You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-04-09 21:20:10

Louisa
Verified Member

Shall i go for it?

Evening all,

Ive been an ADI for 2 years in Sept so have rather good road sense smile  Always been keen on having a bike but never rode one. Now im thinking seriously of doing my cbt and going for it although im shi**in as i ve never riden a bike! Had horses most of my life so my balance is good, im thinking of taking some private bike lessons for a while first then attempting my cbt.  Everyone thinks im mad wanting to ride a bike but i feel being an adi im going to be careful and not go crazy, just want some fun......safely!!

Louisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXGn42tCbc

This is what qualifying as an ADI makes you do!!! smile yes its me smile

www.drivingschoolsloughborough.com

03-04-09 21:20:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Shall i go for it?

#2 03-04-09 21:42:10

freddieb

I think it would be advantageous to you as a ADI to experience the bike side of roadcraft.  Not only will it be great fun riding but you will also experience the vulnerability we have as bike riders.  A lot of candidates we teach, especially car drivers often comment on the fact they didn't realise what it was like and felt it would heighten their awareness of bikes when they were driving their cars.  Never mind what your friends say, go for it.  You've got good balance & co-ordination, you'll be fine for the CBT and doubt you will need extra lessons before..

best of luck... big_smile big_smile

Dont cry because its over, smile because it happened...

#3 03-04-09 22:36:37

Louisa
Verified Member

Thanks freddieb,

Do many people do the cbt without ever riding a bike?? Dont want to look a complete ar*e?

#4 03-04-09 23:09:18

freddieb

You'll find that the vast majority have never ridden a bike before... I wouldn't worry too much about how you look, you're there for a basic days training. You'll learn to ride a bike after the CBT if ya know what I mean. (That's when the extra lessons might come in handy.)

lol

Dont cry because its over, smile because it happened...

#5 04-04-09 20:24:16

Freedom

Hi as a motorcycle instructor and car my answer would be definitely YES 95% of people turning up for a C B T have never ridden before but by the end of their training they love it.  You will definitely enjoy riding and will improve your own driving. Just use a recommended instructor.  PS don't mention you're a A D I.
   Good luck with it Alan

#6 04-04-09 22:03:00

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I took my bike test at the age of 31, having ridden pillion for several years, this was my only previous experience before my CBT, took test, passed; had a lucky escape four years later from a bad 'off ', and have never ridden since, but don't be discouraged by my comments, biking is great & miss it enormously. The thought of getting another goes through my mind frequently. 

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#7 05-04-09 06:53:38

Kev D
Verified Member

YES YES YES go for it!!!!!

I did my CBT then DAS when I was an ADI, although I had a very small amount of experience prior to CBT, there was still much for me to do to pass.  Then the Direct Access Scheme (DAS - pass your test on larger bike so you can ride any size bike afterwards) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One aspect I particularly liked about the course was watching another trainer interact with their students and see what instructional techniques I wanted to pinch. 

It was also extremely refreshing to be the "LEARNER" as it gives you a different perspective on what your learners are going through because no matter how much we ADI's say we remember our driving lessons, the fun bits, the challenging parts etc - how much do we remember accurately?

Don't hesitate, just do it  wink wink wink tongue

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#8 05-04-09 14:26:56

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

I agree go for it.

My mate rode pillion on my bike and loved it so much he did his DAS. He had never ridden a bike before (Apart from a scooter in greece a long time ago) when he turned up but on Friday he took his test and passed.

We have enjoyed going out for ride outs since and he has never looked back. In fact we are both in the process of doing our motorcycle IAM as well at the moment.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#9 06-04-09 19:45:35

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

I did a cbt last year never ridden before, I was 46.
I then bought a 125 and poodled around on that for a few months, did a das and passed with no minors!!! my only clean sheet so far.
Then bought a 600 Bandit what a blast that is after a long day in the car.
As an instructor it has helped me loads.
I know how it feels to be a learner again.

My advice is do it you wont regret it.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#10 06-04-09 20:19:58

hector
Verified Member
Website

Stick to 4 wheels and buy a fast sports car  big_smile big_smile 

Two wheels are just too dangerous when somone does something mad on 4 wheels (Sorry Bikers)

The voice of non biking reason  lol (Especially when prone to sliding down bannisters rather than walkig down stairs)

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 06-04-09 21:49:13

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Stick to 4 wheels and buy a fast sports car  big_smile big_smile

Do admit that bikes are more dangerous how ever as in the car you can reduce the risks by applying roadcraft.

Buying a fast sports car is normally going to cost a lot of money, will need somewhere to store it (Unless you use it every day) and loads to insure. My little yamaha 600 FZ6 fazer cost me under £3k back in 2006, goes like stink (Well could easily loose your licence if you wish) and just takes up a small bit of room in my garage and last year cost me £86 to insure it fully comp. Not bad ehh!

I say go for it girl! Just after you pass your test, at the minimum put yourself on to a bikeSafe course or better still join your local IAM or ROSPA motorbike group and go on to do the advanced.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#12 06-04-09 22:08:30

Louisa
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies smile 

Im going to book it tomorrow, if i dont i ll always wish i had done so.....bring it on smile

#13 07-04-09 16:31:40

Kev D
Verified Member

GOOD LUCK ! ! !

Keep us updated!

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#14 28-04-09 19:47:08

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

So has she booked?

Bet she is still grinning with excitement big_smile big_smile

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

Board footer