You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-02-09 20:30:51

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Is it possible just to take ROSPA advanced test without observed runs

Hi,

I am currently training for my part 2 adi test but am very keen to do my ROSPA advanced as well. My trainer (ORDIT registered and fleet Grade 6) said he could get me up to standard for the ROSPA test and that I could just pay to take the test?

Is this correct and would the test fee include membership as well? Or do I need to join a local ROSPA group?

Any information on this would be greatfully received.

Many Thanks

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

22-02-09 20:30:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is it possible just to take ROSPA advanced test without observed runs

#2 22-02-09 20:57:49

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
You don't need to join a local group and the intial fee does include the RoADAR membership fee, just as the annual renewal covers the 3yr retest fees.

Personally, I didn't even do any training before my first Gold.

#3 22-02-09 21:07:28

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Fantastic. Just what I wanted to know.

Thanks for your help  smile

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#4 22-02-09 21:20:36

ExAdiNigel

It will probably work out more expensive to pay a trainer to bring you up to standard than it will to take the observed runs.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 22-02-09 21:29:01

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Nigel for the advice, but since I am already paying for my part 2 of my ADI training my trainer felt he could bring me up to the same standard to do the ROSPA at the same time.

The advantage for me is time as otherwise I will be doing a 2 hour lession every weekend and also having to go of and do my ROSPA training (Any that may upset my wife a little  8-) ) thus I am looking at just trying for the test.

Thanks for all the advice though.

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#6 22-02-09 21:41:40

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Is Rospa a higher standard to part 2?

#7 22-02-09 21:46:36

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well I believe they are different. ROSPA like the IAM is more based on the Police 'RoadCraft' handbook where as Part 2 is based on DSA Essential driving skills book.

I did think of doing the DIA-MOND advanced driving test but I think that is very similar to Part2 plus I like the fact to keep your ROSPA grade you need to be retested ever 3 years for silver and Gold grade and I think yearly for Bronze.

I suppose I could go for the DIA-MOND Special test (GULP) not sure if I am ready for that!!

Best wishes

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#8 23-02-09 00:16:38

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Why would you want to confuse matters more than it is at present,,, just concentrate on your part 2, then when successful, do the others.

As stated above, ROSPA does Roadcraft, DSA do Essential Skills, both are very different.

#9 23-02-09 07:58:56

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

This is what I wondered, however my instructor did his the day before his part 2 and feels the training for the 2 exams are not really that different. If you are up to an advanced driving standard then ROSPA should be achievable to

I will give the test ago when I am nr the end of my part 2 training and see what grade I get. If I don't get a grade then I will simply wait untill part 2 is done and then do some observed drives with ROSPA.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#10 23-02-09 08:11:21

The Saint
Verified Member

Hi

I like your thinking jlo. There shouldn't really be a problem, but I can see you getting the systems confused on the lead up to two tests within days of each other, that's if I read your posts correctly. On your RoSPA test, you can be asked detailed questions about the system and I wouldn't want you to get confused. As to the actual driving on display I'd be hard pushed to decide, as a tutor, what system you were using, Roadcraft or DSA, but that's a whole new area suited to another post!!

There's no doubt that a Gold is harder to achieve that a Part Two test, but concentrate on the important one first.

Good luck

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#11 23-02-09 08:14:54

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks. Yep I think you have a point and I will seperate the tests when I am ready to take them. Will report back anyhow on how I get on.

Onward with the learning!!

Best wishes

Jlo

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#12 23-02-09 17:53:35

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I passed my initial RoSPA test at gold grade, when it came to my initial part 2, I drove the exact same way I did for my initial RoSPA test including full commentary, I still picked up a few faults, but passed easily enough.

after the test and result, the examiner did say he had never had a commentary drive before and that he fully enjoyed it, but never mentioned any difference in the drives required.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 24-02-09 00:32:37

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

The basic elements of all the "advanced tests" are not that disimilar. The agreed definition between the various groups is;

"Advanced Driving is the ability to control the position and speed of the vehicle safely, systematically and smoothly, using road and traffic conditions to make reasonable progress unobtrusively, with skill and responsibility. This skill requires a positive but courteous attitude and a high standard of driving competence based on concentration, effective all round observation, anticipation and planning. This must be co-ordinated with good handling skills. The vehicle will always be in the right place on the road at the right time, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged and can always be stopped safely in the distance that can be seen to be clear."

They all agree on following the rules laid out in the highway code as well. Most of the differences stem from different interpretations of the rules.

If your up to ADI pt2 standard then I would expect you can get at least RoSPA bronze with no problem, probably silver. A reasonable understanding and application of the subtle differences between roadcraft and essential skills is all you'd need. Little things like pull/push not push/pull make a difference on RoSPA, whereas on pt2 it doesn't matter which you use. How you handle the controls is more important on RoSPA than on pt2. If you want gold then you will need more "polish" than is required for part2.

