You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-03-09 20:12:23

Luchell
Verified Member

Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

Following on from the locked thread below, I thought it was about time we share our most awkward teaching moments, our daft moments and things that have taken us by surprise when teaching. Whose brave enough to join me by putting up our adventures amd muppet moments over the years! Adis and Pdis stories warmly welcomed!!

For our newer members it might just help some realise that once apon a time we weren't always so good  lol lol tongue tongue

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 769.0.html

07-03-09 20:12:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

#2 08-03-09 14:45:34

VandADI
Administrator

Re: Those were the days................ Yep we've all been there!! Oopsy moments!

I had a classic oopsy moment when I first started out as a PDI with BSM. in the first week... :oops:
I thought my pupil would benefit from a bay park session up at the test centre, happily reversing in and out of bays.  What I did not realize was the fact it was around the time tests were due back and I got caught up in the return tests.  Anyway, someone reported me to the Office Manager and I got a phone call later that day - I got such a rollocking for even being anywhere near there during test times.  How was I to know, I hadn't even been in the test centre to read the notice signs and no one at the office warned me  neutral  :oops:
Another incident occurred and this was as I just took delivery of the car from BSM, I went to check out the roads in the area I would be teaching in as I was not familiar with them.  I pulled up and stopped in a nice quiet road to get my A-Z out to work out where I would go next when I got a knock on the window and was met with a very, very angry resident shouting at me "I'm fed up with you lot practicing your manoeuvres in my road!" I told him there was no one in the car but me and I was looking at my map, but he wasn't having any of it.  He said he was going to report me for being parked up in his road, which he did! I was parked up in a "private road"   roll  :oops:

#3 08-03-09 16:07:53

Luchell
Verified Member

lol lol

Here goes!

Off my pupil and I happily trot to play dual carriageways. I was a few weeks into my pink and had no idea just what I was in for with some faults! My pupil manages to shove the gear into 1st by mistake when she was after 3rd and I was totally oblivious, that is until we went from about 40 to 5 miles per hour in o.o1 seconds  yikes yikes  Needless to say it rarely happened after as I became more and more aware of some of the potential things my pupils would get up to! I would have kept a large packet of pampers in the boot if I had known some of the fun I was going to have learning the ropes of being a Driving Instructor!

Another happened on 'Car swap' day in my early days with BSM. I changed cars and merrily drove off to get to my pupil due to test that day. I happily tootled along the dual carriageway enjoying the very first time I had used a brand new car. About ten minutes in on my return journey a van behind flashed his lights and kept doing it, I thought I would pull over to see what was going on as It did seem they wanted my particular attention.

The van pulled in behind and I got out to speak to the chap who was pleasent enough. He asked me if I had noticed a problem with smoke coming from the back of the car. I told him yes I was well aware, thing is It's new I told him, I thought there might be a little smoke. He looked rather puzzled then replied with 'No love, it's not coming from your exhaust, its bellowing out the back wheel  yikes yikes

Oh the shame   roll

#4 09-03-09 10:30:38

Spike
Verified Member

Every single ADI has at some point in the early days inadvertently taken a pupil up a cul-de-sac and then pretended they were going to do a TIR there anyway   big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-03-09 10:47:32

driver69

Every single ADI has at some point in the early days inadvertently taken a pupil up a cul-de-sac and then pretended they were going to do a TIR there anyway   big_smile

Guilty  big_smile big_smile

Seems Luchell and VandADI are the only ones who have had daft moments or at least the only ones willing to admit them  smile

#6 09-03-09 12:12:40

Luchell
Verified Member

I'm sure those brave enough will appear out of the wood work at some point  lol Sometimes it's not such a bad thing to admit that we are indeed only human  lol

I have indeed been the victim of the 'marvellous I've taken them down a dead end' moment  lol It got easier over time to hide the fact that actually I directed them the wrong way   roll lol 20 shunts later across a tiny road with me having to do the pedals I tried to convince the pupil what a wonderful place i had chosen to improve their steering skills! I think they actually believed me  lol

#7 09-03-09 16:08:37

Madhatter
Verified Member

Ok...So...here's my classic and I really hope I'm not the only one!
Picked up student at 7am ready for her 8.30 test, she lives about half an hour away from the TC so we're on the way (I am a new Father so I'm more asleep than awake). We'd gone about half way when I luckily realised my mistake.
Me - "Ok. Could you please find somewhere on the left to pull over in a safe legal and convenient place."
Student - "why?"
Me - "I think it's probably best if I stick some 'L' plates up..."

