You are not logged in.

#26 04-06-09 07:17:31

may
Verified Member

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

I've forgot to put my roofbox on,
I've taken a pupil to the wrong house,
I've turned up on the wrong day,
I've got lost and ended up a dead end,
I've told pupils to go straight ahead at the roundabout when its been a t-junction, turn left at the traffic lights when its a roundabout and turn right at the roundabout when its traffic lights and turn left at the roundalight!

04-06-09 07:17:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#27 04-06-09 10:17:50

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Don't do an ES with a loose can of Coke in the back....... let you imagine the result..... sad :x

Way back in former employment, I drove a small van in central London...... went to McD's and got a nice choccy milkshake which I stood on top of the dashboard.
You can probably guess what happened next!!

All over the windscreen, roof lining and just about everywhere else!!

#28 04-06-09 19:50:28

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
My Brother[god rest his soul],had a big tin of emulsion on the passenger seat.He drove like a maniac and stopped too quickly outside his house.
5 litres in the floorwell.Rushed into house leaving door open;his cocker spaniel rushed out and;you guessed;jumped straight into car,then back out and straight through into the sitting room.
Funniest thing i ever saw :evil:
Peter
ps.his wife didn't see the funny side :x

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#29 19-06-09 22:32:38

hugh0003

second test 17 years ago. asked by bsm manager to cover as instructor was ill.i rushed to pupils house. as it was short notice and i was running late . i doubled parked. picked up pupil,checked licence.pupil got in car .i could not . i suggested pupil move forward as i was not able to enter car .Yes the car rolled back down the hill . And all i could see was the end off a short 2 day job as a driving instructor. THAT BUCKED ME UP. made me realise not all test Candide's can drive.   :evil:

#30 19-06-09 22:48:12

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I had no sense of direction when I first started this job, so when I told my pupil to turn left at the roundabout they kindly complied and we unwittingly entered the 'goods entrance' for the local hospital. The security guard kindly let us in so we could turn around and come back out.

My other embarrassing lesson was during my time on a pink licence. A 1 hour lesson went horribly wrong when after 45 minutes I became totally lost. I bluffed a lot as I daren't admit I was lost and confidently spouted directions whilst inwardly freaking out because I had no idea where we were going. Ended up in Leicester, managed to pick up signs back to Nottingham and returned 1 hour late. Didn't charge him for a 2 hour lesson.

Since then I have actually learnt my way around Nottingham.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#31 18-08-09 17:46:37

Luchell
Verified Member

Oh dear   roll Time for one of mine again. If anyone can top the embarrassment of this one feel free to put it here won't you?  lol lol

Whilst driving a pupil home from her driving test I took my usual shortcut to the pupils Village which is in the middle of the Salisbury Plain.

I've frequently driven the route i took. Anyhow, nice stream of cars behind us, I'm up to the national speed limit where its a nice open road but very few places to pull in to get off the main road should you need to. Very rural. Anyhow all was great, pupil had passed so we were happily chatting away. We were first in the que of traffic. Then it happened. With an almighty BANGGGGGGGGGG coming from what seemed to me something hitting my headboard. Made us jump, i looked to see other traffics reaction but there wasn't one. Perhaps they didn't witness what had happened for some reason.

We continued where there was still no where to pull in, there it was again BANGGGGGGGGG. Good lord I'm thinking, there's clearly something wrong with these birds that must be smacking into us!! 2 in a row??!! Oh dear, by this point I am beginning to wonder what the hell was going on and how much damage had those hurrendous banging birds done! (   lol lol) They must have a death wish!! Im now looking even more for somewhere i can stop and find out what a mess we were in. Then would you believe it, it happened AGAIN!! Someone been feeding these birds rat poison??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I checked to see no reaction again from the stream of quite close traffic.

Finally a pull in, what a relief!! The stream of cars continued constantly once we moved off the road so we had an audience so to speak. As i went to open my door another almighty THUD!!!!!! When will this end!! I was a nervous wreck now so i made the pupil get out with me (im a chicken lol)

Just when i truely believed the ordeal thank goodness was finally over there was one last BANGGGGGGGGGG, oh good lord, what on earth's going on?? That sure as hell wasn't a pigeon hurtling into our stationary car. At that point we both ducked looking as white as some bed linen thats new, with an audience watching us ducking desperately from whatever this awful unknown phenomanon could possibly be!!!!!!!!!! At that moment we finally clicked.

