You are not logged in.

#1 19-04-09 21:06:25

minty.bloggs

white line

Hi everyone,

I've been taking driving lessons now for about four weeks with an instructor, and have just started going out on quiet roads with my dad.

My instructor told me that the white line along the side of the road is just to mark the edge of the carriageway, but my dad insists that it means the road is a clear way.

Please help,I'm really confused, who is right?

19-04-09 21:06:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: white line

#2 19-04-09 21:24:04

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Guess what,your driving instructor knows more about driving than your Dad tongue
Peter
ps advice;almost all the Questions can be answered by checking the relevant section in the highway code.

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 19-04-09 21:33:59

ExAdiNigel

Simply means the edge of a carriageway.  Some counties will break the line up if the is a field entrance and some counties don't.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 19-04-09 21:45:26

adi3122

Yes edge of carraige way a clearway would have the no stopping sign you will see that if you look at the signs in the high way code its good that you are checking though there is no harm in asking if you are unsure.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 20-04-09 09:50:31

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Just a small correction.
A clearway will have a CLEARWAY sign not a NO STOPPING sign.

A CLEARWAY sign is a round sign with a blue background, red border with red crossed lines (like an "X"). It's meaning is no stopping at any time.

A STOP SIGN is a red octagon with white writing saying "STOP", used at some road junctions.

#6 20-04-09 11:37:30

yasmin
Verified Member

When out practising with your dad, you may get a lot of conflicting advice as things have changed over the years. Your ADI is the best person to teach you---- dad just needs to accompany you!

#7 20-04-09 17:47:08

minty.bloggs

Thank you for your help  smile

I did try checking the highway code first, but my dad was so sure, I was worried I may have missed something  :?

Thanks again

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 21-04-09 05:18:00

DampDog
Verified Member

Thank you for your help  smile

I did try checking the highway code first, but my dad was so sure, I was worried I may have missed something  :?

Thanks again

Buy your dad a copy of the Highway code & Know your road signs, ask when was the last time he read one.. smile Plus don't miss an oppotunity to wind your dad up. Tell him you've only been drving 4 weeks and already know more than him... smile smile

Seriously though, well done. If you don't ask you don't learn, good luck..

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

Board footer