I was so embarrassed that I didn't make a big deal about it but I was so angry with myself. Student on the other hand - not bothered at all!!

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

#8 09-03-09 16:28:42

Aspyre

I still do that L plate thing sometimes even now.. forgeting to put the box on is quite easy.

I always say "better put the box on just so we can be seen properly"

#9 09-03-09 16:34:16

driver69

I did the L plate thing with one of my first pupils, so when I remembered I just got her to pull over and said I think since it is dark I will stick the "other" plates on as well, so she didn`t know.  That`s why I now always have them on the windows so I can not forget.

#10 09-03-09 19:23:02

johnp
Verified Member

Well it is interesting that both of mine which came to mind have been mentioned so we are not alone.

Dark country road with truck right up my ****
(A350 Luchell near Iwerne Minster)
Lad changes into 1st gear instead of 5th.
I can see that truck in my nightmares in my mirror.

I soon learnt what a D/c clutch was for.

Driving along merrily observing her mistakes when I decided to put my hand out of window and feel around on the roof.
No box `and no L plates.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#11 09-03-09 23:02:46

Luchell
Verified Member

lol lol

Following a very long day teaching I got my last pupil in the car, great stuff, nearly home time (Mind wanders a weeny bit) Pupil get themselves ready and off we go. A few seconds later my cars beeping away because my pupil had forgotten to belt up. I then said to her 'Oops, anything you've forgotten?'  Pupils reply???????// Yeah you haven't put your seatbelt on yet  yikes lol

Oh dear, thankfully my pupil saw the funny side and off we went.

#12 13-04-09 21:53:23

starpassdrivingschool

My embarrasing moment was about three weeks after starting with bsm on pink had to pick a pupil up from office and drop her off at theory test centre we had about 8 hours of lessons and it was going well felt i was doing o.k as a pdi so i dropped her off at theory centre and said i will pick you up late after thory test wishe her good luck so i thought i would go and jetwash car while i was waiting keen to keep it clean and promote the company name cause i was new anyway left the theory centre and got alot of weird looks and stuff thought nothing of it turned out i was going down a one way street the wrong way when a builder guy stopped me and informed in a rather rude way i kind of took it the wrong way annoyed with myself and wheel spinned off the other way felt so stupid but i retain to this day there was no sign saying it was one way but it still haunts me in my deepest nightmare p.s i learnt alot from that lol.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 13-04-09 22:30:49

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Hi Johnp,

Driving along merrily observing her mistakes when I decided to put my hand out of window and feel around on the roof. No box `and no L plates.

Well it would have knocked them off, wouldn't it.  big_smile big_smile

Glad to see that the medics managed to stitch it back on for you  wink wink

#14 14-04-09 15:49:25

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Arrived early for a part 2 training session.

Went through the Mc D's drive through and couldn't work out why everything was on the left.......

Had the embarrassment of reversing back out and everyone watching from inside the resaturant.

#15 18-04-09 01:56:07

FAZ

oh well,this is dangerous of me,i purposely left my door slightly open in a quiet road to test my pupil on the cockpit drill,she done everything but didnt check the doors,then she was ready to move off,i 4got to hold the door and wat happens as soon as she moved off the door flew wide open,wow she stopped and she said hey why did you open the door,i told her ok did you make sure the doors were closed,the look i got wasnt very funny,but that taught me a lesson not to do it again but that girl now she will make sure doors are closed and will confirm with me as well,this realy wasnt just a lesson for the learner but also the pdi(me)loooooooooooool

#16 25-05-09 14:07:15

Jill D
Website

How stupid embarrased and upset did I feel yikes  My Oopsy was with the SE... omg!  You know that part 3 feeling... I came out of the test centre with the SE, all was fine, until she looked at the out of date tax disk!!!!! I'd forgotton to change it, so my tax was now out of date.  My head had been wrapped up in everything part 3 at the time; no excuse I know.  Me all apologetic, I hadn't got enough words shamed and disgraced :cry:  I laugh about it now.  But I'm sure my SE will remember that one.  She was very kind!   But learned me a valued lesson.  If you want things doing, do it yourself and don't leave it to my hubby. big_smile
That was game over for me, no valid tax, no test!

