You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-03-09 10:50:07

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Part 3 Training - TIC.

Hi all,

I'd be interested to know the thoughts on the following. I passed my Part 2 last week, so immediately rang TIC to let them know the news. Then I contacted the call centre to arrange suitable dates for my Part 3 training.
Thinking I would be simply booking my first few sessions, I was astonished to learn that the full 40 hours syllabus is covered in one week, Monday to Friday. The first two days in classroom followed by three days in the car, after which you attend one further day a fortnight or so later (I assume to consolidate learning).
Having been I member of this forum and subscribing to Blaine Walsh's videos for a while now, to say I'm concerned is an understatement. I'm supplementing the college training by teaching a family friend, studying Blaine Walsh's videos, and am on the lookout for a buddy.

Am I overeacting here?    neutral

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

10-03-09 10:50:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Training - TIC.

#2 10-03-09 11:43:07

evanadi

Hi Eddlad,

No your concerns are justified. Your 40 hours training will be 2-1 in the car. This will be punctuated with an hour dinner break and probably a break in the morning and one in the afternoon.

You will finish the week with approximately 15 hours actual 1-1 training, which will leave you short on what is required to pass a part 3.

I would suggest you pm hector on this forum and get his views on how many hours you actually need, he will give you the facts about the part 3 not the fiction.

Continue with the Blaine videos and whatever you do make no attempt to book a part 3 until you are good and ready, a week in the car will not be enough. Ev

#3 10-03-09 14:44:42

Doc
Verified Member
Website

It sounds like it is geared towards getting you onto a trainee licence (no doubt with a certain driving school) rather than sitting your test, as there is very little chance of you learning -let alone retaining- all the information in one week and no time to put in any practical experience on a private basis to help consolodate your knowledge.

#4 10-03-09 18:22:15

Aspyre

before you over react eddlad just remember that people *do* pass with tic and without taking additonal training.

people dont like tic but that does nt automatically mean they are doing anything wrong compared with other schools people might be currently trainign with.

Be careful not to over react as a result of the general dislike that exists for tic. You knew that dislike existed when you signed up I guess.. What you need is advice and not people teling you who you should have trained with.

#5 10-03-09 20:00:47

evanadi

Just to put the record straight I trained with TIC, and I had good trainers. However, I did a lot more practice using a training buddy and also an independent trainer after the weeks in car training.

You really need more than a weeks Part 3 training to pass the part 3, you also need time after the weeks training to digest and work out your lesson plans etc, and that will need to be done whoever you train with. To be honest I don't think you can have too much training for part 3. Ev

#6 10-03-09 20:11:06

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I've got to agree with Aspyre in respect to eddlad needing advice and any help he can get to make sure he is one of tic's success stories.

eddlad, you will have your work cut out for you but if you can nail the intro's and briefings at home and go out as often as you can and watch other people driving and spot the faults and work out why they happened and how it should be done. Continue developing your own commentry drive as this can only help with your talk throughs and above all keep posing those questions (even if it's 3am) and try to gleen the best advice from what is on offer.

Best of luck to you and i'm sure many here will lend a hand in one way or another.

#7 10-03-09 20:38:40

samds
Verified Member
Website

My advice would be not to listen to the negative stuff, go do the course and get the most from it as you can.  Keep using the Blaine stuff, register on the Smart Driving Website and check out Lynne Barrie.

Most of all work hard learning your new trade, it's not all on a plate for you.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#8 10-03-09 21:59:06

Luchell
Verified Member

Please can I remind you that if you have nothing constructive to say to not bother. Any further posts that are not constructive will be removed.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 769.0.html

I should add that this is NOT aimed at any particular members, it is purely a reminder to try and keep this forum a welcoming and informative site. We work hard behind the scenes to keep the forum running smoothly and sadly bickering has put off people from putting their thoughts down in fear or ridicule of any sort. Please try to help us stay on track  smile

#9 10-03-09 22:00:17

karen75

Hi Eddlad

I also done trainin with TIC and thankfully passed.  The 40 hours intensive is tough your head will be buzzing throughout that week but lookin back I enjoyed it!  Would I go back through TIC if I knew then what I know now? Not so sure on that one!  Personally tho I did have some good trainers who made it as enjoyable as poss and I preferred the 2 pupils to 1 trainer situation, sounds awful but it was nice to see someone else makin an arse of the breifings etc so i knew I wasnt only one struggling and nice to compare notes etc,  Keep up with the Blaine Walsh vids tho thats what I did and not so sure I would have passed without them like!
Karen

#10 10-03-09 22:42:16

supps
Verified Member

I agree with Karen. I also trained with TIC and had nothing but praise for my trainer. Yes it's tough and after the week your head is spinning so you then need to go off, sit down and think carefully about what you have learnt. The role play was exactly the same as the Part 3 and, at least sitting in the back you could think without being under the pressure of being in the front seat and having to control the trainer.

