You are not logged in.

#1 08-04-05 23:28:09

Mmm

Part 1 trainee with a few qus

Hi all
thought id post on here after reading some sound-sounding (?!) advice on here for some time. Im training for part one and cant wait to have a crack and get on with the tests . will be doing it off my own back/payg. just a few questions tho
-Is 24 too young? I know its not technically but is this an advantage or disadvantage in practice?
-Does anyone know what prospects of work are like in my neck o' the woods (chichestr/bognor regis) when/if i do qualify?
-When i mention to ppl i want to be an ADI their first reaction is to laugh or smile. why do you think this is?
-there seems to be some issues between adi's an examiners. whats that all about? is being an examiner a career progression?
-for those who've passed part 1 - did you find your HPT marks were higher lower or the same as you were getting on the focus cdrom?
So many questions!! Hope some day Ill be able to give some people some answers.
By the way this is my first real post so to say a bit more about me, im 24, crazy about cars (although im not a boy racer) and since graduating 3 years ago ive been self employed in the travel business, been unemployed since packing that in (to spend more time in the country) for almost 3 months cos no-one will give us a job. I have 4 minis (proper old ones) and an opel manta GT/E!

08-04-05 23:28:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 1 trainee with a few qus

#2 09-04-05 09:38:47

Django

If your good enough your old enough!

Hope that one is sorted. wink

The reaction to you wanting to become an ADI is just the reaction I got. 'Weird ain't it' :? They haven't laughed since they discovered my income. wink

Good luck with the training. I'm not from your neck of the woods so can't help with the other bits.

However you can answer a question. How come you can afford all those cars when unemployed? Just going down the DHSS to get my UB40. lol

#3 09-04-05 10:15:34

Midge
Website

Good luck with your training.  The only problem with your age is, insurance  once you're qualified,  but maybe you will have passed the magic 25 mark by then.   I'm at the opposite end of the age thing,  but I don't only get old fogeys to teach, and you won't only get young  lads,  if you are enthusiastic and competant,  you'll do well.    Probably being young is an advantage in some ways,  you won't have to ask your pupils to decipher your text messages.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#4 09-04-05 16:33:33

luchell

i used the focus cd rom. i was getting nr on full marks every time and there are a lot of clips on it. found the actual hp test much easier in that the clips were much clearer slower etc.

i scraped with 100/59 but hey thats a pass and i was happy with it. i certainly felt after getting virtually top marks on bsms clips and the focus one it helped me to prepare but it wasnt that good a comparison. my heart was coming out of my mouth. i felt very confident about all the questions but knew the hpt was going to be a bit of good luck.

im 25 and no thats not too young. currently im a qualified nurse and run a demetia unit. my back was injured last year and i started this training. i inquired at 21 thats the legal age you can do it from but due to course prices and a stern dont you dare from my parents with regards to them thinking id wasted 3 yrs at uni for nothing i did not look into it further.

good luck with part one. once youre done your research if you havent already got it you might like to pay 2 pound and get the qu and answer bank from the dsa, with about 944 questions in it that make up the part one.
i wanted that booklet as i want 100 percent sure what aspects id need to with regards to vehicle maintenance. im so glad i got it as id been really looking too deeply in to that topic and i didnt really need to in so much depth. a basic understanding would have been fine.

have you booked a date yet? good luck

#5 09-04-05 20:40:48

Mmm

thanks for the replies!
Dont worry im gradually whittling down my collection of cars to pay for food, rent, the DSA's top-quality publications, etc etc
Luchell know what you mean about the parent thing altho i feel i wasted uni too, 4 years at oxford and i still cant get a job in this part of the world! havent told mine yet...
and yeah ive got the queston bank etc. i know its gonna be a long hard road but it should be fun too! cant wait to get a part 1 test date ive sent off the form you know the one with the 2 references and apparently now you get a letter when thats done telling you how to apply for part 1....seems a bit long-winded to me but hey!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 09-04-05 21:27:48

rachdrive
Website

Hi Mnnn,

I do think that if you are doing it by yourself, and working from the question bamk this may not help that much as you not have the understanding of it all!! Don't learn the questions ad hoc, you need to understand the question and the answer to it!!

Hpt _ the best disc to help you understand this test is the LDC theory test disc. Lots of PDI's fall down on this one.

If you want to know what work is like in your area ring a few of the local ADI's and ask them.........you will get some snotty replies from some, but some will give you an honest opinion.

Also look at how many ADI's there are already as some areas are getting saturated!!

Everyone smile when they are told about the fact you WANT to be an ADI as most think you are mad and indeed you need to be a bit!!!

When you get to 25 you will be fine as insurance will go down. (as said)

Examiners are not a step up to most of us more like a step down....though if you want a steady income with holiday/sick pay then why not (and are older and thinking about your pension!!)

Pm me if you want some help with part 1!!

Cheers
Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#7 09-04-05 21:51:47

BassGirl
Verified Member

im 22 so i hope u arent too old

#8 10-04-05 17:34:55

Mmm

wow some there are some different people out there i kindof imagined all adis were fat old guys! (no disrespect at all to any fat old guys intended, i'll be one myself some day if im lucky)
Or maybe thats just the examiners...
anyway i am of course figuring out the 'why' to the pt1 answers rather than just learning, however there are some qus which seem to me to be very ambiguous and it seems on these you just have to learn the dsa answer. but i'll rant about that on a different post!

#9 10-04-05 21:17:55

luchell

im loving every minute of my training. my parents were wrong. so wrong. all ive ever wanted was to be a driving instructor from the age of 17!! mum hated it but hey now my backs too bad for the nursing i do sod that job bring on the far far better one. im not talking about money just the joy of being able to help people achieve their goals. really rewarding in my book lol im sure youre already got your text books sorted as you know its best to just check up on questions youre not sure off. but the main learning comes from driving the essentail skills highway code pass your driving test etc. then once youve had a good go with the learning not to far from the test top up by making sure you know all questions or as many as possible.

Board footer