#17 25-05-09 15:20:28

oldcodger
Verified Member

My favourite moment was about 8 years ago in Streatham, London. I was early so I stopped to get a pint of milk from the corner shop. I am very aware of traffic wardens in that area so I squeezed up tight against a car that was parked a bit far back in the next to last parking space. I only just cleared the line behind me. Anyway, I was chatting in the shop for five minutes but when I came out I was furious to see that dispite my effort my car was being lifted up on to a truck by a very uninterested man. The traffic warden was nearby and she was giggling, which made my blood boil. I approached her and asked her what was so funny? She said the look on my face had made her day. I was absolutely fuming. Anyway, it was then that the penny dropped. It wasn't my car. It was the one I had parked behind. They had parked so badly they were partially into my space which is why I had to squeeze in. I hadn't noticed at the time that it was the exact same colour, although it was a Fiesta and mine was a Corsa.

The traffic warden was amused because she saw me park and as soon as I came out of the shop she was in stitches because she saw my error immediately.

How blonde did I feel? 

#18 25-05-09 15:34:48

Jill D
Website

I need to stop using this phase, as every time I've used it recently, I've realised I am speaking to a blonde. derrr  big_smile

#19 25-05-09 20:21:34

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I got a couple, both involving the roof box;

1  Did a days tuition with the plastic wrapper of a sanitary towel stuck to the back of my roof sign. lol

2  Overnight the box is keep in the utility room on top of two plastic boxes in which we keep the recycling until it is transfered to the outside council boxes; When I removed the roof box from car, I found the lid of a tin can on the bottom of one of the roof box magnets,  roll thank goodness for roof film.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#20 03-06-09 19:46:48

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

One more..

If your client puts anything on the backseat of your car pay attention to what they have put there.

Don't do an ES with a loose can of Coke in the back....... let you imagine the result..... sad :x

#21 03-06-09 20:40:44

c-way
Verified Member
Website

[quote
Don't do an ES with a loose can of Coke in the back....... let you imagine the result..... sad :x

It could've been worse - could have been a pint of milk  big_smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#22 03-06-09 20:51:56

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Embarrassed to admit this:
Filled up with oil last week,after 1st lesson next morning,new pupil,engine management light was on,have a test next[b@ll@cks].
Car is driving ok:cant see light from passenger seat,so tell test pupil,DONT mention the light.
Do bonnet check at test centre,NO cap on oil reservoir!,oil all over one side of engine.What a t!t.
Tell pupil i will pay if EX spots the problem[find cap resting in the engine].Pupil goes out and EX doesnt ask to open bonnet[result]
Comes back and passes.
I am an incompetent idiot.
Peter :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#23 03-06-09 22:07:09

FAZ

ANY1 FORGOT L PLATES OR ROOF SIGN.god pup asks me at the end of lesson today how come we never had no l plates today,oh s--t now i realise,had to make a reason and tell him oh so u did realise,thats a good boy ,good observations,like @?#*,what an idiot pdi dattttttttttts me

#24 04-06-09 06:38:42

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

[quote

It could've been worse - could have been a pint of milk  big_smile

Eventually you get used to the smell of sour milk [if your Dad's a milkman that is] he once had the biggest omlette in the world in the boot of his Mk5 Cortina, when he made an ES.

Ps he's 85 today, happy birthday Dad.

#25 04-06-09 06:43:06

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I do this all the time now, I am bored of the same old streets so I am venturing into bits of estate I have avoided in the past. Its good practice for the pupil anyway, real life driving lmao!

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Board footer