If your trainer is offering to show you all this at the same time as doing your pt2 training, and you can appreciate the differences, then personally I see no problem in combining the two.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#14 24-02-09 21:25:24

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks all for the great advice.

Best wishes

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#15 16-05-09 15:52:47

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well I took my RoSPA test today and was awarded a 'Silver' grade.

Was a little disappointed not to get a Gold but still received excellent feedback from the examiner.

I was close to Gold grade but lacked some progress on the motorway, slowed down a bit early for a 50 limit on some roadworks on the motorway and he would have liked a bit more progress on a small B road.

Test lasted hour and half of solid driving with 15 mins of comentry (5mins motorway, 5 mins country, 5 mins town) and 15 mins feedback and RoadCraft and highway code questions.

I did full cockpit drill, static brake test, told I was going to do moving break test and forgot 'doh' although he said that did not effect my grade.

After feedback I was told very good, safe drive. Liked my blind spot checks, kept to all speed limits, positioning, correct gearing (apart from one brake and overlap gearchange which I should have not done), Commentry OK, obs excellent. Told that on 2 occasions my right arm came over to 11am to turn right which I did not realise I was doing. He said these were very minor faults and the main reason was he wanted a little more progress.

So there you have it. I enjoyed the test and found the feedback valuable from the examiner (Police class 1 holder) and while I am pleased with silver am a little disappointed not to get Gold! Next time eh!

Silver
This grade will be awarded to drivers who are well above the average. These drivers will produce consistently safe and systematic drives but perhaps without the final polish, flair and smoothness of the Gold driver. They will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the system of car control. Candidates must be able to drive up to the permitted speed limit where it is safe to do so but vary speed according to circumstances and conditions. It must be emphasised that Silver is an extremely high grade and a commendable achievement.

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#16 17-05-09 05:34:15

Gizmotime
Administrator

Congratulations, Silver is nothing to be sad about, it's a great result hun be proud of yourself, you have worked hard and got a great result. wink Well done. big_smile

Giz

#17 17-05-09 12:24:12

jay666
Website

Wow well done!! Silver is really good.

#18 17-05-09 20:46:15

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thats very kind of you both.

I think I will join a local group and see if a rospa tutor can take me out for a few runs before I retake the next test in 3 years. I may have another crack at it before hand but now the focus really needs to be on my part 3. Would love to aim for a gold though!

It was a good experience though and great to get feedback from a class 1 holder.

Best wishes

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#19 17-05-09 20:50:06

pegasus
Verified Member

hi
The 3yr test is free, it is covered by your renewing your membership each year.
If you want to do another one earlier, or a different category of vehicle, you will have to pay the normal test fee again.

#20 17-05-09 20:56:05

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that. That is what I understood. I know I will be doing at 3 years however once I qualify as an ADI I may have another shot at it and see if I can get gold but this time will take up some observed runs. (This time I just did the test on the back of my Part 2 pass however my Ordit trainer is Grade 6 and has fleet diploma and I have found excellent and I did Study roadcraft, Chris Gilbert commentry dvd etc)

Best wishes

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#21 17-05-09 21:22:18

The Saint
Verified Member

Congratulations on your test result. A Silver is a very high standard of driving, but I understand your frustration at not getting the Gold.

If you let me know your location I might be able to help with some observed drives. PM me if you wish.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#22 17-05-09 21:36:16

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations on your test result. A Silver is a very high standard of driving, but I understand your frustration at not getting the Gold.

If you let me know your location I might be able to help with some observed drives. PM me if you wish.

Thanks. PM sent.

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#23 26-02-10 17:23:30

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Just an update. I decided to take my training a little further and did there dioloma course last week and just heard that I have passed!

Was a fantastic course, learnt loads and would highly recommend it.

I did join my local RoSPA group and did an assessed run and one training observed run before attending so I could make sure I was as close to GOLD standard as I could be before I attended. Ended up scoring 90% on the drive and 85% on the instruction so not perfect but was quite happy with achieving that.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#24 26-02-10 23:03:56

The Saint
Verified Member

Brilliant..Well done.

The Diploma Course is a great experience.

You can now be an advanced tutor with you local group.

#25 26-02-10 23:13:13

Lynne
Verified Member

Did you do the Dip in Birmingham Jlo?  How many on the course?  Who was your trainer?

Oh soo many questions.   Well done anyway...I felt my brain had fuzzed to a frazzle by the Friday but yes great course and don't regret for one minute that I did it although it was expensive doing it, B & B and a week off work.

Board footer