You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-03-09 13:10:36

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Speed Limits to be cut?

http://news.aol.co.uk/proposal-to-cut-n … 0209990001

By the looks of the votes already cast, even if NSL is reduced on rual roads....most wouldnt stick to them...no change there then!

08-03-09 13:10:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Speed Limits to be cut?

#2 08-03-09 14:05:45

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Personally,i think it will only encourage more overtaking;on a road i use for alot of my pups,the speed limit has been reduced to 40mph from n/s/l[at the safest overtaking stretch].Much more overtaking happening now,people will generally drive at the speed they percieve to be safe.
Reducing the speed limit for no apparent reason,is a waste of time.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 12-03-09 03:26:50

Aspyre

I turned on to a 40mph rural road from a 30 today and a taxi went by.. i swear he was doing 90+ and i am not exagerating.. its a new 40mph zone due to accidents too.

#4 14-03-09 20:38:30

Makem Drive
Verified Member

Just as bad as the one who exceed the 60 limit are the ones who drive at 40-45 (even when 60 is OK) but don't alter their speed when they enter a 30 limit. An ex. policeman (friend of mine) explains it as it is the speed they feel comfortable driving at so will do that speed regardless.

#5 18-03-09 23:41:32

mrbrightside
Verified Member

This raises 3 points for me:
1. If road deaths on rural roads were cut, even to 0, would this actually put a huge dent in the overall amount of road deaths in the UK. Suppose this isn't all that important because cutting any road deaths is obviously welcomed!
2. People who currently speed on rural roads will always speed on rural roads. It will only slow down the law abiding drivers and encourage the "speeders" to overtake more.
3. How will this be enforced? Answer: It won't. There will be lots of brand new shiny signs and electronic boards flying up that are no doubt very expensive.... but the government will essentially be trusting the public to slow down to the new 50mph limit!

Personally I think rather than spending thousands and thousand on new signs, they should be more money and manpower put into road repairs!!!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#6 19-03-09 08:06:02

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Apparently they are trying to lower some speed limits around here where I live and teach. If it takes has long to sort this out has it dose most anything else the council get involved with, I'll be retired before it happens [ I'm 25..................... I wish . lol

kjs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 19-03-09 10:17:24

ExAdiNigel

This raises 3 points for me:
1. If road deaths on rural roads were cut, even to 0, would this actually put a huge dent in the overall amount of road deaths in the UK.

Considering around 50% of the ksi's are on country roads, it would make a huge difference.

Suppose this isn't all that important because cutting any road deaths is obviously welcomed!

absolutely

2. People who currently speed on rural roads will always speed on rural roads. It will only slow down the law abiding drivers and encourage the "speeders" to overtake more.

I would suggest that the current speeders, as you say, will continue - perhaps more safely because the cars being overtaken will be travelling slower.  The A420 between Swindon & Oxford used to be 60mph but was reduced to 50 for most of it.  Before the drop there were often nasty accidents on the road and the drive was fairly frustrating because of slower moving traffic and the lack of opportunities to overtake.  Once the limit was dropped the accidents reduced and teh drive was more relaxed.

3. How will this be enforced? Answer: It won't. There will be lots of brand new shiny signs and electronic boards flying up that are no doubt very expensive.... but the government will essentially be trusting the public to slow down to the new 50mph limit!

Personally I think rather than spending thousands and thousand on new signs, they should be more money and manpower put into road repairs!!!

Ahh!  But if the roads are in good repair, wouldn't that encourage drivers to drive faster?

Personally I don't believe a blanket change to the nsl would be beneficial.  Targeting particular roads may help though.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 19-03-09 10:37:51

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Good points there Nigel.

I agree with targeting particular roads. I don't even disagree with reducing the NSL on rural roads, but I don't want the Government doing things just to make it look like they're doing something! I want them to do things that will actually have a positive impact. Maybe this will, and if it does then fair play!

With regards to road repair, that was off topic really, and just me having a little rant. I wasn't referring to country roads (although im sure some could be in a better state). It's just that more and more recently I've noticed some pretty big pot holes creeping up in residential areas that I am having to drive around. I know it can't always be helped that they appear, but there seems to be a lot more than usual in my area at the moment!

#9 19-03-09 22:51:11

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Over the next year or two,in Newcastle, they are reducing the speed limit to 20mph on most residential streets.The traffic orders are in place,consultations done and they have started to introduce them now.
This will be fun[not]
mrbrightside,have you had alot of snow/ice in your area?;loads of potholes afterwards[snowploughs].
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#10 19-03-09 23:22:47

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Potholes after the winter tend to have 1 of 2 main causes, which sometimes combine to exaccerbate the situation.
Water getting into cracks in the road surface freezes and thus expands enlarging the crack allowing more water to enter the crack.
Cars and trucks passing over this area forces the water further into the crack forcing more of the aggregate out and finally developing a hole.
Snow ploughs don't generally dig up the surface because they are set an inch or so above the surface and most have a roller wheel at the bottom corners to keep the blade off the surface, the only obvious problem could be a snow hidden traffic hump but they don't generally appear on the types of roads that are cleared by snowploughs.

#11 20-03-09 09:25:57

mrbrightside
Verified Member

We have had more snow/ice than usual so I suppose that explains it. The councils got some work on their hands to try and repair them now though!

We don't have enough snow for snow ploughs though, not seen one of them in donkeys years! smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 21-03-09 23:30:35

kjs
Verified Member
Website

We don't have enough snow for snow ploughs though, not seen one of them in donkeys years! smile

Believe it or not, I've actually seen 2 this week, one had its yellow lights on as if spreading. Never saw 1 when we had the snow though, but then our council was and is always behind time.

kevin

Board footer