You are not logged in.

#1 29-10-08 12:35:56

rooster
Verified Member

PST Examiner Checklist Forms. (CRIB sheets)

The (PST) forms that the Examiner uses have all the boxes ready to be ticked, and if you have a kindly examiner, they give you plenty of time to look at the form as you are asked to sign the top 'disclaimer' box before you go out to start your exam. So you then know which PST's you are to be examined upon. As I was only recently informed by my trainers that you can actually obtain copies of these forms, (they're not secret), I made do with photocopies and attached them to my lesson plans. My exmainer noted that I had the little 'crib' sheets, and she actually referred to them and pointed me in the right direction when I strayed off subject! A shame that I still only managed a 4 -3. :? I would like to find out if anyone has found these forms available on the Government websites, or DSA sites, available to download.  As an aid to focussing your attention onto the PST during your Part3 test - they are surely invaluable to have with you?

29-10-08 12:35:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PST Examiner Checklist Forms. (CRIB sheets)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-10-08 13:14:01

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I used to give copies of all of these to all of my PDIs.

They do help as they effectively tell you what mistakes are going to happen, and what to cover in your briefing (if necessary).

I think there's copies in one of the examiner's guidelines pdf's (DT1) from the DSA site, or I've got easily printable copies on my own site (http://www.beyonddriving.co.uk/driving- … resources/). I've also written the guides to the PSTs that I used in my training course (http://www.beyonddriving.co.uk/archives … ng-course/).

Hope this helps.

#3 29-10-08 13:45:42

rooster
Verified Member

I've had a quick look at the sites you mention................  Where have you been all this time???

There is some positive stuff here at first glance - just what we all need - practical and focused help on 'passing the test'.

Can't thank you enough for this - I'll get down to some serious revision for my Part3 2nd attempt using your stuff!

#4 29-10-08 13:47:26

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I've been around far too long rooster!

You just find the answers you need when you ask the questions - it's easier than trawling through the haystack hoping that you'll find a needle.

#5 29-10-08 14:23:50

rooster
Verified Member

................. How true - 'You don't get - if you don't ask!'   But you still need a charitable soul on the receiving end to answer!

Well Done and Thanks again. 

If anyone else reads this :- although you may be told by your trainers that there is more to being an instructor than just 'passing the test', it is that hurdle which we have to leap first; and a greater emphasis on exam technique and focusing on the PST's can only be the key!

Never Give Up!

#6 29-10-08 14:34:06

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Rooster - I have to disagree to a certain extent.

Exam technique and focus on the PSTs is something which most trainers do from day one of part 3 training and is the reason for the woefully low pass rate for the exam.

Part of the reason for the PSTs being down at lesson 31 on my training course is that without the basic skills in place - then focussing on the PSTs and the exam itself is worthless - both a waste of time and your money.

I have trained instructors who have had over the recommended 40 hours of exam prep for their part 3 with whom I have had to trash every single thing that they have done, as it has all been built with no foundations whatsoever.

As an illustration of this - one of my former customers went into his part 3 (against my wishes, but...) without a briefing or lesson plan for 4 of the PSTs. We simply did not have the time to cover them as we needed to work on his instructional abilities. On the day he got one of these PSTs.

He passed with a 5/5.

When I asked him how it went, he told me that he simply worked to the standard formats for good instruction and lesson planning that we had laid down in the preparation, and used the skills we had been working on in relation to level of instruction, core comps and Q and A techniques.

So if you don't mind me saying - stuff the part 3, stuff the PSTs - you don't even need to know them (though like any exam, if you know the questions in advance you're more likely to do better).

The fact is that you need to be able to instruct.

I would suggest that if you have so little confidence in your trainer then maybe you are with the wrong person.

A trainer should show you how simple it is to conduct a good lesson and instruct - because it should be. Once you've got the hang of this, all the PSTs are is a framework within which you can show off your skills.

Instead of thinking that you need to pass an exam to be an instructor, remember that you need to be an instructor in order to pass the exam.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-10-08 19:46:19

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

So if you don't mind me saying - stuff the part 3, stuff the PSTs - you don't even need to know them........................

The fact is that you need to be able to instruct......................Instead of thinking that you need to pass an exam to be an instructor, remember that you need to be an instructor in order to pass the exam.

Best bit of advice anyone wanting to become an ADI will ever receive, how many will listen though?

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#8 29-10-08 22:59:48

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Rooster

If you join the ADI forum, (Sorry Vanda) you can download very realistic copies of the actual papers. Virtually identical to the actual thing.

The problem at the moment for most on part 3 is not knowing how to pass a part 3, never mind knowing how to instruct!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 29-10-08 23:03:30

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

I take it the 22nd sept was  a fail then rooster  neutral
How did u find it...is there a write up sumwhere have looked but cant see one  :?

#10 30-10-08 00:07:03

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

If people learn to instruct they'll pass part 3, they'll also be equiped to actually do the job.
If people learn to pass the test, they may well do so. They'll also probably last less than 12 months as an instructor.

There is a hell of a lot more to being an instructor than passing part 3. If people want to do the job, then do it properly. Alternatively they can learn to pass a test, then go out ill equiped to actually do the job and teaching pupils to scrape through their driving test. People should learn and be taught properly, not just to pass tests or, to be brutally frank, not bother. They should'nt be taught to pi$$ about with peoples lives.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#11 30-10-08 11:57:04

rooster
Verified Member

It's very reassuring to see that this forum generates so much usefull information and comment, and I for one am very grateful for every response.

The emphasis on 'cribbing' and 'Passing the test' is, as I said, an aid to getting over one 'hurdle' we have to leap successfully.
But only one of the hurdles!

We cannot, as has been said, just pass the test by getting the PST check boxes ticked, there are of course ALL the other elements of being a competant instructor for the exam on the sheet such as 'Core Competancies, Instructional Techniques and Instructor Characteristics!'  We have to show we have ALL the skills to the high levels required before we pass.

My fail at first attempt, a 4/3 on PST 1, (Beginner - Controls/ Full Licence Holder/Crossroads), generated the comment from the examiner that I had, "Lost focus" from the subjects covered in the PST and had therefore "wandered off the page!" It was she, the examiner, who advised me that the faults that would be displayed during the phase were limited to the items on the checklist.   I had been too distracted I believe, trying to spot and remedy imagined faults that were not there! The other aspects of the test, Core Comp's etc, were satsfactory and on some points, excellent!

Ah well, I did have that 50/50 pragmatic approach to the attempt, (although I was quietly optimistic, and mildly confident that I would do well enough in the test), I have learned a lot from the experience and will pass next time!

#12 30-10-08 15:02:58

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Have a feeling you'll do well rooster, you look beyond first appearances and are able to self analyse.

Bear in mind that if your controlling your "lesson" properly on part 3 (especially the second stage) there shouldn't be too many faults to remedy as you'll have pre-empted most of them.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#13 30-10-08 20:44:05

rooster
Verified Member

As a final comment, can I say how much the help and advice that is freely given out here is very welcomed, and very much absorbed!

Thanks especially to Dave who forwarded the pdf's of the PST's to me, and to 'tony adi' for his kind comments - hope you're right!

So if anyone wants a copy they could get in touch with me, "roostermail2005-driving@yahoo.co.uk" and I'll forward them.

Board footer