You are not logged in.

#1 01-04-09 08:41:05

jackrat
Verified Member

Waiting at traffic lights - neutral or 1st

Hello

I was just wondering if you have to wait in neutral at traffic lights or can you wait in 1st gear. I always get my learners to use the hand brake but can never make my mind up whether they should be in neutral as they do seem quite reluctant to take it out of gear.

Thanks

01-04-09 08:41:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Waiting at traffic lights - neutral or 1st

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-04-09 09:06:11

kjs
Verified Member
Website

It depends on how good they are at moving off. If they have got to the stage where they can do it has fast has an experienced driver, I don't mind either way, but for those that take a bit of time, I prefer them to wait in first gear, clutch just below bite point and with the gas set a little. That way they can be moving reasonably quick, without holding up traffic.
kevin

#3 01-04-09 10:48:55

yasmin
Verified Member

I'm a handbrake/neutral fan if they're likely to be there some time. Otherwise, handbrake/1st.

#4 01-04-09 11:35:39

driverpete
Verified Member

If they're a bit unsure of themselves and near the front of the queue then I get them to stay in gear with the handbrake on. If we're further back than 3rd or 4th then I get them to wait in neutral; there should be plenty of time to get into gear from there. I also encourage them to keep an eye on the lights on the opposing road(s) so they can get some early warning of when the lights might change.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#5 01-04-09 11:37:12

driver69

When I first started I got them to stay in 1st if they are 1st or 2nd car in que.  I still do that in the early stages until they get more used to moving away but then try and get them to think how long they might wait and decide themselves what to do.

I have a pupil who`s Grandfather has told him it is very wrong to sit in gear as it damages the clutch, so now the pupil keeps it in neutral but takes much longer to move off.

#6 01-04-09 13:52:57

oddies
Verified Member

If waiting at traffic lights it is local knowledge whether the said lights are 4 way independent ie each junction moves seperatly, therefore arrival at the lights is dependant on which junction traffic are moving.
Some light systems vary according the time of the day

Either way I keep my pupil in gear ready to go and keep concentrating, moving their eyes all over in anticipation

#7 01-04-09 21:08:28

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Leave it in gear at front of queue, up to pupil further back. Most prefer to just leave it in gear.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#8 02-04-09 08:55:25

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I work on the front 3/4 cars wait in gear also.

It always amazes me how many learners when waiting in traffic queues think they can leave the car in gear and still take their foot of the clutch!!

They turn to look at you in absolute horror and when asked what has happened, haven't got a clue. 
You explain sometimes in great detail, almost going back to a controls lesson and when you stop at the next lights or traffic queue.......

#9 10-04-09 23:52:46

DrivingEducator

Waiting at red lights in first gear is very amateurish, lousy instruction, and unnecessarily stressful for drivers, .....getting cramp in left leg... :?

Best method is to arrive at the lights, hold on footbrake, clutch down, and then look around for clues as to what is happening all around. If no clue that you are about to go in a few seconds, then apply handbrake and gears neutral......Driver relaxes by using their toes to play a musical tune inside the shoes... 8-)

Whilst continually scanning the area for clues as to what is going on and anticipating when lights are to change to green, and selecting first gear in time to make a smooth getaway....It is so, so, elementary !!!! smile smile smile

It's no wonder there are so many rubbish drivers on the road, and why the national pass rate is an abysmal 44%, when learners are taught to poor amateurish standards............ :evil: :evil: :evil:

#10 11-04-09 07:51:37

Disky
Verified Member
Website

now what was that song on the advert,, oh yes...........................

"there could be trouble ahead......... dah dah dah dah.........................................."

LOL

#11 11-04-09 15:33:36

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I saw Driving Educators post this morning before i went to work and wrote a very rude reply,thought about it,decided to delete it.
I have read it again and still think its rubbish.
If you arrive at the lights on Red and you are early or ,particularly,1st,in the line of traffic;then clutch in,1st gear,pause,in case the lights change,then handbrake.We are talking inexperienced drivers here,they need to be ready to move,and leaving the car in neutral can often make them rush the move off,causing a stall.
I have never had a problem with my method.
If further back in the queue,then neutral is fine.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#12 11-04-09 15:54:15

ExAdiNigel

Peter,

Is that what you do? 

What Driving Educator has said certainly isn't rubbish, the content is good it is just phrased in a way to wind some people up.  He often pops in for a little fishing and nearly always gets a bite big_smile

Many junctions/crossings have clues as to when the lights will change.  Sometimes you can see the opposing lights changing to red, at which point you can get ready cos yours are likely to change to green next.

