement weather conditions the surface becomes more dangerous because it is wet, but also because the compound to bond the constituent parts is OIL based, which is why Local Authorities put up advanced warning signs of slippery surface, something I have mentioned before.

The first Aid Facilities at TC's appear to be inadequate - to HSE assessments not undertaken - that I am aware of - am waiting result of FOI for that and something else related to the test itself.

I fully agree the fail should not mean a serious injury - as I cannot see that every single person involved with taking a test has been poorly prepared? Can You??

#13 30-07-09 10:31:58

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

To be honest i dont mind the stopping distance its accellerating into a hazard i know is there it all seems very cluttered round the swerve area although there is a big difference in trainers and can do it now it still puts people on edge.Bigger distance between the corner and the avoidance hazard would be nice and stop a lot of tumbles.
          To me the only reason the stop is involved is the confines of the area after all a seperate estop manouvre is done on the test.As we all know its here to stay for the forseeable future we'll just have to get it done.Although i have heard of a review in september was just told though unsure wether its true or not. neutral

oh dear

#14 30-07-09 10:56:04

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi Hazy,,

I can assure you it is not a rumour - I have a letter from the DSA CEO - stating that they will review the test and they will need at least 3 months data before anything changes. That in laymans terms is a year as it takes for ever for the wheels to turn. If it changes that will be a U-TURN - forgive the pun - and might be the time some will say we told you so. I hope not as this is not the purpose - it is to ensure the safety of all those who ride this test, they enter on one side and come out the other still in one piece.

Regards,

#15 27-09-09 11:50:30

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

I passed 5 goes at module 1  :oops: 1st time mod 2 with a clean sheet. yikes

oh dear

#16 27-09-09 19:20:52

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Well done, worth it in the end smile

#17 01-10-09 23:31:01

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

Yeh ahh well at least ive learned not too mess about on car parks full of cones.Any suggestions for a first bike had a go on a hornet that was quite nice.

oh dear

#18 21-01-10 19:13:46

Gringo

There's nothing wrong with the part 1 test if the candidate has had decent training. That's the point, many of the casualties are coming about through bad instruction. The new test is a good thing in my opinion, as it's now weeding out the good from the bad.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 07-03-10 21:22:40

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I passed 5 goes at module 1  :oops: 1st time mod 2 with a clean sheet. yikes

Nice one. Well done you!

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#20 15-04-10 15:32:39

Blue Peter

Hi everyone my first post on here.  I have read a lot of forums where people complain about the hazard avoidance and controlled stop being done in the wet.  You may not realise it but the test was designed around a drum braked cg125 doing it in the wet.  So if it is dry it is a bonus!  I have been training candidates for this test since it came in and we have only had 3 fail first go and none of those were for the hazard avoidance.  Some of the tests have been conducted in free standing water, blowing a gale!  The normal braking distances do not apply because you already know that you have to stop swerve then stop and it is not an emergency stop just more of a steady controlled stop.  If you are taught properly you and your instructor will know when you ready.  Too many people have been taking the test self taught or with limited instruction (understanderably to save costs) and this is where the problem lies - not the test.  An area of concern is access to an area where you can pratice the manoeurves safely, not all training schools have an MPTC in the area to practice on and have to try other areas.  There is a question mark over the requirement to come to a controlled stop after the swerve because that was not in the 2nd EU directive but came from the DSA 'gold plating' it.  The house of commons transport select committeee enquiry into the test did criticise this point but felt the DSA had failed (and it has big time) with the amount of money spent and limited number of MPTCs, I have to travel 50 miles to get to one.  Looking forward to more discussion.

Blue

#21 16-04-10 19:12:18

ADI349
Verified Member

I have trained a number of trainees on the Mod 1.  I do not have a problem with the avoidance exercise, in the wet or dry, if the trainee is trainer correctly and more importantly does not panic or look at speedo just prior to going thought the check.  As previously stated, I have a problem in the fact that we are training people to accelerate towards a known hazard on the MMA site then telling them not to out on the road, this to me is sending out conflicting messages.

Steve W
ex :police:

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

Board footer