You are not logged in.

#1 10-04-05 11:49:47

andymk

part 2

ive got my part 2 test in luton on the 27th april (lunchtime)....does anyone have any tips ?

i own a renault clio...low mileage for its year...apx 58k on a 1998 plate and in immaculate condition (i bought it to train in and to hopefully use once trained up....well for the 1st few months at least.   does anybody think this would be too old a car to take pupils in ?
my trainer thinks its ok and is fine.....the age of the car does make me wonder though ?

andy

10-04-05 11:49:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: part 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-04-05 12:00:35

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I always tell my PDI's not to assume they have failed and to carry on as if they have done nothing wrong - you are not the SE and you while you may have correctly assumed a fault you will not know if it a serious or a driver fault (minor)  (I tell the L pupils the same)

I had a PDI recently who did a reverse park and the SE asked him if he had finished ?? the PDI said yes and drove on assuming he had failed as he was a fair way from the kerb

The SE had put a . by the exercise and as he only accumulated 2 faults he passed and the SE explained his markings to him

The PDI said thank god you told me not to assume I had failed cos I nearly gave up then and there

Good luck on 27th

Regards   lol

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#3 10-04-05 12:03:33

Anonymous

Andy, the age doesn't matter.  As long as it is clean, tidy and easy to drive then it doesn't matter.

There is a lady I know who has an M reg Rover convertable.  Haven't seen her with the top off but she has been using it now for the past 2 years I know of.

At the end of the day, it is you, your personality and your teaching ability that counts.  If a learner had a choice between an ADI who rants & raves over the least mistake in a brand new Focus/Astra and a patient, calm ADI in a 7/8 year old clean tidy car then I know who would be busiest.

Wessex.

#4 10-04-05 12:59:13

andymk

thanks jeni and wessex for your replies.  i am looking forward to taking my part 2 test and all going well will pass, nerves withstanding. 
i bought the car to use specifically for training and for then using to teach in, its a 1.4rt and is nice car to drive.
my training so far has been payg and will save me a fair bit.......also my trainer is very good.

andy

#5 10-04-05 20:52:07

drivingwithsue

Hi Andy!

I don't know if you've been to the Luton test centre or not, but if you haven't, I'd advise that you take a drive down there and around the local area. I recently sat my part 3 there and can't say it was the nicest of test centres location wise.  It's in the older part of Luton and the roads are quite narrow, a lot of them are one way and have cars parked on both sides. There's lots of speed humps around too. During my part 3 the SE took me down an area with lots of shops and pedestrian crossings. My test was on a Saturday so this was pretty hectic (especially seeing as I had pedestrian crossings as my phase 2 PST!) I did my part 2 in Bedford which in my mind is a much better placed test centre.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the test. Try not to think of it as a test and be confident in your ability!

Best of luck for the 27th!

Sue

#6 10-04-05 23:57:05

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

My test is on the 20th second attempt - 9 minors to beat.
Hope I can turn  sad  to this  smile

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#7 11-04-05 09:07:05

andymk

thanks for the tips "drivingwithsue"
- yes ive driven some of the test routes around luton with my trainer. 
i didnt find the test center very easily as its tucked away down the back streets, at least on the day i will know where to go.     i aim to arrive in luton early and do some driving around on my own to get myself relaxed and hopefully to do some last minute manouvres to settle my mind. will have a quick coffee somewhere and will then head to the test center and try my best.    the only manouvre ive not been totally relaxed about is the turning around a right hand corner and how much right hand mirror useage i am allowed.   ive practised this to where i am happy and will just hope all ok on the day.

andy

#8 11-04-05 11:42:29

drivingwithsue

Hi Andy!

Regarding your right hand mirror use - my instructor told me to have a sneaky look in my wing mirrors everytime I did an observation check. Might have done all round observations more than was necessary, but by looking  in the wing mirror each time, I got a good idea of where I was!

Best of luck for 27th!

Sue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 11-04-05 11:59:03

Django

drivingwithsue wrote:

Hi Andy!

Regarding your right hand mirror use - my instructor told me to have a sneaky look in my wing mirrors everytime I did an observation check. Might have done all round observations more than was necessary, but by looking  in the wing mirror each time, I got a good idea of where I was!

Best of luck for 27th!

Sue

Quite right as I always say you can never do too many obs but you can do too few.

Ditto for the 27th

#10 11-04-05 14:09:16

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi guys,
just wanted to wish andymk and sibeks all the best for their Pt 2's later on this month.
I wish you could both get my examiner as he was great... really relaxed me even though I thought I'd blown it on my first manouevre, the dreaded right reverse!
Cheers guys and the very best of luck,
Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#11 11-04-05 17:11:31

Dom Kavanagh

yes, the best of luck andymk, with your part 2.  I've got my third and final attempt at it on Friday 15th.  I'm also concerned about the right reverse.  On a repeat OR 7 one of the coaches told me you can open your off-side front window to check the position with regard to the pavement as you reverse around the corner. I'd never heard of this, but am thankful for the advice he gave me.  Has anyone else heard of this being allowed?  I'm surprised I wasn't aware of this until now.  I'm doing my part 2 in my own car this time, as I feel more comfortable doing it in my car which I'm used to.  Has anyone else used their own car?

#12 11-04-05 17:57:14

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Yes - I used my own car last time and going to use it next time.
Yes - Your allowed to open you're window to check the right reverse.
Good luck this Friday on you're 3rd attempt, don't let the nerves get to you too much - I can talk though, it got to me making me make these too many mistakes.

