You are not logged in.

#1 08-10-08 13:48:56

kipperscar

Meet/cross/o.take with ad.cl & anticipation ph.1 & ph.2

Hi all. Help! Pt3 on 23 Oct. What could be the possible w.p for this pst? I'm not if the SE would want me to cover more than one of the main topics or will it only ever be one of them, plus adequate clearance and anticipation? I'm still trying to work out the best way to lay out the Q&As of my lesson plan. All advice greatfully recieved.

08-10-08 13:48:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Meet/cross/o.take with ad.cl & anticipation ph.1 & ph.2

#2 08-10-08 16:39:35

may
Verified Member

I had this for my Part 3, the word picture is partly trained, > Q & A previous knowledge, MSM, if crossing q&a turning right. The brief will include expalining Hold back position as its new and routine on approach to hazard. For crossing all q&a, adequate clearance is just explaing the saftey bubble and you can q&a anticipation.
If you need any help i still have my lesson plans for this PST(as its the one i passed with) PM me and i will send you them to have a look at.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 08-10-08 17:49:33

Luchell
Verified Member

You will always get anticipation plus two of the others. You won't know what's chosen for you until the word picture, I also passed with this one, PST 10, i had meet, overtake and anticipation.

The briefing was literally just that, brief  lol I used q and a to establish what was known already and filled in the blanks easily enough. I had it for phase one, he had been studying for his theory and knew a little about meeting traffic, anything that was missing i quickly put in before we got on and put it all into practise.

If he hadn't a clue I would have done a slightly more interesting briefing but thanks to his responses to my q and a that wasn't needed. Briefing on overtaking and anticipation didn't take long, I've known some get into trouble taking FAR too long on the briefings where they were unable to source out what the 'pupil' MUST know to carry out the task at hand leading to what they should know then if time could knows can always be bought in time permitting and situation dependent. In other words teaching from the known to the unknown.

It's easy to go round in circles on a brief if you're not careful and i found with this particular PST it's only too easy since as it's multiple topics being dealt with when actually this combination above isn't too bad at all once you get your head around it  smile Nothing worse than looking at the clock and realising you're 20 minutes into phase one and still in the car park  yikes lol DOH. The word picture i had was my pupil had done 7 hours of lessons so far.

However good preparation is the key to knowing how to efficiently time the phases and make sure enough practise can be achieved in the given time of 30 minutes give or take.

Other bits and bobs whilst i think of them -

Off topic but whilst i remember don't forget you have a 50 percent chance of having to teach a right reverse OR left for that particular PST. Thought i would mention that as it seems some think only a left will be asked unless you turn up in a van.

Make sure you know which psts will require a brief in the car park and which should be done when you reach the destination of say the turn in the road. Great fun doing a really nice little briefing in the test centre only to get the SE to the chosen site and them turn and say 'You what? I've forgotten sorry'  lol Psts where two topics must be covered i.e Pst 5 use of mirrors emergency stop will need the mirrors dealt with before leaving for site so you can put it into practice then brief the emergency stop once you are there. So make sure you are comfortable with what should go where so to speak  lol Obviously don't forget the mirrors again after some turning in the road practise and you are heading back to the TC.

Start as you mean to go on by getting control of the lesson and keeping it! Having control right from the word go makes you feel that much better which isn't suprising! No chasing your tail in circles trying to catch up even before you drive out of the car park! Nothing nicer than grabbing your seat shouting 'YOU'RE GOING TOO FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT' as you literally take off and fly out the test centre car park whilst covering your eyes and hoping for the best  yikes lol

I wasn't prepared to take a chance that my 'pupil' would behave so I got him to tell me what speed he thought we could pop across the car park at and how exactly was he going to keep the car slow enough? He answered correctly regarding clutch control and what he would do with the clutch if he was moving to slowly or to fast. Again he answered correctly. I asked him to show me this 'Nice' clutch control he said he had and he did just that. Yes he could still have shot out the car park after giving me correct answers but again jump on that if the S.e trys the 'Hold on to your knickers' approach to clutch control   roll  lol   YOUR car, YOU'RE in charge, don't be afraid to speak up. If you feel something's not right from a fault point of view it's likely something indeed wasn't quite right so don't be afraid to go with your gut instinct, he may be an S.e who knows his stuff but whilst in roleplay hes YOUR pupil and you know best  wink

I also parked at the back of the car park thanks to a tip from a trainer on here few years back, it gave me time to make sure i could talk him through anything i would need to in time for the first emerge from the car park.

There are some great trainers who spend time here helping, I am sure they will pop by to offer any words to help but for now I thought i would pop the above here incase it's any help  smile

#4 08-10-08 18:18:49

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I was going to post this:
http://www.beyonddriving.co.uk/2007/08/ … -psts-210/

but Luchell got in with all the relevant points and more useful information!

#5 08-10-08 18:25:17

Luchell
Verified Member

You mean you read my post Tim? Glad to hear you didn't fall asleep reading it  lol tongue

#6 08-10-08 18:30:02

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

It reminded me of a few tricks that examiners throw in for fun (one's that learners don't really do that often) like the zooming off from the car park!

The tip about asking them about speeds (even if it's just walking, jogging, running etc) then asking them how they're going to control the speed is a great way of heading off the problem before it occurs.

Board footer