I went on a pink with BSM and tried to keep the structure in place for all lessons, reminding myself constantly about ICROMPS so that it became natural . Not sure I could have passed Part 3 without going on a pink but that was just my own preference. At least when the SE made errors i expected them because either my trainer had made them or pupils had and so it wasn't a surprise,

#11 10-03-09 22:52:17

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I trained with TIC and thoroughly enjoyed it,passed part1 and2 1st time,and 3,2nd time.
Was on a pink with a local driving school[still there 7 years later]
No grumbles from me.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#12 10-03-09 23:00:05

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The format for TIC's part 3 training is clearly discussed on the induction day as part of the OHD presentation.

It is also clearly explained in the intro book included in the Welcome pack as well as in the Part 3's module book.

I agree, their advertising may be considered as misleading when they claim training is around your job, as clearly not everyone works nightshift and you'd need to take a week - week and half off work to attend the part 3 training course.

When I did it, I beleive it was Wednesday to Wednesday, and the courses were run once a month.

#13 10-03-09 23:05:54

Aspyre

Please lets not forget the OP cant change being with tic without losing a lot of money and he needs help from where he is now going forward *with tic*. smile

#14 10-03-09 23:08:59

Luchell
Verified Member

I trained with Bsm and they did the part three course as two days a week for three weeks for the 40 hours. One day in class the next out on the road. Not fantastic BUT i loved every minute of it although i was totally exhausted after it. What is good for one may not suit everyone, that's why i went through the course schedule with my trainers. I wanted to know how it was going to be structured BEFORE I paid up  lol

I was happy and excited to do it the way it's suggested as for me personally it worked  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 10-03-09 23:28:18

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

to say I'm concerned is an understatement.

What are your concerns?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#16 11-03-09 09:51:07

hector
Verified Member
Website

From another perspective and this isnt slagging off the competition, just facts, so dont even go there, A Certain training companies training is not good, (there no companies names mentioned) the whole set up delivery, everything is totally flawed, its not the trainers fault, some are very good, (Never met one of the very good ones yet) But ive heard about them.

Anyone who says this companies training is good needs something to compare it with  wink

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#17 11-03-09 12:57:11

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my OP.

I want to make clear at this stage that so far, I've been very happy with both my training and trainers, I have no grumbles. It's also encouraging to hear from other PDIs/ADIs who trained through TIC.

I'd like to add also that I passed my Part 2 with only around 5-6 hours of official in car training and a hell of a lot of private practice!

My concerns are two fold. 1) The sheer amount of information to digest in such a short period of time, I assumed wrongly that the forty hours would be segmented over, say, a couple of months. 2) Reading back through previous threads, the general concensus amongst ex TIC students is that after completion of the Part 3 training, a candidate is not ready to take their Part 3 as they're not up to the required standard.

After completing the forty hours training, my plan will be to take this information away, digest it and then put it into practice by means of buddying and teaching learners. I do not intend to apply for a trainee licence, a personal and circumstancial choice, so obviously I can't and won't take any form of payment whatsoever for teaching others. I have both a copy of The Driving Instructors Manual and Practical Skills for Driving Instructors, which I intend to read, then re-read, then re-read again. In addition to this, Blaine Walsh's ADI videos are excellent, and forums like this one are an Aladin's cave of information.

My forty hours training runs from 23rd - 27th March, so I will let you all know how I get on.  smile

#18 11-03-09 19:50:19

evanadi

Hi edladd,

if you do everything the way you have explained it in the above post you should be fine. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 11-03-09 21:21:08

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

My concerns are two fold. 1) The sheer amount of information to digest in such a short period of time, I assumed wrongly that the forty hours would be segmented over, say, a couple of months. 2) Reading back through previous threads, the general concensus amongst ex TIC students is that after completion of the Part 3 training, a candidate is not ready to take their Part 3 as they're not up to the required standard.

