You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-12-08 23:41:30

rooster
Verified Member

Part 3 tomorrow(30th) Say a prayer Please! 5/5 Write Up - Hoorah!

Here we go again - 2nd attempt at Part 3. Going into Guildford TC and I'm ready ! (I think!) (I hope!)
I've read a lot of tips and traumas on these pages. I've received some excellent advice from them generally and sometimes specifically. A bit like 'Wikipedia', there are some good bits and some suspiciously inaccurate bits, but all good reading!
These together with the best efforts of TIC in Southampton and their trainers, a lot of home study, and a good deal of practice with live, (freebie - I haven't gone Pink!) pupils have brought me to this point. (I've spent today talking to myself giving briefings and answering my own questions!)
I feel I know what I must do to convince the SE that I can teach!  I'm going in there with the intention of being a good teacher, giving a good briefing and objectives with a clear plan; keeping control - identifying/analysing and rectifying faults, (that I should anticipate from the PST checklists!), by using the appropriate level of instruction, employing incisive Q/A when appropriate or clear guidance if necessary, and all the while remaining a nice and cuddly person that the pupil (SE), will feel comfortable and confident with, feeling that they have received a professional level of instruction!

Easy!   (I think not!)  After almost three years in the process, I hate to contemplate my reaction if I do fail and have to pin my hopes on a last and final 3rd attempt!  What more can one do?   
I'm going to go in there with a positive attitude - letting the SE know from the start that I am capable and professional,
and with a little quiet confidence, (not showing the fact that my insides will be doing tornado impressions and that if I was to try to drink a coffee I would probably shake it into a froth!)

Well - here goes!

*************************************************************************************************
Well I got it!  A 5/5 too,    I'm, so, so, very, chuffed!       big_smile    Thanks for the good wishes - they do help! 

PST 4.  #1 Partly Trained - Reversing (Left)
           Word Picture was that he had had a couple of lessons and that his next was due to be a reverse manoeuvre.
Straight into role after I gave myself a moment or two to plan my lesson. (I resisted his first attempt to hurry me) So as part of my briefing I questioned what problems he had had so far, and he had to tell me he was a bit jumpy on starting off, had stalled a couple of times. So I then resolved that we would sort out 'bite point' and coordination of controls before we went onto the road. As a quite amenable and willing learner, this pupil only took a couple of goes to get the bite point fully conquered. Lots of praise! I referred to the PST check list to anticipate what other faults he would display with relation to the lesson, and thus ensured that I questioned his understanding of use of mirrors and effective observation. He then again tried to get us moving off, but a glance at my watch showed that we hadn't yet gone 5 mins. into lesson, so I ensured that he did a full cockpit drill and checks before moving. I didn't put my belt on, (deliberately), and got him to acknowledge he should check his passengers and he acknowledged his responsibility for their safety. Out of TC and first steering was 'shuffling' and left turn was wide. Managed to get immediate agreement that this was unsatisfactory and how to rectify it, promising to check and practice as we continued to drive. At next turn, (with a gentle prompt or two) I praised his improved steering style, and road position, but noted that his handbrake release was too early. I chastised him a little, ( because we had only moments before done a good takeaway - but kept it jolly!). Next takeaway was a gradient and the repeated fault caused a little 'rollback'. Time to pull over and chat this through with some emphasis! We gained immediate agreement with consequences of his actions and he knew the remedy. No more faults on drive to site.
Wherever he had to steer, or clutch he did it well, and I stressed his quick learning and good control.  (What it turns out that I wasn't doing very well was also checking my rear view before watching him, RAMP. and I didn't do that enough during the upcoming manoeuvres either- I was perhaps too intent in watching the pupil, even though I did manage to pull him up on inadequate observation to the front whilst reversing.) Pupil hadn't reversed around a corner at all, and only once in a straight line, so a full talk through and stressed it would be slow, stopping frequently and maybe restarting the whole thing etc etc. and gave him the objective that we will achieve the desired result with a positive approach; he seemed to respond with enthusiasm. No preset reference points, but explaining that we will establish them as we go through the stages, referring to illustrations to show which kerb lines to look for. Stressing most of all - effective observation and why, and then asking him what might the consequences be of INadequate observations. No resistance or misunderstanding there; as I say he was an amenable pupil!  First attempt was good control, with plenty of prompts for observations, slow speed, but his steering was too slow and a little late, so a restart. Talk through that aspect, stressing 'big sweeps of the wheel' and establishing his turn point reference to maintain position for accuracy. Second attempt was successful so plenty of praise and reinforcement of how we achieved it. The site junction had developed quite a bit of traffic so we had a few restarts to allow other vehicles to pass! (This is perhaps where I should always have seen the approaching traffic myself and asked for pupil to restart, rather than on occasions, the SE took the initiative!!!!) Quick glance at the watch and almost 1/2 hour gone. I summarised his achievements, mentioned he should continue practice to perfect and develop, and suggested that his usual instructor would be pleased with his progress. (The SE even smiled!)

