You are not logged in.

#1 06-01-09 12:26:02

krismcmillan
Verified Member

Part 3

Afternoong

I have had 18 hours of training so far, and still finding it to do briefings and do the full talk throughs when my instructor is in the beignner role.  I was wondering if anybody was finding part 3 hard and does it get any easier. 

Any advice or help would be greatfully appreciate.

Part One: Passed 21/06/08
Part Two: Passed 9/10/08
Part Three: Failed 26/05/09

06-01-09 12:26:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3

#2 06-01-09 17:18:44

rooster
Verified Member

Recently passed myself, see ADI forum. big_smile

Yes it was a difficult thing to get your head around, and some of the other PDI's I trained with had a great difficulty in getting the words out!

Me, I was different!  I kept on rabbiting - and often about the wrong things at the wrong time! With practice that improved, and the main point was to fully absorb the role play!!  You have to know in your mind that your trainer, or the Examiner is a PUPIL! Then pitch your talking at their level of instruction, and keep it relevant to the lesson subject.  I tried never to allow a 'silence' to linger; find something relevant to the lesson to question/speak about.

Try practising with your passenger as you do a commentary drive, it'll get you used to speaking about the matters you are scanning and planning for! OR, talk to yourself, it won't get you arrested - just a few funny looks when sat in traffic! :police:

#3 06-01-09 19:25:39

scannermanh
Verified Member

I bought myself a digital voice recorder, and set it up in the car.
Its amazing how different you really sound, helps you see where you are weak.
Used it when I started to teach so I could review my lessons.
Take the role play seriously, the examiners do, and they
expect you to, so if you go for it, they will play the game.
Read all the old posts on the forum about pt3, the information you
need to pass is there.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 06-01-09 23:07:27

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

What are you finding difficult?

Remember, in beginner role assume they know NOTHING! What you say goes so be VERY careful you say things very precisely so there are exact parameters to work in for example:

Emerging left, road position. Rather than say "Follow the kerb round keeping close" - what is close? 1metre? 2metres? If you then say keep one metre from the kerb "how much is one metre?"
Make sure you have a reference for everything i.e. is there a part of the windscreen / wiper / dashboard where the kerb should be in line with so they are 1m from the kerb without having to think how far 1m is....

Go through EVERY PST step by step with a fine tooth comb, make bullet points of the essential things you must say and then slightly pad it out so it sounds a bit more human than just a robot reeling off alist.

The voice recorded is an excellent idea. Record yourself then sit in the drivers seat and follow what you say - does it make sense?

I think all ADI's will admit that their part 3 briefings and what they use for real learners are quite different in that you have much more time to run through things and real pupils don't do everything right after 3 goes! All the information is there, just presented in a more user friendly way.

The key is in the name 'brief'ing. Don't waffle, get all the info in there, bang, bang, bang, know it backwards and don't hesitate. You shouldn't really need to refer to your notes by the time you take Part 3 it should be engrained in your brain. I had all my notes but didn't look at them once during my one (and only!) attempt at part 3.

For example, how would you boil a kettle of water and make a cup of tea? Write a step by step list of what you'd do and post it here.... You'd be surpised what you'll miss out

#5 07-01-09 00:34:01

scannermanh
Verified Member

Was lucky enough to have a one to one with
a very senior examiner as I was the only one to
turn up at a seminar/meeting arranged for PDIs.
He told me that you can have a weak brief and
strong Core Comps but not the other way round.
That doesn't mean you don't have to work on your
briefs but in his words 'its really about your core comps'
whatever you tell them in the brief, (as long as its not wrong)
they want you to spot their mistakes and put em right.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Board footer