Well you certainly seem to have your head screwed on the right way. Makes a change to have somebody on the forum who doesn't throw their toys out of the pram when people (like Ev and doc) are giving solid advise. One of the things you may come to realise is there are no negative answers, just negative perceptions (people see negatives because they want to). You seem to have a positive outlook and that will certainly stand you in good stead with your part 3 training.

40 hours over a week is, as you rightly say, a lot of information to take in. It's not an ideal learning environment (though it can work for some) and it does take time to understand all that information.  Much of what you will be learning needs a practical aspect to understand and implement the theoretical side. Having a few people to teach for free is an excellent idea. Quite often the learning value of going on a pink is overshadowed by the financial aspects of doing so (though it does have it's merits if used as it's intended to be). Your understanding that there is more to learn than you will be taught in your 40 hours is also a good sign.

I can only echo Ev's sentiments above, sounds like you'll do fine.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#20 12-03-09 11:51:47

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

All,

Your absolutely correct, I'm under no illusions and will glean as much as I can from the 40 hours, then convert the theoretical into practical to further enhance my skills. I'll not be rushed into my first attempt at Part 3, my personal circumstances will allow this - I'm in a secure a job as I could be given the current economic climate. Everyone who has taken the time to respond to any of my posts have always given me sound, professional advice, and I thankyou all very much for this.  smile

#21 28-03-09 18:22:30

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Hi all,

Well I completed my 40 hours yesterday with TIC. Its been a tough old week, 2 days in the classroom followed by 3 days in the car. A very steep learning curve, but to be fair to the trainers,they were spot on and I actually enjoyed it  smile. I feel I have an understanding of what is required to succeed but realise I need lots of practise on the road with my buddy and learners and also plenty more study.
Just so others are aware, TIC actually provide 60 hours Part 3 training, I've just completed my 40, I'm back in for a day in April for them to assess my progress, then after that I get an additional 20 hours. This 20 hours is available to PDI's intending to go on a Pink and others (like me) who do not.

#22 29-03-09 14:13:23

scannermanh
Verified Member

Eddlad
I think you are not just restricted to 60hrs, under the agreement, you keep
going untill you pass, even if that means you go round again and again.
I found Pt3 difficult and just kept rebooking sessions untill I passed at my
third attempt, which took about 14 months after passing Pt2, can't remember
how many hours it took but was many more than 60, may have been double
that. :oops: big_smile

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#23 29-03-09 20:02:29

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Eddlad
I think you are not just restricted to 60hrs, under the agreement, you keep
going untill you pass, even if that means you go round again and again.
I found Pt3 difficult and just kept rebooking sessions untill I passed at my
third attempt, which took about 14 months after passing Pt2, can't remember
how many hours it took but was many more than 60, may have been double
that. :oops: big_smile

Thanks scanner, just checked my documentation and spotted that  big_smile

#24 29-03-09 23:15:37

FAZ

hi,if you are near manchester we could buddy up,please let me know,i am on pink and to be honest i am alot better now finding the faults then when i did the forty hours,instructing a new driver is not easy but it makes you work harder thinking haha y this or that happened,with a trainer i used to spot the faults but to correct them was hard as i knew ok he is a experienced driver hence my word woulndt come out,with the learners now i cant stop the words,and coz you are with them and they looking at you and asking you y this n that happened,you spot the faults coming,eg.coasting round the corners,so now i pre empt the learners.i havent gone for a test as yet ,will do soon when i am 100%confident.i want a 6/6 in 1st shot.hopefully fingers crossed.faz

#25 29-03-09 23:53:12

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

hi,if you are near manchester we could buddy up,please let me know,i am on pink and to be honest i am alot better now finding the faults then when i did the forty hours,instructing a new driver is not easy but it makes you work harder thinking haha y this or that happened,with a trainer i used to spot the faults but to correct them was hard as i knew ok he is a experienced driver hence my word woulndt come out,with the learners now i cant stop the words,and coz you are with them and they looking at you and asking you y this n that happened,you spot the faults coming,eg.coasting round the corners,so now i pre empt the learners.i havent gone for a test as yet ,will do soon when i am 100%confident.i want a 6/6 in 1st shot.hopefully fingers crossed.faz

Hi Faz,

Unfortunately I'm about 200 miles north in Tyne and Wear but thanks for the offer. I've already agreed to buddy up with another PDI who is on his Part 3 training as well. Good luck with the rest of your training and Part 3 test.  big_smile

Board footer