#2 Trained - T-Junctions - Emerging.
Word picture was that test booked for two weeks time, but on last lesson his instructor had noted that his 'MSM' went out of the window towards the end, and I didn't judge approaching traffic speeds too well, "I was a little tired and maybe my concentration lapsed?" "OK then", I used illustrations as I questioned him, just to verify he knew about open/closed, cree'n'peep, and how to judge whether it's safe to emerge, (brisk walking pace to cross). He seemed to have all the right answers off pat, so I guessed that he might [play the part of getting worse as things went on - they did, ( a little!). Again I checked with the PST list to see what other faults I should expect him to display, and pretty quickly he obliged me with a bit of coasting. Satisfactory remedy on the move whilst he introduced some poor positioning. Now here I was, talking about one fault whist another came about. I could see the hole opening up in front of me - so I pulled him over, explaining that we had a couple of things to discuss, and I needed some peace and quiet to do it in! (another little smile here!) There were a couple of repeats on poor positioning but I began to prompt him with Q/A on approach, and that did the trick. I was still chatting with him about the importance and consequences of poor positioning as we approached next left turn emerge, and I had to quickly command him to wait, as he had inadequate time to emerge due to approaching traffic! We dealt with this aspect quickly whilst on the move, and lo & behold, we approaching the TC. I quickly summarised again, praising his progress, outlining the negatives, and suggesting further practice before test, but if still an occasional lapse, to consider that a postponement might be i order. At that point we were now stationary in the TC and the exam was over!

So I missed a 6/6 by not making proper all-round observations to verify the pupils' checks during the reverse, and at the end of #2, I should have prompted the approaching speeds response with a question instead of chatting about a matter we had already resolved. After all, he had given me a big clue in the word picture, but this was the only approaching speed situation that presented itself - and I was drivvling on about an irrelevancy!)

He was a nice chap, and calmed me down before he left me for a few minutes. I had cause I thought to think that I may just have scraped in with a pass.(I couldn't recall a major blunder?) So I was checking the PST's and Core Comp's check list and trying to recall what we'd done. A circular walk with a fag and then here he was, asking how I thought I'd done, so I showed him the list I'd made!! (Another smile). He didn't keep me in suspense too long, (I think he saw the suicidal thoughts developing on my face!) and said I'd passed! He finished up with a short pleasant chat, and that was that - a 'phone call to the Missus with the news (I am now an A.D.I.  woo-hoo !!!)

Overall, I think I talked a lot, mainly about the relevant matters. I kept a lesson structure and objectives in mind, and I checked the PST to prompt me to watch for specific faults and keep me focused! I bore in mind to praise where praise is due, but to firmly control the lesson and gain agreement where there was a fault. I managed to finish the two lessons with a bit of a summary. I don't think I gave the SE any big holes in my briefings to exploit, and I had a pretty good sense of timing.
   *****  BUT THE OVERRIDING THOUGHT I KEPT WAS - THAT THIS IS A REAL LESSON - DO IT WELL AND DO IT THOROUGHLY" ***

I've found others' write ups to be a great read and useful to imagine myself in those situations, so I hope this does the same for someone out there!

29-12-08 23:41:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 tomorrow(30th) Say a prayer Please! 5/5 Write Up - Hoorah!

#2 29-12-08 23:51:53

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Good luck rooster,, nail that sucker to the wall,, remember, keep it simple and don't go to deep.

and remember CORE COMPS

#3 30-12-08 07:32:06

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Treat him like you would a real pupil smile

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#4 30-12-08 09:39:41

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Good luck rooster!! Took mine there, keep  everything crossed for u!  big_smile

#5 30-12-08 10:38:10

sipin
Verified Member

Best of luck Rooster, your practice should pay off.