It was the army shooting guns extremely nearby!!!!! Oh the shame!!!!!! I've lived on salisbury plain most of my life and in that time i have NEVER experienced that level noise from them, loud YES, but this was sounding so loud and close it seemed to be coming from where my headboard was !!!!!!!! What a total and utter prat I looked, however the pupil and I couldn't get going again where we were rolling round in hysterics when we realised how dumb we looked and how dumb we were to think it was poisoned pigeons!  lol lol   Yes I'm dumb and rather gullible but by the time we decided it must be a bird of some sort the likelyhood of being hit that many times by then stumped us!!   roll lol

Army? Yes!! Suicidal Pigeon(S) errrrr no   roll  roll

#32 18-08-09 20:45:17

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Yeah I've forgoton to put the roofbox on, yeah I've got my times mixed up and turned up at the wrong house at the wrong time, and yeah, I've got lost and gone the wrong way or given the wrong directions BUT!  The biggest every whoopsy/you shuda kept ya mouth shut moment was from my pupil, not me..... 

17 year old lad, had about 12 hours with me.  Slowly building his confidence, getting him to do stuff for himself, without prompting from me.  I pick him up for a 2 hour lesson, and it's 9am.  Quick recap on the last lesson, discuss what we're going to do today, and away we go.  Leave his street, compulsory left turn, closed junction so it's a complete stop anyways, and I tell him we're going ahead at the lights.  It's slightly busy but he's driven from his house before so he's used to it.  He stops, waits till it's clear, moves out and straight into the middle lane so we can go ahead at the lights, all without help from me. Lights go to red, he checks his mirror and gently breaks to a smother stop than I expect, so he gets acknowledgement / complement from me on a smooth stop.  We're the 1st car so he goes 1st gear, handbreak, bite, keeps his left hand on the handbreak, and he's watching the repeater light and mirror checks like a good student...... I'm very impressed, but I want him to do it all on his own.  We're both quiet.  And then it happens.... he turns to me and says "Phil, I'd love to watch you f**k my girlfriend" !!!!!!!  no warning, nothing, he just hits me with it.  Try that for your first lesson of the day!  There was a couple of seconds pause while i tried to work out if he really did say it, then he realised what he'd said and went redder than the light that was stopping us.  I launched into the most detailed talkthrough of absolutely everything I could think of for the next 1 hour and 50 min's, never giving either of us a second to think about it.

What do you say to that?

.phil.
smile

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#33 18-08-09 21:44:24

Luchell
Verified Member

yikes Blooming heck!!!!!! So once he realised what he had said did he actually mean it when it 'slipped out' so to speak  lol lol

#34 18-08-09 21:54:01

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I didnt ask, and it nevr came up again... so to speak   tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue

.phil.
smile

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#35 20-08-09 00:13:33

la.monikita
Verified Member

Funny Phil...I would have asked him to explain  :evil:  BTW do you get them to sit with bite on at lights?

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#36 20-08-09 09:22:37

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

We were the 1st car, and he was fairly new, so yeah, he had the bite. 

I know there is lots of debate about the 'correct' method of doing this.  What I do works for me.  I find newish pupils see the lights change, panic and rush to get the bite and stall, but if they allready have the bite they are OK.  Once they get more confident/control I change what they do, usually letting them decide if they get the bite, or go to neutral, or go into 1st gear but keep the clutch all the way down, and obviously that depends upon how far back from the stop line we are, how much we can see ahead, what we allready know about how long the lights have been on red, and what we allready know about the timing of particular lights  - where I give lessons there are some lights and the pupils know it's their turn after the cars on their right have gone, so they use that as a guide.

.phil.

#37 20-08-09 10:21:29

Ttomttom

yikes yikes yikes I would have had to ask him, "and would you be giving me instruction while I do it, or would you prefer commentary?"  lol lol lol

#38 20-08-09 10:37:36

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Well if I had of gone through with it, it would of been a new subject to me.  Once he'd introduced it he could of done a recap and asked me about my previous experience, which he could then relate to the new subject, and after a few prompts I'm sure I could very quickly get to an independant level, even on my first go  tongue tongue

See, the DSA system works for everything  tongue

.phil.

#39 20-08-09 11:41:31

driver69

would you start with safety precautions then cockpit drill? or would you start with crotch control?

#40 20-08-09 12:18:53

Luchell
Verified Member

yikes lol tongue

#41 20-08-09 14:19:27

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

i think I'd leave the cockpit drill... also I am fairly familiar with the main controls  tongue tongue so I guess we'd go straight to pulling off  tongue tongue tongue tongue

oh this could start a whole new thread with driving instructor innuendos

.phil.

#42 20-08-09 15:21:06

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

That is so funny smile

I don't know how you can still teach him after that tho lol

Evon x

#43 20-08-09 17:51:35

driver69

Should you mention what to do in the event of being rear ended  big_smile

Sorry could not resist another.

