You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-09-08 16:33:31

codetyke
Verified Member
Website

Part 3 write up - PST 1

It's a few weeks ago now, but I finally got round to doing a write-up...

Prelude

My second attempt at Part 3 was due to take place on 12th August at 8:45am. I arrived in Hull nice and early, met up with my trainer Dave of Weelz, as I was to use his car, and had 15 minutes practice before heading to the test centre. At the first attempt I hadn't gone for a practice before the test, I think this meant I was slow off the mark, and never really got going. Sat in the TC waiting I tried to let a bit of nervous energy build, I tend to be very relaxed before and during exams, again I feel this may have been a problem at my first attempt.

It got to around 8:40 when a chap came out called my name and told me the test was cancelled, the SE had called in sick.

Oh well...one of those things I guess.

Those weren't my exact thoughts at the time... not even close really.. but this is a public message board!

A phone call from the DSA later that morning and I have a new test date. 26th August 13:05.

The day comes, same routine, except this time I hadn't looked at my notes since 12th August, another ploy to make myself more nervous, and probably not recommended for those of you who are nervous enough!

In the TC and at about 13:00 the SE is spotted having a smoke.... looks like today's the day then!

13:05 and my name is called, same SE I had for attempt #1. A bit of banter between the SE, Dave and myself and then time to sign the form and get a first look at what PST I have.

I look at the form and do a double take. What??? PST 1???? No-one ever gets that!! I do a triple take. Definitely PST 1, it says beginner controls and everything... definitely not 10 or 7. The last time I practised this one was during my first session with Harry (also of Weelz) way back in February.

Phase 1

We walk out to the car and the SE tells me to get into the driver's seat. I make myself comfortable and sort my notes for phase 1 while he makes his checks. As he gets in I make some comment about not expecting to be driving today. He tells me that I'm not going to be driving. Huh? Aren't I meant to drive to a quiet area?

The test proper starts and he tells me he's a complete beginner....blah...blah....and we'll be doing the lesson in the TC car park. Ack! My notes say we'll be driving somewhere quiet and I'll be telling him about stuff on the way.

So there I am, in the driver's seat but with nowhere to go. I ask a few questions, find out he's driven a motor scooter before. It seemed silly to be swapping seats right away, so I'd better think of something to do. How about I follow my notes and just skip the bit where I drive somewhere? Sounds like a plan.

Off I go into the cockpit drill, full talkthrough and demo, I later realise I've set no aims and objectives. Then we switch seats, remembering to tell the SE to look before opening his door, and I remember to take the keys with me!

Watch the SE get in and hear him not shut his door properly smile Prompt and Q&A him through the cockpit drill, and he finds the door isn't shut properly! Explaining how to set the mirrors and he asks about the little blind spot mirrors. So I take that as a prompt to talk about the different types of glass and the blind spots, picking out a convenient sapling to demonstrate a blind spot.

Time for the controls. Start with the gas pedal, relate this to the throttle on his motor scooter. Get him to practice relating it to the mirrors. He tries to press the gas with his left foot, spotted and fixed. Onto the brakes. Explain, practice brakes, gas and mirrors. Onto the clutch, and get my book of pictures out to help with the explanation. Explain we can practice the clutch when we get onto the gears. Foot controls done!

Next the handbrake, we'd touched on this earlier, so I give an explanation and let him practice (with my foot on the brake!). Next the gears, explain neutral, and begin to explain first when the SE stops me and declares phase 1 over!

I don't think I've ever talked for so long in my life, I was sick of hearing my own voice! It seemed to have gone well, not perfect but I couldn't think of anything terrible that had happened.

Phase 2

Crossroads, a junctions lesson. SE says he's a couple of weeks before his test, blah, blah. I ask about MSPSL and get him to exit the car park slowly. He misses a mirror check and I've no time to fix it fully before the next junction so I prompt him through it and explain afterwards. It's well over 5 minutes before we see our first crossroads, and there's some general chit-chat while I'm watching him. Not a lot of point in talking about crossroads before I see his mistakes since this is phase 2. I can't remember all the errors he made or the order he made them over the following 15 minutes but amongst them were emerging without making adequate observations, right corner cut, bad positioning (including going to the wrong side of the road and asking if it was a one way street!), too fast, no signals, no mirrors and so on. Kept having to remind myself to Q&A more rather than talkthrough. I mixed up left and right on the way back! Kept watching him all the way back to the TC, he signalled too early once, spotted and fixed. A bit of Q&A and feedback in the TC and the test is over.

The result

I get out of the car and review the test in my head. Dave comes over and asks how it went. 'Much better than my first attempt,' I said, 'I think I've passed!' After a few minutes the SE reappears, he doesn't ask us to get into the car, but instead congratulates me! I did pass! A 6/5!! The SE's debrief was suitably brief. Phase 1 I'd involved him well and made it fun and enjoyable. Phase 2 my main downfall was level of instruction, not backing off early enough.

Big thanks to Harry and Dave at Weelz, and to my wife who acted as my pupil for the last few months.

Cheers,
Tony

23-09-08 16:33:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 write up - PST 1

#2 23-09-08 19:27:05

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Well done and enjoy a good and rewarding career.
- now you get to pay £300 for your green badge. big_smile

#3 25-09-08 20:46:45

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Congratulations  big_smile All the hard works paid off, the best o luck to you in your new career. wink

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 26-09-08 11:06:15

codetyke
Verified Member
Website

Well done and enjoy a good and rewarding career.
- now you get to pay £300 for your green badge. big_smile

Already have it! They put some ugly sod's picture on it though ;-)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 26-09-08 11:07:04

codetyke
Verified Member
Website

Wooooo hooooo. Another one! GREAT! Now, lets get you that £30k per year and a company car. wink

I'll PM you my address, so you know where to send the cheque and deliver the car to ;-)

Board footer