You are not logged in.

#1 01-01-09 11:29:57

mon
Verified Member
Website

Steering

Hi,everyone,Happy New Year..
Just a question to start the new year,You may steer with one hand when straight reversing if this helps,I have read this countless times but last week on training for L reverse I noticed my trainer holding the wheel with one hand as we went into the junction(1 and half turns on).Well i thought it was a fault thrown in to catch me.When I pointed it out he said,Its ok to hold the wheel with one hand once you have actually finished the act of steering and got the turns on required to take you round with the kerb. I'm sure he is correct(he's the 1 with green badge)

Any further advice would be welcome...
mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

01-01-09 11:29:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Steering

#2 01-01-09 12:31:28

rooster
Verified Member

"Its ok to hold the wheel with one hand once you have actually finished the act of steering and got the turns on required to take you round with the kerb."

I believe that keeping the wheel locked in position with one hand, whilst in reverse, to continue either straight, or to continue with the curved path set by the position of the wheel, is a feat that only an advanced and confident learner driver can accomplish. Better to teach to travel slowly and use both hands for control.

#3 01-01-09 13:44:58

scannermanh
Verified Member

As I couldnt hold the wheel with both hands and look
through the rear window at the same time (old and overweight)
Had to find out for my Pt2, was told as long as you are not turning
the wheel, one hand is OK, also you can hold it with right hand at
12oclock, left hand at 6, this I found much easier.
Be careful your pupils don't start one hand holding in normal driving.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 01-01-09 18:56:58

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Your confusing faults with techniques.

Techniques which some use and others don't, are not faults.

At the end of the day, so long as control is not compromised, you can steer anyway you want.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#5 01-01-09 20:06:50

Madhatter
Verified Member

Hi.
(As I'm sure you will have been told millions of times before!) The idea of the Part 3 is for you to be treating your instructor, and ultimately the SE as you would a pupil. I have, and would always, pick up my pupils on this, unless I felt that there was a genuine reason for them to do it. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I guess the answer might be to ask them why they are doing it, do they understand the rule (to make sure they won't do it in general driving) and have they weighed up the risks and the benefits.

Something I struggled with on my Pt 3 was seeing the instructor as a pupil (something I got used to PDQ!) but you've at least learned that if you're in doubt then you should mention it, otherwise they'll assume you missed it!

Tim

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

Board footer