You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#126 25-11-09 12:20:25

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Re: Position for Corners.

The clip does not show us the same depth of view that the driver of the vehicle has, the position of the vehicle is also difficult to judge on video and we  not made aware of the drivers speed.
Without the benefit of 'full observations' it is impossible to make an assessment of the drive in relation to whether the appropriate postion, speed gear and point of acceleration was adopted for every hazard.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

25-11-09 12:20:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#127 06-12-09 02:39:34

Adi1234

I think the video that was posted. I.e Cornering demo was against what I would teach any pupil there was alot of unnesercary crossing of the white line driving in the middle of the road. for no reason at all Some of it was needed but on the approach to a sharp dip in the road was imho dangerous Imagine a hedge cutter the other side of that dip with lorry at speed overtaking Coming towards the car. The same situation happens time and time again in that video. I can understand the advantage of visiblity by moving towards the right hand side of the road but not when There are serious potential harzards coming towards the car.

#128 06-12-09 08:45:05

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I personally do not see the benefits of this-only the dangers. If an appropriate spped is chosen it is safer to enter a junction slower than to adopt a wide position.

There was a thing on tv a while ago motorbike had gone over centre line entering a bend and come acropper on the other side when found a horse in the road.

Police take on it -dangerous driving as was clearly over the line.

Why take chances.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#129 06-12-09 12:07:19

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Only read a little bit of this but I just did ROSPA test today and got gold.

At the start the examiner spoke to me a little bit about the differences between DSA & ROSPA, and he mentioned cornering techniques.  He said he expected positional changes, but not over the white line unless I could see it was absolutely safe and clear and I had told him it was so, then in those circumstances, on a right hand bend, I would be in close to the left on the approach and as I was round the corner and it opened up, I would go straight to the white line, and it was ok if the rear wheel clipped or crossed the center line.

As it's been peeing down with rain and there were puddles in the gutter, on several occasions I deliberately drove in the center of the road to avoid the puddles, having checked it was safe and telling the examiner what I was doing before I did it.  At the end he said that was good as I didn't know how deep the water was, or what was in it.

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#130 06-12-09 12:19:35

on board training

Hi,

Excellent result on your Gold.

The surface water to your left is a good reason, if safe, to take up a safety position and use more of the road.

The main crux of this thread is the differences in what is being told or accepted down the line when the main organisations of the IAM and RoSPA say what you have been told or accepted by your tutors/examiner is not current practice re crossing simply for better view and stability.

But this has all been thrashed out in this thread and the differences will remain for many years to come.

Brian

#131 06-12-09 12:59:51

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Well even though im not sure i agree with that either-the guy in the video was clearly about 50% into the right lane on some of those overtakes.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#132 20-12-09 15:08:40

jonnmedds
Verified Member

One of my students has recently taken the RoSPA test and was given gold. After he was told the result the examiner said that he had one critisism.
He said when driving along a dual carriageway and taking a left corner you should have positioned yourself in the right hand lane to improve your view. Now I do understand what he was saying, but this dual carriageway has a 60mph speed limit and there is not one corner that requires a driver to lower their speed below the limit. In fact if we're talking about speed that we can stop at, in the distance we can see to be clear we could take these corners at a speed much higher than the limit.
I can see the logic for police drivers travelling at very high speeds, but think for civilian drivers, why?

Happy with his Gold though  big_smile

Jon

#133 20-12-09 15:43:49

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

The examiner in question obviously does not understand the principles behind 'extending'.
It is not necessary to consider extending if there is no advantage to be gained, as in the situation you describe. big_smile

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#134 20-12-09 16:06:36

jonnmedds
Verified Member

The examiner in question obviously does not understand the principles behind 'extending'.
It is not necessary to consider extending if there is no advantage to be gained, as in the situation you describe. big_smile

I totally agree, as far as i'm concerned, there has to be an advantage to be gained if you're going to change your position for a bend.

If he'd been travelling at 120mph, i'm sure there would have been an advantage big_smile

Jon

#135 20-12-09 17:10:11

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

The youtube clip is of the road from Horton in Ribblesdale, at the T junction [Ribblehead Viaduct visible on the left] joins the Ingleton/Hawes road heading towards Hawes. Just in case anyone was interested.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer