You are not logged in.

#1 29-04-09 11:36:59

Tracygood

Advice needed

Hi,
I am new to this forum so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I am just after some advice really. . . . . . . .

I took my practical driving test yesterday for the first time. I failed it because I got one serious fault. The fault was for gong through a light which was changing to red. I was aware that I had passed this changing light but I felt that I had already commited to going through them and that it would be more dangerous to stop because there was another car right on my tail. When the examiner told me that I had failed, he explained to my indtructor and me that he didn't use the dual controls to brake for me because the car behind was travelling too closely. To me, that means that I would have also failed if I had braked and caused the car behind to stop sharply and possible go int the back of us. His comments also mean that the car behind came through what must have then been a red light.
I am quite frustrated because I only got 3 minor faults and I feel that it was a no-win situation and a quick decision had to be made.
Does anyone think it is worth appealing? 

29-04-09 11:36:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice needed

#2 29-04-09 11:43:50

VandADI
Administrator

You cannot appeal on the grounds that you disagree with the outcome of the test.
The only grounds for appeal would be if you felt the Examiner's conduct was inappropriate, eg discriminative etc.,
You will need to put this one down to experience and in future anticipate the lights changing by checking mirrors and slowing down so that if the lights do change you could stop safely and under control at the stop line.
Poor anticipation on approach to traffic lights, such as you describe will possibly result in a serious fault, especially as you have stated you passed through on a changing light.  If you had crossed the stop line and then they changed, that is the point of no return.
Learn from this and move on, you did really well to get such few driver faults, better luck next time.  smile

#3 29-04-09 12:01:29

Tracygood

Thank you. I will learn from it and hopefully pass next time (albeit another £100- for the test fee and instuctor's time- out of pocket!)
I suppose I am just tring to make myself feel better!
It makes it worse to know that one of my instructor's other pupils overtook on a blind bend and hit the kerb during her test and still passed. It doesn't seem fair!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 29-04-09 12:05:33

Luchell
Verified Member

PLEASE don't listen to too much hun, all sorts of stories appear here there and everywhere. If it was unsafe to overtake at that time the examiner wouldn't have passed them. Sometimes you have to be there to witness certain faults shall we say. The good old i failed for brushing the kerb then someone tells that person they smacked into one and passed.

I wouldn't read too much into it to be honest. You would be surprised at some of the 'stories' that appear to do the rounds  wink

#5 29-04-09 12:15:37

Tracygood

Its true- you hear all sorts of stories. This happened a few weeks ago though and my instructor was actually sat in the back of the car though so I do believe this one. He could not believe she had passed and feels it makes a complete mockery of the driving test when this sort of thing happens.
Thanks for your advice though x

#6 29-04-09 12:25:55

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Every instructor will occasionally come across a test pass that they consider should have ben a fail.

One issue is that we instructors are sat in the back on test and may not be aware of the surroundings as much as the examiner, as well as not being able to view the drivers anticipation and planning sequences as well as the examiner who is sat beside the driver.

On the specific comments regarding your instructors other client, touching a kerb on test is not an automatic fail, although it is usually marked as a driving fault. The examiner would have taken into consideration potential damage to the car or kerb, as well as the speed travelled and circumstances of the kerb strike occuring.  Likewise, the examiner would have had a much better view on the apporach, during and after the ovetraking incident. Again, a fault MAY have been awarded if the examiner felt the overtake was inappropriate, but the instructors perception of the same incident is being taken from a different seating vantage point.

In my experieince of sitting in lots of tests, examiners tend to err on the side of a pass unless they are totally convinced of a failing of the driver at that time.

In your incident, the examiner would have been expecting you to anticipate the light change and react accordingly on the change to the amber light. He would have delayed any decision to act himself and basing his decision on wether he felt it was now safe to stop due to following traffic, or dangerous to proceed due to activity now on the junction.  If the junction was still clear and the vehicle speed appropiriate to clear the junction safely he would normally permit you to proceed but award a fail for the lack of response to the traffic signals turning to amber.

#7 11-06-09 20:27:31

m0bnd

I know I may be a little too late here, but, I am a PDI in training and learning to 'read' the traffic lights is very important.
I was told that - "red means get ready to go, and green means get ready to stop".  If you can see the lights in front have been green for a while then they will more than likely change to red soon and visa versa, with this in mind, slow down sooner to give you more time to stop before the amber/red light.
Hope this helps and is not too late for you.

Board footer