You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-03-09 19:34:33

nicnac

Help! I'm sooo scared of driving fast!

Hi everyone,
I know to some this will probably sound silly but it's really getting me down. I passed my driving test nearly 2 years ago now, and i drive every day, but only around town or to local places i know, because i have a huge fear of joining a motorway or fast road. On my lessons i went on dual carriageways with no problems at all, and my instructor advised me NOT to go for pass plus as i was confident at speed, but since i passed, and time has gone by im more nervous than ever! If we go somewhere we dont know or somewere you have to go on an above 50 m.p.h road, i will make my husband drive! The main things im scared of is joining the road, the high speed, and the intensity of what an accident would be at that speed! Please, would anyone have any advice for me? I feel so stupid because every other person i know just does it without even thinking! Thankyou, from Nikki x big_smile

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

THEORY TEST JUNE 05...PASSED 1ST TIME
1ST PRACTICAL TEST 1/12/06...FAILED=1 SERIOUS-4 MINORS
2ND PRACTICAL TEST 14/12/06...FAILED=1 SERIOUS 4 MINORS
3RD PRACTICAL TEST 3/4/07...PASSED!!!!
5 MINORS!

24-03-09 19:34:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help! I'm sooo scared of driving fast!

#2 24-03-09 19:45:45

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Take some refresher lessons, based around national speed limits and lower speed limit slip road junctions.

These junctions are often much safer than almost any other junction type when dealt with correctly.
Mainly because you are joining traffic travelling at same speed as you and going in same direction as you.

A couple of hours with an instructor will soon have you confidently using the motorway network.  smile

#3 24-03-09 20:10:59

ExAdiNigel

Where are you based NicNac?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 26-03-09 19:48:11

nicnac

Thanks Kevin for your advice, maybe i should just book up a few lessons, but i wasnt sure if you could do that after a certain period of time due to insurance's etc.. but if you can, i think it will be a good idea, as i want to drive the kids to places in the holidays etc.. I think my main worry is other drivers on there, as since ive been on the road, i have seen some right idiots!!! I totally understand now when people used to say to me, now you have passed your test, this is where you really learn!! I have a fast A road near me, so i might give it a shot one night on my own when the roads are quiet. I appreciate the advice very much, and it is reassuring to know emerging onto a motorway is safer than most junctions, because i handle junctions everyday with no probs!!!!

Hi Nigel, I am based down is Essex, (the place with lots of nutty boy racers that scare the hell out of me!)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

THEORY TEST JUNE 05...PASSED 1ST TIME
1ST PRACTICAL TEST 1/12/06...FAILED=1 SERIOUS-4 MINORS
2ND PRACTICAL TEST 14/12/06...FAILED=1 SERIOUS 4 MINORS
3RD PRACTICAL TEST 3/4/07...PASSED!!!!
5 MINORS!

#5 28-10-09 17:26:07

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

You should always feel comfortable doing the speed you are doing, based on

A  How much you can see or CAN'T see .....See more = faster  See less = Slower!

B Hazards, and likelyhood of problems occuring, e.g. junctions with other drivers emerging.

If you haven't been taught limit points, you need to understand this, what I have found is most who do not like going quicker don't get up to speed in time - therefore having to start to slow for the next hazard before getting to a reasonable speed.

Look further ahead and get some training from an advanced ADI

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Board footer