#44 22-08-09 19:20:04

Luchell
Verified Member

Talking of which, somehow i frequently manage to make a comment which as soon as it left my mouth left me thinking 'uh oh' if i keep a straight face hoping the pupil won't think too hard and work out what it may have sounded like!

Today I had to kick myself to stop laughing at an answer my pupil gave to one of my mock theory test papers i was marking and going through whatever was needed still study wise. We got to a question regarding Arm signals. Asking her to choose which one was used for turning left. Four options are given, one for slowing down, turning right, turning left then a decoy answer showing a drivers hand on the roof of the car, laying flat to the roof.

Well bless her she had chosen that one of all of them  lol I hadn't laughed just yet, I asked her why she was confident it was that one, she simply replied 'Well its the most commonly one used isnt it? People are often resting their arm like that on the roof before turning left'  yikes lol 

I then decided that if i were to show her what the one she had chosen would look like in real life hoping she would twig and think oops. Nope, I showed her and she said 'Yep that's the one' do you use that one to? '

I shouldn't have laughed but i was rolling round helpless!! Thank god she joined in and knew i wasn't making fun of her, just the way she had justified her choice afterwards  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#45 04-09-09 21:33:33

pat19799

I did the L plate thing with one of my first pupils, so when I remembered I just got her to pull over and said I think since it is dark I will stick the "other" plates on as well, so she didn`t know.  That`s why I now always have them on the windows so I can not forget.

On the windows?

Part 1 - 1/9/9 - Failed
Part 1 - 3/9/9 - Passed
Part 2 - 9/10/9 - Passed
Part 3 - ?

#46 04-09-09 21:52:09

driver69

Cling on type on the front and back window

#47 04-09-09 21:53:07

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

You really had to be there and hear it for this one......  An hour before test, a pupil stalled at a junction, but didn't realize he had stalled.  There was nobody about, we weren't holding anybody up, and he's doing test in an hour, so he should know, and I want him to figure it out (im surprised he didn't realize anyways, he should have done!), so I'm saying nothing.  He tried to press the gas pedal a little, then more, then more, then all the way to the floor.  Obviously nothing happens.  He turns to me and says in an unintentionally sounding neanderthal voice "P-h-i-l....c-a-r...n-o-t  g-o".  He doesn't normally talk like that, and it did look funny him trying to pres the gas to get him going, a bit Homer Simpsonish, but I was being very good and not laughing.  I was about to give him a hint about stalling when he realized how he must of looked and sounded, and he got the giggles.  And then I started and couldn't stop.  I couldn't even begin to correct him, we were just sat there in hysterics.  Another car came behind and I had to start the car and move us round the corner and park as he was uncontrollably laughing. 

Anyways for the rest of the drive, every 5min one of us would start laughing again and set the other one off.

He did his test and passed with 2 minors.  At the end, as always, I asked the examiner if he had any feedback for me.  He said "That's the most bizarre test I've ever done, he kept smirking and laughing all the way through.  I asked him what was so funny and he wouldn't tell me"

i just said "well, it makes a nice change from nerves, doesn't it"

.phil.

:angel:

#48 06-09-09 15:44:29

ECPC
Verified Member
Website

Been teaching this young lad for a few weeks now and it's really obvious that when driving he's out of his comfort zone. He gets very nervous, very down on himself if he makes the slightest mistake and very frustrated if he repeats the mistake. Even with encouragement and coaching he has been making very slow progress.

On his lesson this week, we were driving through a quiet residential area, refreshing approaches to junctions and I am leaving him to some independent practice. As he starts to move away from a closed junction he stalls. Instead of the usual tirade of self directed verbal abuse, he just started crying with laughter. I asked him what was so funny and he pointed to a Squirrel sat on the grass verge to our left.
"It's all his fault," he said, " I was just watching him sat there on the side of the road playing with his nuts!"
When we both stopped laughing he went on to complete the most relaxed, confident and safe drive to date. Laughter really is the cure all!

#49 11-09-09 20:35:40

paulaball
Verified Member

it worse go up a dead end when your pupil has never been taught the TITR
Every single ADI has at some point in the early days inadvertently taken a pupil up a cul-de-sac and then pretended they were going to do a TIR there anyway   

#50 12-09-09 11:43:28

Luchell
Verified Member

Yep, the worst by far was how tight the blasted road was I directed the pupil up!! Took us about 100 gos back and forwards to get the car turned around with me attempting to blag it saying what wonderful steering experience this was to be   roll lol  I had to do the pedals the pupil was on lesson 2 i think! DOH   roll

Board footer