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#6 30-12-08 14:05:23

Luchell
Verified Member

Good luck for today! Let us know how it goes. When i took mine i went to use my pen to point at something on my colourfile presenter only to realise in horror my hand was shaking like never before!! At that point i looked at him laughed and said hum lets try again without the pen  lol Once i pushed my finger onto the page it stopped shaking, problem solved  lol

#7 30-12-08 18:26:59

sipin
Verified Member

What a brilliant start to the New Year for you ! so Well done Rooster what an achievement I am sure you will get a lot more congratulations when the others realise you have edited this post with your result.

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#8 30-12-08 18:53:08

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Well done! Great Feeling Eh big_smile

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#9 30-12-08 19:53:19

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Congrats,
A nice right up and a mighty fine result. Well done, you smile

#10 30-12-08 20:35:59

scannermanh
Verified Member

Well done, your role play skill sounded very good.
Now that you have attained the skills to pass, did
you find the test easier than than you had thought
previously?

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#11 30-12-08 21:56:23

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Well Done  big_smile Great end to the year!

#12 30-12-08 22:11:17

mani
Verified Member

Congratulations. An excellent right up, very helpful for us pdi"s. Thank you. All the best for the futurer ADI.

#13 30-12-08 22:57:19

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

the Rooster played a Roaster tongue.

Nice one, well done, and........ a very good write up for others to follow

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#14 30-12-08 23:50:54

john55
Verified Member

well done Rooster. Great result. Loved your write-up. Big congrats.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#15 31-12-08 00:45:48

rooster
Verified Member

Tx for all the congrats - still on cloud 9 !

.... and yes, I suppose I did find it easier than I had worried about - perhaps because I approached it as a lesson in real life! (Of course using all the training and tips that I've been taught and learned through this forum!)

#16 31-12-08 00:56:19

skoolbus
Verified Member
Website

Well done rooster.  When i read your post this morning I had a feeling that you were going to pass big_smile.  Thanks for the write up,very helpful..

#17 31-12-08 02:25:08

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Fantastic m8,, superb, now you WILL have a great new year smile

#18 31-12-08 17:12:00

rooster
Verified Member

I've been asked about my reference to PST's, and how I referred to them during the exam, (a couple of times), and whether the examiner frowned upon it?
On the contrary, on my first attempt in September, the SE even went so far as to tap my folder to direct me 'back' to the PST's when I was losing focus!
This time I referred to them only briefly to ensure I kept my focus on the faults that the SE could be 'expected' to display! (There will be others as well!) **** But I never lost sight of the all important strategy - that the majority of your marks are from the core comps, NOT the PST check list! ****
The SE this time seemed to be impressed that I took time to refer quickly to my 'notes' before blundering on!
The PST's can be found somewhere on the DSA sites and downloaded, but if you can't find them, PM me and I'll forward the PDF file I have.

#19 31-12-08 17:22:26

rooster
Verified Member

In addition, I also bore in mind a matter that I have been told several times by an experienced trainer:- You start your exam as a 6/6 pass, i.e perfect, and you work your way DOWN from that with the number of cock-ups you might make! Not the other way around - trying to impress them with your skills; it is 'presumed' you have them, (the skills), until you show otherwise!

#20 31-12-08 19:35:34

Disky
Verified Member
Website

nice one m8 smile

#21 01-01-09 12:25:40

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Good on ya Rooster - well done.

Now you get to shell out £300 for a green piece of paper!!  tongue big_smile

#22 06-01-09 12:28:26

MFB
Verified Member

Hi
Well done Rooster - great write up too - Thanks.

Referring to your sentance

"I've been asked about my reference to PST's, and how I referred to them during the exam, (a couple of times)"

Can I just ask what these are? Are they the examiner's check sheets ADI 26/PST 01-10?

Thanks

#23 06-01-09 16:25:22

rooster
Verified Member

"I've been asked about my reference to PST's, and how I referred to them during the exam, (a couple of times)"

Can I just ask what these are? Are they the examiner's check sheets ADI 26/PST 01-10?

MFB ...... yes, the Pre Set Test checklist off the ADI 26 form for the Part 3 exam.  I photocopied the whole sheet(s) then cut down the checklists to clip into the relevant part of my lesson plans folder/illustrations.  If you can't find them on the DSA site or Transport Office, then PM me and I'll send you my PDF file with them on.  I've tried attaching them to this post, (maybe that works??)

Board footer