Regards

#13 11-04-05 18:39:53

luchell

fingers crossed for you dom. keep those nerves at bay with some calms tablets.and then go and show him just how he wishes he could drive. lol  lol
let us know how you get on .do you feel confident with your manouvres etc. i always thought i would dread the right reverse, now i find it fine but the reverse park well thats another story. that was my pet hate on the L test, had it and still passed, so i'll be crossing my fingers whilst im doing it on test ive got a couple more weeks to practise yet as my first attempt is 3.5.05
how did you do on your or7 mock tests? i had mine last monday at bath. I presume we're both training with bsm? would that be right big_smile

#14 11-04-05 19:31:57

drivingwithsue

I took my part 2 in my own car - a huge 1.8 Mitsubishi Carisma. Visibility out the rear was terrible, but I had an excellent tutor who helped me find my turning points which made a real difference. If I hadn't have done it in my car, I wouldn't have had a car to take it in! Glad it was my car as I felt much more comfortable in it and far more confident. I knew what the brakes were like and it's acceleration power etc, so it gave me an edge when dealing with road situations. Only reason I didn't do my part 3 in it was that my insurance company wouldn't insure any other driver to drive it. Passed it on to my hubby and bought myself a new Renault Modus which is now my teaching car.

Wishing everyone the best of luck for their part 2's!

Sue

#15 11-04-05 20:12:52

Dom Kavanagh

Hi Luchell.  I feel confident enough with all but the right reverse. Still get too near the kerb from time to time once 'straightening up' in the side road - ie. sometimes I'm not straight and bump the kerb, or worse... The other manoeuvres I've nailed.  My last repeat OR 7 with BSM went well, though for my part 2 first and second attempts they didn't - nor did the exam in each case. Never got the better of me and so did a very poorly timed right reverse during the school run, sun in eyes...etc...etc... (all the excuses I can muster for this failure!)
The BSM training has been good, but I find the one-to-one scrutiny under exam conditions very testing - I suppose alot do if they're honest.  I feel more confident this time.  Your OR7 sounded a good effort with only minors and some of which, as you say, the SE might 'ignore'.  All the best with your first attempt. Let's hope it's the first and only attempt for you.

#16 11-04-05 20:41:03

Rog
Website

I'd also like to offer my best wishes to andymk and sibeks. I've got my part 2 this Thursday (10:30). Went out for my mock with my instructor this afternoon. I was smooth, good motorway drive, obs and manoeuvres except for the reverse park. Had cars coming at me from both directions, I thought I kept my cool and kept up my obs, but apparently, I also picked up my speed slightly and touched the curb. Other then that it would have been a pass  sad . I'm annoyed with myself, as I've practised really hard. Still, I'll be back out tomorrow practising again in busier roads to get use to approaching traffic.

Hell, I'm so nervous I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about my test now, god knows what I'll be like on the day. I just hope I can sleep the night before  :shock:

Rog

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#17 11-04-05 20:44:35

Django

Dom make sure you have a ref point in the back so you know how far from the kerb you are. I don't want to sound patronising to you as I'm sure you have sorted this out already. It is back to basics but it works. Good luck with the part II mate.

#18 11-04-05 20:55:20

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Good luck for Thursday Rog, I see you're in Slough, I'm taking mine in Slough the following Wednesday. I did route 3 last time which took you out onto the M4 from J5 to J6. Just thought I would let you know.
All the best

#19 11-04-05 21:20:34

Rog
Website

Oh my god, Sibeks  :shock: the 3rd route info is like gold dust. I've been harping on at the DSA and the Slough SE to publish the extra route for months.

Can I ask if you would forward me a copy please. I don't want to chase them again or I'll have failed before I've started (if you know what I mean)?

Regards
Rog

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#20 11-04-05 23:07:42

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Rog,
It is a problem, I too like you sent off for the routes and they only provided routes 1 and 2 knowing there are more. I did route 3 and another person on the forum did route 4 which I understand takes you out onto the M40. I'm just going to have to take what's thrown at me!

#21 12-04-05 21:02:20

sardine
Verified Member

When you get in touch with the DSA for test routes either e mail them or put the request in writing and mention the Freedom of Information Act.
If they withold information then they are breaking the law.
I work in local government and it's more than our job's worth to ignore a request for information.
If you are training to be an ADI see if a nice helpful qualified ADI will request the information for you.

Passed 1st Theory 31.08.04
Failed 1st Practical 21.03.05
Passed 2nd Practical 23.04.05
Completed Pass Plus 07.05.05
Drives an "M" reg Astra called Simon
Sardine

#22 12-04-05 21:14:44

Rog
Website

Sardine,

I see where you're coming from and agree. However, after emailing the DSA on numerous occasions, who, in turn, phoned and chased the SE at Slough badgering him to release them. This was followed by me going down there to question why he hadn't done it.

I don't think it's in my interest to push it any further seeing as it will no doubt be him who takes my part 2 on Thursday.

If I here any more, I'll post the details.

Regards
Nervous of Slough

#23 12-04-05 21:30:22

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

The guy who failed me first time round his name is Peter Vaughan SE, I wonder how many SE's there are in Slough?
Anyway Rog, good luck and try and catch his name and route number you're doing.

All the best

#24 12-04-05 22:02:01

Rog
Website

Sibeks,

Are you sure his name wasn't Peter but Mike. It was a Mike Vaughan that the DSA told me to see as the SE at Slough?

Thanks for you best wishes anyway.

Regards
Rog

#25 12-04-05 22:19:40

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Yes, you may be right, but I know his name was Vaughan and wares glasses. Hope this confirms.

Board footer