You may not get your pupil to wait in neutral on their early lessons but as they become more proficient why not get them to try waiting in neutral?  Even if they are first in the queue?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#13 11-04-09 16:12:45

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I would always be the 1st fish to get caught  roll,i think it was the wind up bit that got to me.
I dont think we should call other instructors amateurish,lousy or poor without good reason,and none of the previous posts justified those comments!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#14 11-04-09 17:00:18

ExAdiNigel

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#15 11-04-09 19:14:52

starpassdrivingschool

I am sorry but i fail too see any advantage at all of putting the car in neutral how can it possibly do any good other than causing your poor learner an unessercary gear change and possibly delaying the move off utterly point less leave the car in first so the pupil will be ready to move off.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 11-04-09 19:27:03

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

now what was that really bad song on the advert,, oh yes...........................

"there could be trouble ahead......... dah dah dah dah.........................................."

Hey! Wach your cheek. That's Nat King Cole your calling bad. It's a cracker of a song.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#17 11-04-09 19:46:11

digit
Verified Member
Website

Had a work colleague few years back. Been driving automatics for yonks. Got a Manuel car everything fine but always nervous at lights so stayed in 1st. took cramp left leg .... BANG! ..... OOPS!
1st gear for learners for me 1 -3 cars from front, any further back and you may have to call the trainer on to the field!  lol

Donnie ADI.

#18 11-04-09 19:48:21

Aspyre

some lights round my way where any one - and that includes the iams and rospas - putting it in neutral is prob going to be preventing one or more cars getting throuhg out of the three or four who normally make it.. not very popular.

theres no perfect way of waiting at lights.... but learners are also far from perfect so advising them to try and behave as superdrivers when they arent is as bad as always advising them to do the same rigid unthought out thing.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 11-04-09 22:32:36

Disky
Verified Member
Website

now what was that really bad song on the advert,, oh yes...........................

Hey! Wach your cheek. That's Nat King Cole your calling bad. It's a cracker of a song.

he he he,,, edited specially for you Chris smile

#20 23-04-09 21:17:37

adi3122

I would be very greatful if anyone could tell me the advantage of waiting at a traffic light in neutral rather than first gear i cant see one but maybe i am missing the point.

#21 23-04-09 22:26:06

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

then theres the idea of turning off the engine to save fuel(good old ECO :evil:), how many cars back do you need to be to do that?(another thread debate perhaps)  roll

I'm 1st gear if 1st or 2nd in que, any further back its in neutral with pupil scanning for any info that may help, they soon pick up on pedestrian crossing being activated and other lights changing, not had a prob with this so far :angel:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#22 23-04-09 22:53:40

adi3122

Sorry i just do not see any advantage of fuel saving being in neutral rather than first gear you are not using gas or anything i am just looking for any advantage of being in neutral rather than first and i must say i cannot think of any. Only disadvantages e.g possibly pupil miss reading road system and a delay in moving off from the traffic lights. and also in real life driving a passed driver would not know the road system and t/light sequence and then i thinks staying in 1st would be a much better idea than the nerves of being a new driver in a new area taking over due to the fact they are not prepared to move off.

#23 23-04-09 22:58:50

Aspyre

He was joking... he said you could also turn off the engine to save fuel.... i think he agrees with you.

Only advantage i can see to going into neutral is resting your leg.... which is fine if you know it will be a long wait (at a level crossing for example) but which is out weighed by the risk of messing up or causing a delay if it is at front on a normal crossing or lights.

#24 24-04-09 06:32:54

mcculde
Verified Member

If I have a pupil stopped at traffic lights I like to see Handbrake then neutral. Red light means stop. Depending on whether they are on main road or a side road I ask pupil to prepare when they think the lights will change in the near future. Main road lights may change quicker side road may be little longer. Dont think there is a right or wrong technique here. I feel it is up to you as an instructor to guide as appropriate.

#25 24-04-09 07:03:07

yasmin
Verified Member

One advantage of being in neutral may be that the car is safer in the event of a rear end shunt--- foot comes off the clutch and then a stall, then a mild panic on a learner's part---. Just a suggestion of course! I still prefer handbrake/neutral if we are there for a while and I teach the pupil to watch the traffic for clues, prepare 1st in good time etc etc. I also tell them that it is not a hard and fast rule and that there are other,equally acceptable methods.  big_smile

Board footer